Curious Case of Jake Fromm | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Curious Case of Jake Fromm

Biggest concerns within Fromm- accuracy inconsistencies and can’t throw wet ball.
Not sure the latter can be corrected.
He is better under controlled conditions.
Not sure he can play in AFC/ NFC EAST.

im weirded out that Andrew Thomas didnt play last night. I mean, wouldnt you want to keep proving yourself? Especially since he looked mediocre in the LSU game/

im weirded out that Andrew Thomas didnt play last night. I mean, wouldnt you want to keep proving yourself? Especially since he looked mediocre in the LSU game/

I'm not at all, he is a certain top 10 pick, most probably top 5. He doesn't have a lot more to prove.

Fromm is trash! If you think he is good just watch him against LSU!

So I am sure this post will bring a lot of hatred but I will preface by saying this is not me suggesting if he declares for Miami to draft him, more of highlighting what he does and other things that are frustrating but can be coached up or questioning ho big of a deal they are.

So Fromm in the Sugar bowl was pretty good, brought his accuracy back up to normal levels even with 3 new offensive linemen and one real threat at WR. Well he exploited that one match-up and made a number of throws that are high end NFL type in their execution. He also had the same problem plague him as receivers failed to separate minus Pickens, and had a WR dropping an easy touchdown in the 4th quarter which would have made him 21/30 for 300 yards and 3 TDs.

Heard on the broadcast of the Sugar Bowl that his completion percentage was effected by 7% by drops this season alone, people will look at numbers but if you haven't watched the drops have been bad and he just isn't a personality who will try and fit it in so he will hold the ball and keep progressing through his reads until he can try and find a window. And throw it in the direction of a guy where he can only catch it but likely make it uncatchable.

So that aside here is what I see in him as a prospect...

Arm strength - this is not elite but it is not bad, I would say he is even with Burrow. His velocity on all three stages is just fine. But I do think he loses some ability here because his footwork is so odd and he typically throws off a bad base. Which can be coached if he is willing.

Accuracy - this is a high end quality of his, good ball placement and anticipation. Made a few throws last night (Both TD's and a throw to Simmons) there were so well placed and thrown with great timing and rhythm. Does likely wait to long sometimes due to his O Line giving him so much time and wait for the best available throw rather than trying to make a play, but he clearly needs to trust his wide outs if he doesn't there is no forcing the ball. In previous years he knew certain guys could win 50/50 balls or could rise up and grab or catch in traffic. Definitely saw his confidence in his receiving core take a hit this year which saw his game regress. Could it have long term effect? Not sure but we will see.

Mental Game - Feel as if he is at worst top 2 in the class with his understanding of the offense and pre snap ability. He adjust runs and slides protection often, rarely does he have to look at the sideline for adjustments like so many other systems. He knows what the defense will do and like I said knows where to place the ball and when.

Athleticism - mid pack kind of athleticism. Not horrible but not elite by any means. Can run some but just doesn't do it, showed a lot more ability in the previous two years with scrambling, as he does throw okay on the run.

Physical - He is a thick kid who can take hit, good feet and height is okay (does fine seeing over his HUGE o line). Hand measurements will likely be at the bottom of what people think is okay and struggled in the rain this year, so does he need perfect conditions? I dont think so but definitely a question and theme that will be tracked.

Intangibles - elite leader, elite passion, coachability and desire. Calm guy but does have fire in him. People want to play for him and trust him on the field. Hard worker who loves football.

Overall - He is a good prospect who reminds me of Chad Pennington, high IQ slightly better arm than Penny but a guy who wont kill you with mistakes. But likely wont wow you very often. I think he will win games but can he carry you to big wins in bad conditions or against other elite teams? While he has risen to the occasion numerous times I would think the cast around him would need to be established and steady. I see him as a Day 2 guy who will end up as a starter at some point. I would personally not hang a franchise on him and would let him sit for a year or two and work on those flaws and allow him to get into the speed of the game. I wouldn't be terribly upset if Miami chose him as he does seem to be able to play up most of the time, and while his floor is relatively high his ceiling seems to be lower than other guys in the draft. He was partly handcuffed by the system UGA runs and wants to execute, especially under the first year OC but he needed to step up more.

Just some thoughts, as I see what the staff seems to desire from the QB position he has to be on their list should he declare. But others will be higher and more likely in the 1st round.

