Culpepper...will he return to form? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper...will he return to form?

My guess is that Culpepper won't recover...

the real question is whether that will be determined early enough in the offseason to give Miami some legitimate other options. Regardless...its time to spend a high pick (1st three rounds on a quarterback) through the draft and not another desperate trade.

RHoffman said:
the real question is whether that will be determined early enough in the offseason to give Miami some legitimate other options. Regardless...its time to spend a high pick (1st three rounds on a quarterback) through the draft and not another desperate trade.

I can honestly say that if Pep is fully healthy . . . I can see us taking a stab in the dark at a QB, but probably a 2nd day QB. If Pep looks good, then I say we roll w/ him and Cleo and the draft pick (Joey is an insurance policy, I don't think has a future on this team).

With LT, C, OLB all being serious needs . . . I doubt we go QB on the first day. Hadnot and McIntosh would be great to keep for depth purposes, but we need some better talent on that Line, and it is pretty obvious that we need more talent at LB as well.

I guess QB day 1, even round 1 is always possible, depending who is there.

volk said:
OK, I know the board is deeply divided on the Joey/Culpepper issue, but what I am far more interested in knowing, is how many of you feel that Culpepper will regain his pro bowl form and actually be the man of the future in Miami?

I know, it is only speculation and guessing about his health, etc., but how many of you really feel Daunte will get to 100% and completely revive his career, and how many of you believe that our real QB of the future isn't on the team yet?

I hope Daunte can get back to being a stud but his age doesn't allow me to be any where near confident that it'll happen. Joey Harrington, as much as I like his youth and inteligence, just doesn't have the "it" quality. We need to draft a QB some where in the draft- 1st, 2nd, 6th, it doesnt matter. We need to start investing draft picks into the most important position on a football team. It's ridicuous to think how long this organization has gone with out drafting a QB and it's probably the main reason we are treading water. Who's to say we can't get lucky and pick up our Brady in the 6th round or have another Marino fall to us in the 1st? We won't ever know until we freagin try. I believe that CPep and JH can be very stable for this organization but they are not the future. And we need to start building for the future today.

Sorry even if he is healthy Pepper just isnt gonna cut it. Why does everyone think a running QB is gonna magically regain the form he had about 4 years ago when he was playing with all stars and future hall of famers?

Hes done, and even if healthy and playing decent is not a long term solution at QB that we really need. Playing with Daunte as our QB for 2-3 more years doing nothing but what we have been doing since marino retired isnt what i want. I want a QB who will light it up for us the way that Brady is doing for the Pats or Manning for Colts or hell even Romo for the Cowboys right now!

Im TIRED of pretending other teams trash is our treasure from the promised land. ENOUGH!! Draft our own QB and stop playing with castoffs!!
You build a team around a QB, not the other way around! Do you thing the Pats would be in contention for the SB with that crappy Offense if Brady wasnt there, no. Do you think that Colts offense would be anywhere near as good without Manning? NO!

GET A REAL QB!!

IluvJuMiami said:
I hope Daunte can get back to being a stud but his age doesn't allow me to be any where near confident that it'll happen. Joey Harrington, as much as I like his youth and inteligence, just doesn't have the "it" quality. We need to draft a QB some where in the draft- 1st, 2nd, 6th, it doesnt matter. We need to start investing draft picks into the most important position on a football team. It's ridicuous to think how long this organization has gone with out drafting a QB and it's probably the main reason we are treading water. Who's to say we can't get lucky and pick up our Brady in the 6th round or have another Marino fall to us in the 1st? We won't ever know until we freagin draft one. I believe that CPep and Jh can be very stable for this organization but they are not the future. And we need to start building for the future today.

Thank you!! Its common sense!!

Dtronic said:
No one really knows the answer to this question. Not Saban, not the doctors, not even Pep, and least of all the fans, us.

This is going to be the major dominating question for Miami for a long long time, and I am not willing to risk the 07 season on assuming he will be 100%, thus my sig.

We don't need to use our first pick for that. From where we're picking we could use later round picks and have just as good of a chance that they will be successful at that position as our first round pick. For our first round pick, we should pick a low risk position, one that will likely start right away and have an immediate impact. We will likely have a top 15 pick, so we should be able to get a good O-lineman or Linebacker at that position. Personally, I'd like to see us get the best available guard or Offensive tackle because we need to invest more top round picks on the O-line.

We could draft another QB in the 3rd or 4th round if that made sense depending upon who was available, or sign a free agent. But then again, we don't know really know what we have in both Culpepper in terms of his being able to return to form and in Cleo Lemon. Joey also might be okay with another year in the system, although deep down i dont believe he's the answer just because he hasn't proved that he can get past some of his mistake prone tendencies over the past several years which is a bit alarming.

TexanPhinatic said:
Sorry even if he is healthy Pepper just isnt gonna cut it. Why does everyone think a running QB is gonna magically regain the form he had about 4 years ago when he was playing with all stars and future hall of famers?

