Culpepper...will he return to form? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper...will he return to form?

Redneck Friend said:
you mean the the one where he just stepped back and launched it
to randy moss and cris carter? no.

or the one where he played 4 games, threw 1td, had many int's
and collected 21 sacks and was on his back every other play?

yes! he will return to that form. hopefully somewhere else!!

KUECH FOR GM!!

I agree with your first point but on the second i disagree.

Culpepper started way too soon. I know that he will never return to his 2004 form, but Culpeppers was no where near were he could have been had we started Harrington the first 6 games.

8 more months of rehab, youll see a Culpepper that will be able to perform at a level above at least Harrington.

emocomputerjock said:
Why does everyone always throw around Joey's youth compared to Culpepper's? One is a year younger than the other!

Seriously. Some people think it's 3 years difference when it's a lot closer to 1 year.

TexanPhinatic said:
Thank you!! Its common sense!!

Building for the future is fine. That said you don't throw away a 29 year old 3 time probowler after 4 games on an injured knee. Even if we draft a QB early, he'd have to take the job from Daunte. How many years would that take? We need Daunte to be Daunte if we want any chance of being a real contender in the near future.

CP can return, however, it will probably have to be as a pocket passer. The question is can he do it? So far the answer is no. The offseason and TC will tell. If he can't we have Harrington and Lemon, then we can draft a QB for third. Vick is the type of player for unique and trick plays, he doesn't have the height to play QB in the NFL.

Dolfan984 said:
:yeahthat: no matter who's back there, without a better OL, we won't threaten anyone with the passing game

Concur with this.

volk said:
OK, I know the board is deeply divided on the Joey/Culpepper issue, but what I am far more interested in knowing, is how many of you feel that Culpepper will regain his pro bowl form and actually be the man of the future in Miami?

I know, it is only speculation and guessing about his health, etc., but how many of you really feel Daunte will get to 100% and completely revive his career, and how many of you believe that our real QB of the future isn't on the team yet?
I've been waiting to answer this question for a while....the resounding answer is NO NO NO

Dolfan984 said:
Building for the future is fine. That said you don't throw away a 29 year old 3 time probowler after 4 games on an injured knee. Even if we draft a QB early, he'd have to take the job from Daunte. How many years would that take? We need Daunte to be Daunte if we want any chance of being a real contender in the near future.

A lot of people would point to his statistics the past two seasons as proof that Culpepper is finished, washed up, and that Lemon, Harrington, or some rookie would somehow become our Romo and lead us all to the Superbowl. The truth of the matter is a lot murkier.

For certain, we know there is one, and only one Tony Romo. Every other rookie or undrafted quarterback has absolutely failed to make anything of the impact that he has, and the chances of finding a Romo or Brady are complete luck. We as Dolphins fans should know this above anyone else, as we managed to snag Marino when he fell. We might get lucky again, but it is not something that we should bank on with this team's future, especially with other holes to fill. We know we have a pro-bowl QB on this team in Culpepper, and with his contract, and the changes that we'll make in the offseason, he represents our best chance at making it back to the playoffs.

emocomputerjock said:
A lot of people would point to his statistics the past two seasons as proof that Culpepper is finished, washed up, and that Lemon, Harrington, or some rookie would somehow become our Romo and lead us all to the Superbowl. The truth of the matter is a lot murkier.

For certain, we know there is one, and only one Tony Romo. Every other rookie or undrafted quarterback has absolutely failed to make anything of the impact that he has, and the chances of finding a Romo or Brady are complete luck. We as Dolphins fans should know this above anyone else, as we managed to snag Marino when he fell. We might get lucky again, but it is not something that we should bank on with this team's future, especially with other holes to fill. We know we have a pro-bowl QB on this team in Culpepper, and with his contract, and the changes that we'll make in the offseason, he represents our best chance at making it back to the playoffs.

Well said. There's no harm in getting a QB early (though I truly believe we can fill a bigger hole than QB in the first round) but didn't it even take Romo like 3 years in the league to start? Romo is already 26 if people didn't know.

