Cutting through the Bull | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutting through the Bull

fin-atic

Are you a VIP?
Club Member
Reaction score
OK I am going to cut through some of the smokescreens and BS out there and tell you who I think we are going to pick and why.

First lets dispell some rumors:

TB trading up to get a QB: Neither of these QBs are widely regarded as franchise type QBs. They have Griese who they just committed to, and they have Simms in the wings. Too much to give up for a position you don't really need, and that is really not that talented.

Minny trading up: They are looking at WR. And although Edwards is there for the taking if they trade with us, they will be happy to stay where they are and grab Williams. Fact is there is little that seperates the top players in this draft. Once again too expensive for what they get in return.

Miami drafting a QB: Saban has committed to try Feeley as starter. He also signed Ferotte as insurance. Feeley's contract is too big to just kick aside. Factor in that we just inked Sage to a new deal and it really does not appear that we will draft a QB. If we do, then someone is trade bait. Either Feeley or the draft pick.

So with that all said. I think we end up picking #2 and I think we take a RB. Now it gets down to choices. Brown and Benson. And regardles of what many say, this is closer than you think. Although Brown is a specimen and is considered by the media to be the best RB in the draft, Benson is the most proven and tested back. Low risk. Although we hear about Brown as reciever, Benson is considered a very good receiving back too. With all of that said, Saban played in the SEC and got to see Brown many times through out his whole career. He knows him better, and has been opposite trying to defend against him. I think Benson is the best choice, however this Saturday with the #2 pick in the draft, the Miami Dolphins select Ronnie Brown RB University Auburn.

I highly doubt that he will use the #2 on a RB. Remember he said he was going to do what was best long term for the organization, and RBs are a dime a dozen these days.

I agree with everything else, but it will be either Smith or Rodgers.

fin-atic said:
Miami drafting a QB: Saban has committed to try Feeley as starter. He also signed Ferotte as insurance. Feeley's contract is too big to just kick aside. Factor in that we just inked Sage to a new deal and it really does not appear that we will draft a QB. If we do, then someone is trade bait. Either Feeley or the draft pick.
QUOTE]
Sage can easily be cut and it isnt unheard of for a team to have 4 QBs.
Sage is under a one year contract.

Saban also has to show the league he means business though, which is why we take the BPA (Smith or Edwards) and force teams to trade with us.

Until we know what the 9ers will do its all up in the air. Lets hope that they sign Rogers berfore the draft. Then anyone who wants Edwards or Smith comes to us. I also think a TB trade would be possible because Saban would move down to 5 for a small price , say a 3 and a 4 and flip number 1s .

Griese's contract is basically a one years deal. They have big bonuses due each offseason and can cut him any year. They wouldn't of given him a gimmicki deal if they thought he was so swell. They also have little faith in Simms, Gruden has knocked him this offseason.

The wr's aren't all the same. Everyone knows Edwards is the best talent and most ready. Minn. wants to go to the Sb this year, they loaded up on FA's who aren't too young.

When did Saban committ to Feeley ? Sage has a one year min deal, he is easily cut and is nothing special.

RB's don't get 20m bonuses, it'd be a bad pick value wise, cap wise and
draft wise as RB's can be had later in the draft.

I think the Fins could take Edwards at #2, and look for a RB in the 3rd round (Arrington, Harris, Morency, Shelton, Moats?). I also think we could draft a developmental QB to replace Sage in the 3rd or 4th round (Kyle Orton?). The thing is, without a deal for Surtain, and a trade down, we have too many needs to fill. I would think, that in the first 4 rounds, Saban would like to get a RB, WR, C/G, OLB, and a developmental QB. If we can't make any deals, it's hard to say where Saban will go with our limited picks.

I believe Miami will take a QB at some point. I believe they will take one in the third round, but that could change depending upon who falls to that pick.

Sgt.FinFan said:
Griese's contract is basically a one years deal. They have big bonuses due each offseason and can cut him any year. They wouldn't of given him a gimmicki deal if they thought he was so swell. They also have little faith in Simms, Gruden has knocked him this offseason.

The wr's aren't all the same. Everyone knows Edwards is the best talent and most ready. Minn. wants to go to the Sb this year, they loaded up on FA's who aren't too young.

When did Saban committ to Feeley ? Sage has a one year min deal, he is easily cut and is nothing special.

:yeahthat: :thewave: :allhail:

fin-atic said:
OK I am going to cut through some of the smokescreens and BS out there and tell you who I think..,

In honor of this small snippet, I provide you with this:

clear.gif

Sgt.FinFan said:

Ronnie Brown is the best player in this draft, and the #2 pick is too high to take him? Yeah. That makes a lot of sense.

To have a #2 pick and Feeley's contract, and Ferottes deal at the QB spot is too much money.

RBs are a dime a dozen? Wow what league have you been watching? We have had one in thirty plus years.
Griese just signed a one year deal. So they are committed for that deal and it is expensive to just eat it. Simms was not cheap either. Like Miami they can only afford to tie up so much money at the QB spot.

Tell me how you "force other teams to trade with you?" Especially when what you are holding has very questionabel value. It's not like Saban is going to draft Rodgers and other teams are then going to all of a sudden give up the farm because he is a franchise QB. Especially teams like TB and Minny who are picking only a few spots away.

LoL I gotta give credit to Saban hes playing the game well. We dont know if he's rlly interested in Alex Smith or just faking it. We dont know if he's rrly interested in Braylon edwards or not and this Ricky Williams stuff

I think if forced to pick at #2 he'd go Aaron Rodgers or Braylon Edwards if Alex Smith goes to 49er's. I think alot of ppl wud be pissed if we got Rodgers at #2 though (wudnt mind me though but im in the norm :cooldude: )
IF Alex Smith is there at #2 he might be tempted to take em or trade with Bucs where Ronnie Brown,Cedric Benson or Mike Williams cud be
Possible trade scenarios with Vikings and Redskins too its gonna be exciting I have no clue wats gonna happen we r less than 36 hours away from draft!

Back
Top Bottom