Hes done, and even if healthy and playing decent is not a long term solution at QB that we really need. Playing with Daunte as our QB for 2-3 more years doing nothing but what we have been doing since marino retired isnt what i want. I want a QB who will light it up for us the way that Brady is doing for the Pats or Manning for Colts or hell even Romo for the Cowboys right now!

Im TIRED of pretending other teams trash is our treasure from the promised land. ENOUGH!! Draft our own QB and stop playing with castoffs!!
You build a team around a QB, not the other way around! Do you thing the Pats would be in contention for the SB with that crappy Offense if Brady wasnt there, no. Do you think that Colts offense would be anywhere near as good without Manning? NO!

GET A REAL QB!!

Patriots built their QB around the team (if that is the other way around). They pretty much struck gold.

TexanPhinatic said:
I really dont think so. Historically, hes at the age where running QBs start to slow down and break down. ...

What running QBs are you talking about, historically? When I think of running QBs, I think of:

Steve McNair: 12+ seasons
Randall Cunningham: 16 seasons
Steve Young: 14 seasons
Warren Moon: 17 seasons in the NFL plus 6 more in the CFL

Why does everyone always throw around Joey's youth compared to Culpepper's? One is a year younger than the other!

hof13 said:
What running QBs are you talking about, historically? When I think of running QBs, I think of:

Steve McNair: 12+ seasons
Randall Cunningham: 16 seasons
Steve Young: 14 seasons
Warren Moon: 17 seasons in the NFL plus 6 more in the CFL

And none of those guys are as physically imposing as Daunte is . . . there are no worries from me if his knee is fine.

McNair is plagued by injuries. Young was forced to retire from concussions because he took so many hits while running. And both moon and cunningham went more into a pocket passing role with age.

Im not saying a running QB cant have a long career-they cant have it as a running qb, which is what daunte is. Hes not gonna be a pocket passer, because he cant sit there and read a defense, weve seen this. What he has done throughout his career is to look at his read, if it was covered he would run or buy time to throw it to moss. He cant do those things anymore.

Culpepper isnt going to magically regain his form from 4 years back, it really doesnt happen with any sort of frequency.

I would much rather take a high round QB as that is where the premium talent is, but yes it does carry a risk. With great risk often comes greater reward though. The pats kinda lucked into Brady yes, and so we could luck into someone, but id much rather go the Peyton Manning route ;) Remember, when the pats took brady they already had Bledsoe who was gonna be their QB until he got hurt and then Brady tore it up. They werent looking to replace him with Brady from the start.

We ARE looking for a viable long term QB and the best shot is with first round talent.

Dupree im not quite sure what you mean by that, but I think you are still illustrating the point that without Brady the Pats would not be where they are and have been. Could be wrong though :p

TexanPhinatic said:
McNair is plagued by injuries. Young was forced to retire from concussions because he took so many hits while running. And both moon and cunningham went more into a pocket passing role with age.

Im not saying a running QB cant have a long career-they cant have it as a running qb, which is what daunte is. Hes not gonna be a pocket passer, because he cant sit there and read a defense, weve seen this. What he has done throughout his career is to look at his read, if it was covered he would run or buy time to throw it to moss. He cant do those things anymore.

Culpepper isnt going to magically regain his form from 4 years back, it really doesnt happen with any sort of frequency.

I would much rather take a high round QB as that is where the premium talent is, but yes it does carry a risk. With great risk often comes greater reward though. The pats kinda lucked into Brady yes, and so we could luck into someone, but id much rather go the Peyton Manning route ;) Remember, when the pats took brady they already had Bledsoe who was gonna be their QB until he got hurt and then Brady tore it up. They werent looking to replace him with Brady from the start.

We ARE looking for a viable long term QB and the best shot is with first round talent.

Dupree im not quite sure what you mean by that, but I think you are still illustrating the point that without Brady the Pats would not be where they are and have been. Could be wrong though :p

So which running QBs broke down at age 30 again? I missed that.

Steve Young had the highest rushing yardage season of his career in his 8th season (which Daunte is coming up on). His second highest? His 14th.

This has as much to do with the OL and running game as anything else. If Daunte comes back full strength, but our OL still sucks, we'll suck, period, no matter who you put in there. And please don't tell me we shopuld draft a QB to be our answer in 07, they wouldn't be worth a thing untill 08 at best.

not unless that sumbaytch turns himself inta Drew Brees (which aint gonna happen...cause Drew Brees can read a defense...!)...Saban, year-3, out!

johngarry said:
not unless that sumbaytch turns himself inta Drew Brees (which aint gonna happen...cause Drew Brees can read a defense...!)...Saban, year-3, out!

What if he's recovered fully and has another over 5000 yard combined season? Will you still say he's an idiot, and he should be cut?

Back
Top Bottom