Cutler/Whitehurst/Croyle/Jacobs/Hackney | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler/Whitehurst/Croyle/Jacobs/Hackney

my 2 cents

my 2 cents
Reaction score
OK...I watched more DVD's of these guys. Intangibles are such a big part of the QB position...here is something I noticed. Cutler reads defenses much better Whitehurst and Croyle (knowing where to go with the ball)...but Whitehurst is simply the best of the group when it comes to the time he makes a decision (not always a good one) to when the ball is gone. Cutler is more deliberate (in fact he double pumped a few times and when I REALLY noticed it was the OT Int vs. Florida...hesitated and did not read man under coverage, although it was a good play)and the windows will be much smaller in the NFL. Point here is ...if ...you can have good football intellegence you can teach reading Defense's...you cannot teach that release (it also shows confidence in his decisions). Croyle never had to carry a team and seldom takes chances with the ball (good and bad)....that does not bode well for small openings that are the NFL. Croyle is thin as a stick and shows more arm strength on the deep ball than on ropes. Whitehurst and Cutler seem to have more 'natural velocity'. Hackney has an absolte cannon, but is wildly inaccurate ...particularly high. He is also streaky although I only watched the UCF and All Star game...so take it for what that is worth. I am absoluetly not getting the Omar Jacobs bandwagon threads....He plays in a thrower friendly offense and his arm is not what I remembered. He takes alot of the "under" routes and his recievers seemed to have 4 yards seperation...so I am not seeing him fit in tight spots.

Overall this QB class is THIN!!!!! 4 years from now I predict Cutler is an expensive backup type, Young a work STILL in progress, Lienart a servicable QB and Whitehurst will depend on who drafts him and what kind of coaching he gets. The rest will remind us of Josh Heuppel....GONE....

my 2 cents said:
OK...I watched more DVD's of these guys. Intangibles are such a big part of the QB position...here is something I noticed. Cutler reads defenses much better Whitehurst and Croyle (knowing where to go with the ball)...but Whitehurst is simply the best of the group when it comes to the time he makes a decision (not always a good one) to when the ball is gone. Cutler is more deliberate (in fact he double pumped a few times and when I REALLY noticed it was the OT Int vs. Florida...hesitated and did not read man under coverage, although it was a good play)and the windows will be much smaller in the NFL. Point here is ...if ...you can have good football intellegence you can teach reading Defense's...you cannot teach that release (it also shows confidence in his decisions). Croyle never had to carry a team and seldom takes chances with the ball (good and bad)....that does not bode well for small openings that are the NFL. Croyle is thin as a stick and shows more arm strength on the deep ball than on ropes. Whitehurst and Cutler seem to have more 'natural velocity'. Hackney has an absolte cannon, but is wildly inaccurate ...particularly high. He is also streaky although I only watched the UCF and All Star game...so take it for what that is worth. I am absoluetly not getting the Omar Jacobs bandwagon threads....He plays in a thrower friendly offense and his arm is not what I remembered. He takes alot of the "under" routes and his recievers seemed to have 4 yards seperation...so I am not seeing him fit in tight spots.

Overall this QB class is THIN!!!!! 4 years from now I predict Cutler is an expensive backup type, Young a work STILL in progress, Lienart a servicable QB and Whitehurst will depend on who drafts him and what kind of coaching he gets. The rest will remind us of Josh Heuppel....GONE....

Where did you get these DVD's, particuarly Jacobs?

As good as Hackney is being talked up measuring in at under 6 foot is gonna kill his draft stock, IMO.

djfresh47 said:
As good as Hackney is being talked up measuring in at under 6 foot is gonna kill his draft stock, IMO.

He probably had the worst week overall of any player in the Senior Bowl. If he measured in at 6'1"-6'2", and had a decent week of practice, he could've easily gone in the 3rd round.

As it is, he measured under 6', and to top it off, he struggled in the practices and the actual game. At best, he's a 6th rounder right now.... or might even go undrafted.

It's a shame, because if anyone actually *watched* him in the regular season (other than the UCF game), I would almost guarantee they'd be at least a little bit impressed. His arm jumps out at you, he generally made good decisions, and he's a lot more accurate than what he showed in the Senior Bowl.

But it's hard to get on board with a guy that's under 6'.... those guys rarely make it. So I'm pretty much off the bandwagon.

my 2 cents said:

Well, I guess anything is posible but there're always some surprises.....one or 2 of the QB drafted in the later rounds could turn out to be real good.In the end, I don't care how weak the QB class turns out to be as long as we come away with a QB that can win for us and I have faith that Nick will get that guy for us.

Ozzy rules!!

I can't believe anyone would call this year's QB class weak after last year.

SpeedRush99 said:

I would take the oppertunity at Rodgers before i go after Croyle-Hackney-Whitehurst matter of fact i would have gone after FRYE before those three but hey what we are left with this year is what we go on

I say wait till next year and hopefully get Drew Stanton in the first round or Kelly Clemens later in the draft

LIQUID24 said:
He probably had the worst week overall of any player in the Senior Bowl. If he measured in at 6'1"-6'2", and had a decent week of practice, he could've easily gone in the 3rd round.

It's a shame, because if anyone actually *watched* him in the regular season (other than the UCF game).

He could NOT handle UCF's defensive schemes... it was great seeing the Knights tear him apart.

After seeing Hackney I believe he will go either very late in the draft or undrafted. I like Croyle and I agree that Whitehurst could emerge with good coaching. This definitely doesn't appear to be a deep group at quarterback.

Anybody have any opinions on Drew Olson from UCLA, maybe in the later rounds or so. I only saw a couple of his games and he looked pretty decient.

I have Jacobs against Wisconsin and Toledo...a friend transfers VCR to DVD for me and he burns DVD's of games himself...we collaborate on which games to record in order to make it through the long harsh off season...I have Cutler vs. Florida, Whitehurst vs. SC and Colorado, Hackney vs. UCF, and of course the all star games. We should get finheaven to put together a DVD/video exchange program for all the draftniks......

saves said:
Where did you get these DVD's, particuarly Jacobs?

As fans and therfore by definition it is hard for us to real good judges of down the line talent. That reqwuires a full time job as a scout. Seeing the difference from Matt Leinart to Drew Olsen is easy...seeing the difference between Drew Olsen and Josh Betts requires a more trained eye and more information than we have. We can all guess. All that said I did not see the NFL arm on Olsen in order for him to be an NFL starter. He also seemed to me to lack some pocket awareness. He looks more suited to a west coast offense, where he can go down progressions quickly and does not have to rely on his arm....dink, dink, dink. Personally I think there are only 6 QB's even draftable this year...of course because of need and the position being so important more will be picked but I see only 6 legit "prospects". Leinart, Cutler, Young, Whitehurst, Croyle and Jacobs. If you are going to roll the dice on the others I would do it for somebody that IF...BIG IF they(and VERY doubtful they will!!!) put it together had a HUGE upside like Reggie McNeal or Brad Smith.

Cannonboy said:
Anybody have any opinions on Drew Olson from UCLA, maybe in the later rounds or so. I only saw a couple of his games and he looked pretty decient.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpeedRush99 said:
I think this years mid-round prospects are better than last years, and the top of the draft is definately better than last years. As good as Brady Quinn was this year, if Brian Brohm has a solid season and comes back completely healthy I think he can compete with Quinn to be the top Qb taken, that is if he chooses to leave early. This years draft is much better at Qb than last years, IMO.

PhinSoldia said:
I would take the oppertunity at Rodgers before i go after Croyle-Hackney-Whitehurst matter of fact i would have gone after FRYE before those three but hey what we are left with this year is what we go on

I completely agree. My point was the lack of quality QBs last year.

my 2 cents said:
I have Jacobs against Wisconsin and Toledo...a friend transfers VCR to DVD for me and he burns DVD's of games himself...we collaborate on which games to record in order to make it through the long harsh off season...I have Cutler vs. Florida, Whitehurst vs. SC and Colorado, Hackney vs. UCF, and of course the all star games. We should get finheaven to put together a DVD/video exchange program for all the draftniks......

Although I've seen the Jacobs games, and I thought he was amazing at Wisconsin, and pretty good against Toledo ( but I know what you mean about taking the under routes), but if it would be possible to somehow upload those videos that would be amazing.
I'm not as big of a computer junkie as some of these guys, but I think it would be possible to "rip" the DVD's and have them avaliable in a popular format to download. I've still not seen Cutler play a game and am very curious to see where all the hype is coming from. Anyway, thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom