Cutler vs. Tannehill Season-Long Comparison Thread | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler vs. Tannehill Season-Long Comparison Thread

Tannehill will be back

McMillan will be back

The time waiting for that to happen might suck though. Losing those two guys especially handicapped on the on field leadership this team obviously is lacking. They have no fire, no life on the field. Offense still has potential though if they can find a rhythm they can steal some wins here or there.

I'll stick it out and root them on hoping for as many silver linings that I can find. The homer in me really wants them to just click and rip off a win streak. Maybe Charles Harris will have an impact. Maybe our OL starts to gel and move people consistently up front. Reshad Jones regains his form and becomes a force on the field.

The realist in me though wonders how we could look so bad against a team already vying for the worst record in the league.

We have enough talent to not be in the conversation for the top 3 picks and the subsequent usage of that pick on a QB or taking a trade down offer.

The offense still needs two OG's and a TE.

Defense needs a stud caliber player at every level.

Last edited:
Cutler will have some good games this season.

My concern at this point is more with the defense than Cutler. You could say that we haven't given up that many points, but I think part of that is that San Diego choked massively (especially in the kicking game) and the Jets were on cruise control late. Jay Cutler is going to have a couple of games where he dials in three-plus touchdowns to Devante Parker, but I don't know if our defense has even one game worth of stopping slants or deep crossers in it.

Since this is the Tannehill thread, I guess I'll also add this: I hope people can appreciate that this team's poor performances aren't just "all on the quarterback." We have legitimate personnel problems and I think the team culture is still something that hasn't quite been fixed from the Philbin era. It's going to take time.

We have a good starting QB, it's just a shame he's on IR. He took some very bad advice with that leg injury and now we're going to have 14 more games of the Jay Cutler experience. (Assuming he stays healthy.) Let's just enjoy the highs.

Last edited:
One other thing I'd like to add: Our receiving corps is overrated.

Kenny Stills is a player I like a lot, but he has ONE great talent, and that's his ability to get open deep and then help his quarterback finish the play. He is a great deep threat, but not a complete receiver.

Jarvis Landry has a habit of running backwards after the catch even when he's at the first down marker, and he's inconsistent in getting separation. In fairness to Juice, he played hurt yesterday and my biggest gripe with him as a receiver is the way that we use him. Let the man go downfield more.

Devante Parker shows flashes of utter brilliance, but there's a lot of utter incompetence in there, too. How many "he almost made a great play" moments has Parker had for us in his first two seasons and two games? At some point he needs to finish those plays. And he needs to step up and play consistently up to his ability level, which he absolutely has not done.

Then you throw in that we've got basically nothing at the TE position and that's one more factor to consider with evaluating our quarterbacks. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really do believe that our receiving corps is overrated. Not that they are bad -- they certainly are not -- but that they are not the elite unit that some folks on here would make them out to be. I think there is a reason that the team traded picks for Carroo and was looking seriously at drafting Cooper Kupp. Just being honest here.

If it's of any consolation, if one goes by passer rating alone, 34 of Cutler's 141 games as a starter in the NFL have been worse than today's.

That's 24%, or nearly one of every four.

So, if he starts 16 games this year, one should expect that roughly four of them would be like today's or worse.
Where was this when you were pushing your Cutler narrative.

I think you'll have trouble finding anything I've written that says I believe Cutler is better than Tannehill on the whole. The thing you quoted above merely describes a portion of Cutler's games, as a reason to believe it's far too early to call him "finished" at this point.

Ironically enough, Cutler's percentage (24%) of such games (with a passer rating of 70.4 or lower) in his career isn't meaningfully different from Tannehill's (22%).

YSqkM1s.gif

Cutler was the real problem today. Go back and look at the tape if you can stomach it. A bunch of drives on first down play action gave us a great opportunity to go down field and Cutler missed them all. Then Gase runs Ajayi on 2nd down all the time and goes nowhere. 3rd and long and out.

My concern at this point is more with the defense than Cutler. You could say that we haven't given up that many points, but I think part of that is that San Diego choked massively (especially in the kicking game) and the Jets were on cruise control late. Jay Cutler is going to have a couple of games where he dials in three-plus touchdowns to Devante Parker, but I don't know if our defense has even one game worth of stopping slants or deep crossers in it.

Since this is the Tannehill thread, I guess I'll also add this: I hope people can appreciate that this team's poor performances aren't just "all on the quarterback." We have legitimate personnel problems and I think the team culture is still something that hasn't quite been fixed from the Philbin era. It's going to take time.

We have a good starting QB, it's just a shame he's on IR. He took some very bad advice with that leg injury and now we're going to have 14 more games of the Jay Cutler experience. (Assuming he stays healthy.) Let's just enjoy the highs.
Cutler looks done to me.

I don't see this ever happening this year. As of now I'm hoping the entire offense can score 2 td's in the same game. As of now 0 for 2.

I don't see this ever happening this year. As of now I'm hoping the entire offense can score 2 td's in the same game. As of now 0 for 2.

It will happen. We'll have a game where the running game clicks and Cutler is more comfortable in the pocket, and the law of averages will work in our favor, and Parker will actually come down with those jump balls in bounds.

thill17 most game win as pro 8 games.... and cutler6??? same result....we came out flat and got our as beat down as team..Gase want Cutler6 so I hope it work out...but if Cutler is playing bad they should let Mat play......

Last edited:
I think you'll have trouble finding anything I've written that says I believe Cutler is better than Tannehill on the whole. The thing you quoted above merely describes a portion of Cutler's games, as a reason to believe it's far too early to call him "finished" at this point.

Ironically enough, Cutler's percentage (24%) of such games (with a passer rating of 70.4 or lower) in his career isn't meaningfully different from Tannehill's (22%).
every stat you've posted says otherwise.
vaark has it right...................
YSqkM1s.gif

and yet your last line says it all. you have a agenda.

The reason we sign Cutler was because he supposed know sys that Adams run....maybe he still need more time to learn sys... it not fair compare thill17 to cutler6..cutler sign in pre season. but if he keep playing like that they should changed qb. cutler will have some good game and bad game....

The reason we sign Cutler was because he supposed know sys that Adams run....maybe he still need more time to learn sys... it not fair compare thill17 to cutler6..cutler sign in pre season. but if he keep playing like that they should changed qb. cutler will have some good game and bad game....
Obviously you didn't read my post, because I didn't say anything about Tannehill. he was posting the comparisons, I just called him out on the fact that he didn't post that particular item.but I do find it funny that YOU want to give somebody more time that has already been in the system then somebody that's never been in the system.

Back
Top Bottom