Culver on Our New "Fun" Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culver on Our New "Fun" Defense

That's such a crock. Paul Pasqualoni blitzed more players at the QB last year than Mike Nolan did.

I think Pasqualoni deserved to be fired, as he would tell you and as Sparano and Ireland would say, in the end there's just an accountability issue. But all this crap about an attacking defense, talking about Pasqualoni as if he wasn't aggressive and didn't blitz, blah blah blah...I hate being fed a plate of crap and told it's caviar. And it happens pretty much every year. Every defensive coordinator is better than the previous defensive coordinator. Every new defensive coordinator "attacks more" than the previous defensive coordinator. Every new offensive coordinator is "more aggressive" than the previous offensive coordinator.

I would say what he means by fun is that its more intricate... Paul's d was very simple..Nolan has more zones, zone blitez

I have read several interviews that said Paul's D was very simple...Its all about players making plays rather than X's and O's

I think Pasqualoni deserved to be fired, as he would tell you and as Sparano and Ireland would say, in the end there's just an accountability issue. But all this crap about an attacking defense, talking about Pasqualoni as if he wasn't aggressive and didn't blitz, blah blah blah...I hate being fed a plate of crap and told it's caviar. And it happens pretty much every year. Every defensive coordinator is better than the previous defensive coordinator. Every new defensive coordinator "attacks more" than the previous defensive coordinator. Every new offensive coordinator is "more aggressive" than the previous offensive coordinator.

Being a D coordinator IMO is not just about calling a play...Its knowing when to call it..Also its knowing the situation.. and knowing where you are on field..

Paul frequently blitzed in the redzone...Why? The field is smaller..Why blitz..just my philosphy..In the NO game he blitzed the redzone before half..What a dumb call..I know hind sight is 20/20 but come on...

I think its also about knowing the other teams stregths and weaknesses...In the Carolina game Steve Smith was matched up one on one with Davis frequently..?

Why? He is there only real weapons besides their running game...Just stupid..

He made alot of bad calls...Its a chess match sometimes between coordinators..but like in chess you have great stratagists...

Paul P is not one of them..Nolan is more of that..Like Rex Ryan...Dick Lebow..

Paul was out of his league.

Pasqualoni sucked... I knew it was a bad hire from the day we brought him over from Dallas.. I know first hand from him destroying my orangemen

that's probably a reference to all the laterals and "thinking TD" when the defense creates a turnover

I think that does constitute one of the differences. They're drilling that where I don't know that most defenses do. But it's really a minor difference.

Another difference is that Nolan tries to spread out his linebacker blitzing among the two inside linebackers and one of the two inside linebackers a little more evenly. I think Pasqualoni would blitz more with Porter and Taylor, less with Ayodele and Crowder (can you blame him?), where Nolan would take a few of those blitzes off Porter's and Taylor's hands and toss them toward Akin Ayodele, who might have been replaced by Reggie Torbor in a Mike Nolan starting lineup.

This does not necessarily constitute more aggression overall. Miami had 4.36 players rushing the QB on average under Pasqualoni (4.29 in 2008 and 4.41 in 2009). If you take into account Mike Nolan's defense in San Francisco combined with his defense in Denver, he had had 4.33 players rushing the passer on average (4.22 in San Fran 2008, 4.44 in Denver 2009).

Was Nolan a tiny bit more aggressive in 2009 than Pasqualoni? Yes, by a miniscule amount. Nolan blitzed DBs every 5.6 plays in Denver, Pasqualoni in 2009 blitzed DBs every 6.4 plays. Denver had 4.44 players rushing the QB to Miami's 4.41. The differences in both are so miniscule as to barely be mentionable. And when you take 2008 into account, Pasqualoni was technically more aggressive than Nolan on a two-year basis.

We're not necessarily talking about more aggression to the QB, just a different kind of aggression. Mike Nolan will blitz the DBs just a little bit more (not much but a little). But I emphasize, the difference is not significant. The bigger difference is like I said where Pasqualoni would want guys like Taylor and Porter doing the heavy lifting from the outsides on the pass rush, Nolan will take one of his inside linebackers and make him almost as significant a blitzer as the strong side outside linebacker, who at the same time becomes a guy that drops back into coverage a lot more than Jason Taylor did.

I would say there's a little bit more movement in Nolan's defenses. Probably more fakes. More zone coverage from linebackers.

Pasqualoni sucked... I knew it was a bad hire from the day we brought him over from Dallas.. I know first hand from him destroying my orangemen

Really? Orangemen were pretty good when he was here...After he left it went downhill..You wanna blame anyone blame Robinson..That guy was awful...

When Paul was here..the organemen had good to great defenses every year...they just could not do anything on offense after Mcnabb left..

Really? Orangemen were pretty good when he was here...After he left it went downhill..You wanna blame anyone blame Robinson..That guy was awful...

When Paul was here..the organemen had good to great defenses every year...they just could not do anything on offense after Mcnabb left..

He wasnt ALL the reason.. He had Dnabb, Freeney, Bullock, Allen.. etc... he had great players that made him SEEM like a great coach. Once they left was when the program went downhill drastically, it was proof he couldnt coach up players for ****. He is held accountable for much of the reason why the football program is where it is now.

He wasnt the reason.. He had Dnabb, Freeney, Bullock, Allen.. etc... he had great players that made him SEEM like a great coach. Once they left was when the program went downhill drastically, it was proof he couldnt coach up players for ****.

Yea but he got those players to come here..Thats apart of being a college coach...

He is one of those coaches that belongs in college..

Alot of SU's recruits left after they found out he was leaving..They wanted nothing to do with Robinson..

This is that chicken and the egg kind of agrument tho..

What would Phil Jackson be without Kobe and Jordan..and Vice Versa..

But Su produced alot of pro's when he was there..and recently they produced almost none

I think that does constitute one of the differences. They're drilling that where I don't know that most defenses do. But it's really a minor difference.

Another difference is that Nolan tries to spread out his linebacker blitzing among the two inside linebackers and one of the two inside linebackers a little more evenly. I think Pasqualoni would blitz more with Porter and Taylor, less with Ayodele and Crowder (can you blame him?), where Nolan would take a few of those blitzes off Porter's and Taylor's hands and toss them toward Akin Ayodele, who might have been replaced by Reggie Torbor in a Mike Nolan starting lineup.

This does not necessarily constitute more aggression overall. Miami had 4.36 players rushing the QB on average under Pasqualoni (4.29 in 2008 and 4.41 in 2009). If you take into account Mike Nolan's defense in San Francisco combined with his defense in Denver, he had had 4.33 players rushing the passer on average (4.22 in San Fran 2008, 4.44 in Denver 2009).

Was Nolan a tiny bit more aggressive in 2009 than Pasqualoni? Yes, by a miniscule amount. Nolan blitzed DBs every 5.6 plays in Denver, Pasqualoni in 2009 blitzed DBs every 6.4 plays. Denver had 4.44 players rushing the QB to Miami's 4.41. The differences in both are so miniscule as to barely be mentionable. And when you take 2008 into account, Pasqualoni was technically more aggressive than Nolan on a two-year basis.

We're not necessarily talking about more aggression to the QB, just a different kind of aggression. Mike Nolan will blitz the DBs just a little bit more (not much but a little). But I emphasize, the difference is not significant. The bigger difference is like I said where Pasqualoni would want guys like Taylor and Porter doing the heavy lifting from the outsides on the pass rush, Nolan will take one of his inside linebackers and make him almost as significant a blitzer as the strong side outside linebacker, who at the same time becomes a guy that drops back into coverage a lot more than Jason Taylor did.

I would say there's a little bit more movement in Nolan's defenses. Probably more fakes. More zone coverage from linebackers.

yeah, Pasqualoni was a bit more strict and predictable in what he asked out of his LB's. Nolan is mixing things up a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom