Cutting OG for Scott ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutting OG for Scott ?

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that they still have options should they see the right opportunity. Like with WRs, they have a couple they could cut. For instance if we had a hardon for Darnay Scott, we could cut Oronde to get him.

Problem with cutting Ward to sign Darnay is, we couldn't do it plain and simple. Cutting Ward would save us what maybe 650k or 700k max? Thats like only a 3rd of what Darnay would likely cost us. Not to mention in order to give a guy a legitimate chance you do have to clear the way for him at least a LITTLE bit. I mean, if we sign Darnay he'd probably be our #2 WR. Then we're faced with either OG or JM being paid as much as they are (to the tune of 2-3 mil a year), to be a FOURTH WR. Sorry but that just don't fly with me because there's only so much a 4th WR on a depth chart can do even if he's frickin Randy frickin Moss, and there ain't a single 4th WR out there worth 2-3 mil a year. You gotta economize at least a little, you can't just put expensive guys on your roster to sit the bench and contribute once in a while. And don't tell me "oh well when all our WRs were injured last year during the playoffs and nobody could step up I bet you THEN you'd wish we signed Darnay Scott to be our 4th WR" because even so, the answer is no. Cuz thats just one game, and you have to roll the dice and count on the chance that all our WRs would be hurting in order to say that it would be worth it.

If you sign a Darnay Scott, a Keenan McCardell, a Johnnie Morton, or Antonio Freeman, you can't just get away with dumping your 4th man down on the depth chart when you've got guys getting paychecks as big as OG and JM are. It just wouldn't work. Now if you signed a washed up guy like Michael Westbrook or Herman Moore, who you just want to contribute in key situations, you can get rid of a 4th guy for him...cuz you're only signing him for the vet min anyway most likely.

Oy guys don't make me go through all the common sense reasoning on why if any of the top 4 WR's were to be cut it would be OG again. I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing about that :lol:

Cutting OG would be like Cutting out my testicals. both would hurt me very badly.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Oy guys don't make me go through all the common sense reasoning on why if any of the top 4 WR's were to be cut it would be OG again. I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing about that :lol:
thank you; and particularly when Ozzy is making the point that we have all heard over and over than Burnett will be the only signing for now.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I would imagine that they still have options should they see the right opportunity. Like with WRs, they have a couple they could cut. For instance if we had a hardon for Darnay Scott, we could cut Oronde to get him.
your actually serious?

while orande only has one or on the outside 2 seasons left in his toes/feet i hardly think cutting him is gonna get a ton of money to get a wide out that will fill the same role.

ain't gonna happen!

Originally posted by chevysales

your actually serious?

while orande only has one or on the outside 2 seasons left in his toes/feet i hardly think cutting him is gonna get a ton of money to get a wide out that will fill the same role.

ain't gonna happen!

Orende is in the final year of his contract and his saving by cutting him would be 1.35 million. He won't be back after this year. However it doesn't seem to be a concern with the Dolphins. They will either draft a new wideout next year or get a new one in FA. Although I think Darnay Scott would be worth a 3 year contract if he were released while we groom another WR.

Oronde has a chemistry with Jay, and also has made some outstanding receptions. You don't cut a guy like Gadsden, who has a history with the team for a guy with very similar stats who doesn't.

Jay already has to learn a new system, you now want him to learn a new receiver to go along with it? We have two deep threats in McKnight, and Chambers...let's keep our possesion guy, and Jay's comfort player in Gadsden.

OG is a big weapom to lose, DS coming off the leg thing is a risk I would stick with OG:monkey:

Originally posted by ckparrothead

The Dolphins entertained signing Chris Carter only with the mindset to cut Orande Gadsden, and it was because they both fit the same MOLD, both being possesion recievers.

And I'm not sure if anyone knows this but Scott has been a cancer to his team for that last two seasons, never attending offseason workouts, and refusing to rework his deal.

He is scheduled to make something like 3.5 mil this year. What makes us think he would be willing to accept the 1.3 Miami could offer, or is he even worth any MORE?

He is a fine player, but more of a deep threat than what would be needed if OG is gone.........

Nice thoughts but I think a little more logic might be needed for this to make sense........ to me anyway

not to mention that playing for the Bungles does not prepare you for a playing for a SB contender - at least not since Boomer left.

Originally posted by Gilly
OG is a big weapom to lose, DS coming off the leg thing is a risk I would stick with OG:monkey:

He seemed to come off the leg thing fine last year... but I'd still not give up OG for him. Scott would be nice, but it seems to be unrealistic right now. Regardless of who any of us would rather see cut, be it McKnight, Gadsden, or Ward... the front office won't be very aggressive with him... he'll demand more money than we can afford...

I don't think the Bungles care whether or not a guy's a cancer to the team. They're currently negotiating with MICHAEL WESTBROOK.

Do we have to cut someone to get Scott? Last time I checked, we still have room for one more FA. We can afford Scott. We have so many injuries, it would be nice to add him for insurance... we almost signed Cris Carter without cutting anyone!
CC, Scott, McKnight, Ward, OG... that leaves us with 5 good WRs... after that we have scrubs.

Back
Top Bottom