Cut or restructure McCain? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cut or restructure McCain?

Devin McCourty is due 11 million in the last year of his contract with NE. If he’s cut or traded post-6/1, NE can save 9 million.

Just something to keep an eye on
I wanted him last year.

I'm not sure whether we'll be in the market for vets.

I think we should control our spending and punt some resources into next year again.

Just in case this rebuild 'extends'.

McCain is the most experienced of our DBs and when he wasn't in the game, Miami got beat bad deep.

Draft McCain's replacement in the 3rd or 4th round and keep McCain around for another year or 2.

He does fine in the single high role and is well-liked by coaches and teammates.

He's a smart player.

Every time people talk McCain's 'leadership' I can't help but think of that picture of him on the bench almost crying and w that weird *** looking face he made on that shot. Don't have it and can't recall what game it was but it was a meme for a while back in the day.
Stills drop vs Seattle a few years back

Can't underestimate his leadership skills and how they are valued Flores and Boyer. He's not getting cut, restructure maybe.

Saw a few good tv camera sideline shots of McCain and Flores engaged. It was readily apparent that Coach respects what he had to say.

I wanted him last year.

I'm not sure whether we'll be in the market for vets.

I think we should control our spending and punt some resources into next year again.

Just in case this rebuild 'extends'.
Agreed. One guy I am interested in if the price is right is Malik Hooker. He has the tools to play CF, and if for nothing else would be high upside depth. Would be a major upgrade over Fejedelem (sp?)

Slot McCain > Safety McCain

Probably keep him but draft a safety to supplant him. I thought Brandon Jones had a really nice rookie year, showed flashes, and was immediately capable. Need another Jones this draft.

Odd decision to switch a player who really grew into that slot role to a lesser position after giving him a nice contract based on his play at corner. It didn't end up tragic or anything and he played well enough but that wasn't a good idea and he is a much better slot than safety.

Looks like he is #17 in the league for salary.

Not ridiculous as you make it sound.

Bottom line though, if he can be replaced with a cheaper player, fine. I'm not sure you can, unless it's a young player already here, or a high draft pick.

Salary status value may change dramatically with the pending cap cut around the corner. Teams over the top cap wise will need to cut or restructure high expense players. Those players are likely to make less if they end up leaving the team or just getting to stay with the team.

Right now, middle of the road is where a player has the best of both salary and a future spot on the team. Those guys who got big contracts prior to last season may end up making much less then they thought they would.

Salary status value may change dramatically with the pending cap cut around the corner. Teams over the top cap wise will need to cut or restructure high expense players. Those players are likely to make less if they end up leaving the team or just getting to stay with the team.

Right now, middle of the road is where a player has the best of both salary and a future spot on the team. Those guys who got big contracts prior to last season may end up making much less then they thought they would.
Good point. Kind of like a stock market adjustment.

In Bobby's case, I wouldn't rule out a pay cut/restructure. He seems like a team guy, who would be open to that. It also isn't like there would be teams lining up to write him a big check.

Bye Bobby.

Upgrade city. Jesse Davis needs to go with him. Go help a team without serious aspirations.

A lot more players need to go than need to stay.

3, 18, 36, 50 and 81 coming for your jobs.

I agree with "A lot more players need to go than need to stay.".

I feel this is a normal occurrence in the developing of a team that has such a large number of available draft picks. When you consider the possibility of a cap reduction, then an increase in good free agents will also have an impact.

They like him a lot. He's not going anywhere.

I hate the single high safety we play. McCain doesn't have the instincts nor play making ability for it.

When reciever get vertical as they have a few times on B.Jones etc those guys are really on their own.

McCain is usually nowhere to be found and when he is can't make a tackle to save his life.
I'd say he can play safety/nickel as he has done well at both. Always room for positional versatility in flores scheme. He just isn't making any plays but at least he isn't out of position. Very much our modern day Chris Clemons in that regard.

I agree with "A lot more players need to go than need to stay.".

I feel this is a normal occurrence in the developing of a team that has such a large number of available draft picks. When you consider the possibility of a cap reduction, then an increase in good free agents will also have an impact.
Exactly, when you have the sheer numbers of picks we have had over the last, and the coming drafts, there is, necessarily, going to be huge turnover. It's not a bad thing, as it almost gaurantees, barring incredible foolishness, that our cap is manageable and flexible moving forward. Of course you have to make good picks, but an important part of that is player development, as well. Flo has already proven to me he is quite capable of getting the most out of young players.

I'd say he can play safety/nickel as he has done well at both. Always room for positional versatility in flores scheme. He just isn't making any plays but at least he isn't out of position. Very much our modern day Chris Clemons in that regard.
I remember Chris Clemons actually became effective in his last 1.5 seasons here before moving on. Hopefully McCain can continue to grow into the position.

Back
Top Bottom