Fromm saw his stock drop the last couple of months but i agree he's still a compelling talent. Probably not a top 10 guy right now but if we drafted him 1b 1c or 2a I'd have no problem with that. I think that he's underrated now- players have bad games, it is what it is, but he's still a heck of a prospect with a lot to offer.

Bringing up future hall of fame guys to prove a point is as silly as saying wait till the 6th round to pick a QB because that's where Brady fell to. The facts are what they are, Fromm doesn't win games on his own there at Georgia, he is reliant on a strong supporting cast. Do you think Fromm would excel like Wilson in rain capital of the US, Seattle with the line they've had over the years ?

No, it's not silly. It's fact. Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, and Drew Brees for that matter, all had periods early in their NFL careers where some box score nerd tried to say that they can't win games where they're asked to throw the ball more than X number of times, or they can only be effective when the offense runs the ball really well. Every single one of them.

And every single one of them showed that it wasn't true, that it was just a function of the offense.

Already the goal posts for Fromm are moving that way because oops he threw 30+ times against Florida and Baylor and they won both games. So I guess we've got to move the magic line of demarcation to 31 attempts.

Whole exercise is beyond useless. For people who don't really know what they're doing.

No, it's not silly. It's fact. Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, and Drew Brees for that matter, all had periods early in their NFL careers where some box score nerd tried to say that they can't win games where they're asked to throw the ball more than X number of times, or they can only be effective when the offense runs the ball really well. Every single one of them.

And every single one of them showed that it wasn't true, that it was just a function of the offense.

Already the goal posts for Fromm are moving that way because oops he threw 30+ times against Florida and Baylor and they won both games. So I guess we've got to move the magic line of demarcation to 31 attempts.

Whole exercise is beyond useless. For people who don't really know what they're doing.

Frommcan’t win games on his own. He has the best Oline in college And faces zero pressureYet puta up mediocre numbers. He is a mediocre QB. We don’t need another mediocre QB. We would be better off starting Rosen.

Frommcan’t win games on his own. He has the best Oline in college And faces zero pressureYet puta up mediocre numbers. He is a mediocre QB. We don’t need another mediocre QB. We would be better off starting Rosen.

You mean the Oline that played without their starting tackles last night against Baylor?

The evidence is there on tape this year, the guy is not at all the answer at QB we need, the fit in Miami is terrible, like I said a dome team who rarely play in places like Seattle or Green Bay or New England or Chicago may be a good fit for the kid but we are not. Sticking your fingers in your ears and saying nah, nah, nah not listening isn't going to change the evidence that's all to obvious that he relies on a strong supporting cast and manages his way through games. In certain situations that's fine, Jimmy G is making a great living on doing that in SF right now, but ask yourself this question is our roster able to put Fromm in a position to succeed ?

Is Fromm going to take a bad team and make it substantially better, is he going to put a team on his back ? The likes of Kyler and Tua, can and will. If you are by nature only able to be a success on stacked football teams, are you really a strong draft prospect, 1st round prospect, prospect capable of changing the narrative on a team like ours ?

You mean the Oline that played without their starting tackles last night against Baylor?

And brought in 4 and 5 star recruits no doubt to replace them. Georgia has been recruiting ridiculously well in the Kirby Smart era, they really should have worn a national champ by now, the thing that's been holding them back is sticking with a guy like Fromm instead of passing that baton onto Fields.

Fromm strength is pre snap, it really is, so the line play is in no small part down to his ability to set those protections. That's a huge positive for him but for me the negatives of his physical ability to play the position outweigh that.

I think Fromm is a very compelling target for us at 2a or 2b. If Flores wants an extremely sharp, quick thinking QB... ala Brady, Fromm could easily be the candidate.

And brought in 4 and 5 star recruits no doubt to replace them. Georgia has been recruiting ridiculously well in the Kirby Smart era, they really should have worn a national champ by now, the thing that's been holding them back is sticking with a guy like Fromm instead of passing that baton onto Fields.

Fromm strength is pre snap, it really is, so the line play is in no small part down to his ability to set those protections. That's a huge positive for him but for me the negatives of his physical ability to play the position outweigh that.

The thing holding Georgia back is their offense. It's conservative and rudimentary. And this year they didn't really have any receivers worth anything, either.

The thing holding Georgia back is their offense. It's conservative and rudimentary. And this year they didn't really have any receivers worth anything, either.

What would Tua have done behind that line ?

George Pickens is young but pretty darn good, can't execuse all of Fromm's 2019 on the lack of receivers.

Back
Top Bottom