Culpeppers cap hit if cut | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpeppers cap hit if cut

adamcal187

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Am I correct that if Culpepper doesn't come back from the knee or gets cut we take a negative 2.9 mil cap hit. I figured the ammoritized bonus (1.4) which is guaranteed times years left on contract(7) (1.4*7=9.8 in dead cap)and subtracted that from their cap hit(6.9)(6.9-9.8=-2.9). Is this correct.

If it is then it would seem we are semi commited to him for the next 2 yrs like it or not. Taking a neg. cap hit then adding the replacments salary just doesn't seem logical for a team as cap strapped as we are.

If these numbers are true I hope it isn't I sign of Signings from Mueller to come. Yeah Saban made the move to get him but I assume Meuller was handling the actual detailed contract info. yeah we got by for a mil last year but now are sitting with a lofty contract and no useful outs. Just seems he could have worked out something closer to Brees's which basically gave NO an easy out option after year 1.

I don't know if that's right or not, but I agree with you that we are stuck with Culpepper for a couple of years. Lemon seems almost sure to stay, and Harrington seems like a goner right now. I anticipate drafting a QB in the later rounds, as is Mueller's tendency

1. Cleo Lemon
2. Drew Stanton/Trent Edwards
3.Marcus Vick
If one of these guys works out, great! If not none of them cost very much and we will have freed ourselves of Saban's stupidity and if we have to or the opportunity presents itself, we can pursue another QB next year.

Am I correct that if Culpepper doesn't come back from the knee or gets cut we take a negative 2.9 mil cap hit. I figured the ammoritized bonus (1.4) which is guaranteed times years left on contract(7) (1.4*7=9.8 in dead cap)and subtracted that from their cap hit(6.9)(6.9-9.8=-2.9). Is this correct.

If it is then it would seem we are semi commited to him for the next 2 yrs like it or not. Taking a neg. cap hit then adding the replacments salary just doesn't seem logical for a team as cap strapped as we are.

If these numbers are true I hope it isn't I sign of Signings from Mueller to come. Yeah Saban made the move to get him but I assume Meuller was handling the actual detailed contract info. yeah we got by for a mil last year but now are sitting with a lofty contract and no useful outs. Just seems he could have worked out something closer to Brees's which basically gave NO an easy out option after year 1.
There is $5.6 million that needs to be accounted for toward the cap regarding Culpepper's signing bonus last year and the Dolphins have two options when it comes to the cap if Culpepper gets cut.

1. Take the full $5.6 million toward the cap this year. All of this would be considered dead money, but it would free up an additional $1.3 toward the cap this year bc if Culpepper stays on the roster he counts for $6.9 million ($5.5 million in salary and $1.4 in signing bonus from last year) toward the cap. The advantage of taking the full hit this year is it would free up an additional $4.2 million in cap for the 2008 year.

2. Be charged $1.4 million against the cap this year thus lowering the cap by $5.5 million dollars this year, but Miami would have no choice but to be charged the remaining $4.2 million against the cap in 2008.

As Miami wants to build for the future, I say cut him and take the hit. The success of the Dolphins offense will come on the arm of a young QB from the draft be it this year or next not Duante in my opinion.

I can't believe anyone could actually think that Cpep could realistically be cut. It simply isn't happening.

I don't understand why it helps your future. It hurts your linemen, your receivers, your running backs, and even your defense to not have the best quarterback in there.

I don't understand why it helps your future. It hurts your linemen, your receivers, your running backs, and even your defense to not have the best quarterback in there.

Whose the best QB?DC doing a Rob Johnson inpersonation?JH trying NOT to screw-up?or CL + 1 game or experience?

"Sunk Costs"

From Econterms
Definition: Sunk costs are unrecoverable past expenditures. These should not normally be taken into account when determining whether to continue a project or abandon it, because they cannot be recovered either way. It is a common instinct to count them, however.

good-bye sunk costs, don't let the door hit ya

There is $5.6 million that needs to be accounted for toward the cap regarding Culpepper's signing bonus last year and the Dolphins have two options when it comes to the cap if Culpepper gets cut.

1. Take the full $5.6 million toward the cap this year. All of this would be considered dead money, but it would free up an additional $1.3 toward the cap this year bc if Culpepper stays on the roster he counts for $6.9 million ($5.5 million in salary and $1.4 in signing bonus from last year) toward the cap. The advantage of taking the full hit this year is it would free up an additional $4.2 million in cap for the 2008 year.

2. Be charged $1.4 million against the cap this year thus lowering the cap by $5.5 million dollars this year, but Miami would have no choice but to be charged the remaining $4.2 million against the cap in 2008.

Wouldn't that be 4.2 instead of 5.6? The new rule went into effect last year that only allows you to spread out bonus $$ over 4 yrs max regardless the overall length on contract? I believe that's how it is. If that is the case, one year has passed already and with 3 yrs left at 1.4 amortized, that adds up to 4.2. Is that right or is my thinking screwed up? :)

Back
Top Bottom