Dolfan984 said:

Hes already been thrown away by one team. This team has alot of holes, enough to lead me to believe we arent going the SB this year or next year. We are a rebuilding team, NOT a win-now team. So, rebuild! The Daunte solution was for a short term SB run that just totally imploded this year. Why keep a failing strategy??

Dolfan984 said:
Well said. There's no harm in getting a QB early (though I truly believe we can fill a bigger hole than QB in the first round) but didn't it even take Romo like 3 years in the league to start? Romo is already 26 if people didn't know.

He was undrafted as well. The kind of ability, perseverance and plain dumb luck it takes for a player like that to lead the Cowboys the way he has is phenomenal. I guess if Quinn is available at our spot we have to take BPA, but I seriously doubt BPA on day one will lead to any QB signings for us. Though truthfully, you'd have to ask CK and Boomer, those guys are crazy good at looking at draft talent.

Dolfan984 said:

Me too.. Plus even if we draft a QB early, how many rookie QBs come in their first year and light it up?

I would rather draft to fill one of our other holes, and if Daunte stinks it up give Cleo a chance..

But so far, I have hope that Daunte can step up.. We still haven\t seen what he can do healthy under our system and with some decent protection..

Sometimes a QB can take alot of time like Romo, sometimes a year on the bench is good (Carson Palmer) and sometimes they can just jump in and be great (Peyton).

But i mean, most of the best QBs in the game right now have BEEN DRAFTED BY THE TEAM THEY PLAY FOR!! Not getting into specific rounds, but listen-Brady, Manning, Palmer, Phil Rivers, Ben R (yes hes struggling this year), McNabb, and some youngsters like V Yound and Leinart.

some teams took undrafted QBs and turned them into a success, but again the theme is the same, they have only been in 1 club, such as Romo and Delhomme.

Drew Brees is an abberration, not many guys get traded/cut/released and become superstars. It happens yes, more than once yes, but it really seems that drafting is the way to go.

Just look at us! Marino-drafted by us, greatest QB of alltime: After Marino-jack.

BTW-Whats with all the Cleo stuff?? If the guy is as good as so many have said, why hasnt he gotten a chance yet?? I mean, if hes gonna be our future star youd think hed have a game under his belt by now. Sorry, hes not bad, but hes backup material.

TexanPhinatic said:
Hes already been thrown away by one team. This team has alot of holes, enough to lead me to believe we arent going the SB this year or next year. We are a rebuilding team, NOT a win-now team. So, rebuild! The Daunte solution was for a short term SB run that just totally imploded this year. Why keep a failing strategy??

The team had a brand new coach and wanted to go in a new direction. Who else do you want at QB? Harrington? :lol: The point is, Daunte is 29 and we don't get crap for cap relief for cutting him this offseason. I said it's all well and fine to draft a QB, but you need someone in there for the meantime. You don't know that a healthy Daunte is going to fail. It just seems like that's what you and some other people on this board want.

TexanPhinatic said:
Sometimes a QB can take alot of time like Romo, sometimes a year on the bench is good (Carson Palmer) and sometimes they can just jump in and be great (Peyton).

But i mean, most of the best QBs in the game right now have BEEN DRAFTED BY THE TEAM THEY PLAY FOR!! Not getting into specific rounds, but listen-Brady, Manning, Palmer, Phil Rivers, Ben R (yes hes struggling this year), McNabb, and some youngsters like V Yound and Leinart.

some teams took undrafted QBs and turned them into a success, but again the theme is the same, they have only been in 1 club, such as Romo and Delhomme.

Drew Brees is an abberration, not many guys get traded/cut/released and become superstars. It happens yes, more than once yes, but it really seems that drafting is the way to go.

Just look at us! Marino-drafted by us, greatest QB of alltime: After Marino-jack.

Peyton was 3-13 his rookie year. Marino was the best ever. Drafting a QB is a crapshoot no matter how you look at it.

Furious Yellow said:
Me too.. Plus even if we draft a QB early, how many rookie QBs come in their first year and light it up?

Exactly, a first round NT, OLB, CB, or OL would be a better choice than a QB IMO

Back
Top Bottom