D-Line Coach Excited About First-Round Newcomers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

D-Line Coach Excited About First-Round Newcomers

i think they are more disappointed with the pick than his play. Total Dolphin move to draft a guy in a position with minimal impact. It is arguable that DT is one of the deepest positions on this team and we could have been better served picking up a serviceable olineman or almost any other position.

That said... he was consensus BPA at that point so that pick doesnt really bother me.

I think Taco Charlton very well May be a much better scheme fit for the Patriot style defense than he was for the cowboys...more in the Trey Flowers mold(not saying he is that good)...but you develop him and see what you got.

if he posts 10 sacks here in 14 games and is solid against the run...what will we think?

i think they are more disappointed with the pick than his play. Total Dolphin move to draft a guy in a position with minimal impact. It is arguable that DT is one of the deepest positions on this team and we could have been better served picking up a serviceable olineman or almost any other position.

That said... he was consensus BPA at that point so that pick doesnt really bother me.

After watching our run D last year (and this year), how on earth can anyone consider DL/DT our deepest position? We basically got a completely new DL after cut down day, with the exception of Godchaeux, Wilkins and Harris

Most of the runs that are killing us are on the outside shoulder of the tackles from what I see. That is more on the lbs than the Dline, because that's forcing people to step up and engage and our outside linebackers are not good at that.

I’m sure they must view it that way...it’s not about 2019 for him, he is a possible blue chip for2020 when this team is ready to begin making noise...will be nice if he wants it and makes it happen!
That's the thing with Robert N. Does he really want it?? He comes from an affluent Nigerian family (his father is a cardiologist) he was a 5 star recruit and he has always gotten by with his raw talent. If the light bulb ever goes on with him, and he dedicates himself to becoming a football player devoted to his craft, he can become a good player. But the question remains: Does he really want it??

After watching our run D last year (and this year), how on earth can anyone consider DL/DT our deepest position? We basically got a completely new DL after cut down day, with the exception of Godchaeux, Wilkins and Harris

By watching the rest of the inept offense and defensive units. DT is and was deeper than the oline, defensive end, free safety, QB, and linebackers.

Going into the offseason everyone on here was talking about how good Godchaux and Vincent Taylor had played and surprised last season.

And lets be real... our biggest problem in the running game are our linebackers who aslo cant cover tightends worth a damn.

By watching the rest of the inept offense and defensive units. DT is and was deeper than the oline, defensive end, free safety, QB, and linebackers.

Going into the offseason everyone on here was talking about how good Godchaux and Vincent Taylor had played and surprised last season.

And lets be real... our biggest problem in the running game are our linebackers who aslo cant cover tightends worth a damn.

I would argue, but not loudly, that the LBs were hindered by the DL.

Last year the DL was shooting gaps and letting the OL get to the LBs. The wide 9 was a disaster.

This year, in preseason, the DL was occupying blockers so the LBs could make plays. It looked great.

Then we blew up the DL after cut down day and the LBs are getting washed out again.

Sorry but any team giving up 200 yards a game to RBs has NO strength at DL. None

Sorry but any team giving up 200 yards a game to RBs has NO strength at DL. None

I must be watching a different Dolphins defense. The Chargers ran the ball 33 times for 79 yards. Thats damn solid. The DL got the job done.

2020 potentials...
I think Taco Charlton very well May be a much better scheme fit for the Patriot style defense than he was for the cowboys...more in the Trey Flowers mold(not saying he is that good)...but you develop him and see what you got.

if he posts 10 sacks here in 14 games and is solid against the run...what will we think?

I would think "good!"

We better get some leads if he's gonna hit that sack #.

Kid looks like he needs a tad more N F L certified muscle mass IMO.

But hey -- for the price -- I''m totally down with his audition.

2020 potentials...

I would think "good!"

We better get some leads if he's gonna hit that sack #.

Kid looks like he needs a tad more N F L certified muscle mass IMO.

But hey -- for the price -- I''m totally down with his audition.

He’s actually on pace for 14....I was being conservative...lol

He’s actually on pace for 14....I was being conservative...lol
Did not like him much at Michigan. Liked his bend and closing speed on his sack Sunday though. He's always had the talent...maybe the coaches can get consistent motivated play from him. Taco as a productive edge player for the rebuild would be quite the bonus.

Have you seen our position groups? DL might be our deepest position? Godchaux has played well especially when you consider he went from 4-3 DL to a 3-4 NT. McMillian’s outstanding play near the goal line does not happen without Godchaux significant disruption of the onside guards movement. Wilkins is playing better and Jenkins has good games. I admit there are problems with depth, but this is not the problem with the defenses. It is the lack of good OLBs that really hurts the defense and the pass rush.

if I can say one thing about this new coaching regime it is that their motto is "If we go get them, **** it get them out there playing and let's see what we have".

Gase would be sitting there saying "well I don't have the right pieces to run my offense" and "the defense isn't fully installed yet".

I would argue, but not loudly, that the LBs were hindered by the DL.

Last year the DL was shooting gaps and letting the OL get to the LBs. The wide 9 was a disaster.

This year, in preseason, the DL was occupying blockers so the LBs could make plays. It looked great.

Then we blew up the DL after cut down day and the LBs are getting washed out again.

The run defense started very poorly, but has been trending up. The pass defense, meanwhile, has been an unmitigated disaster. My complaints about the DL have more to do with the lack of passrush than anything else.

Have you seen our position groups? DL might be our deepest position? Godchaux has played well especially when you consider he went from 4-3 DL to a 3-4 NT. McMillian’s outstanding play near the goal line does not happen without Godchaux significant disruption of the onside guards movement. Wilkins is playing better and Jenkins has good games. I admit there are problems with depth, but this is not the problem with the defenses. It is the lack of good OLBs that really hurts the defense and the pass rush.

I like godchaux and Wilkins. And maybe having McMillan healthy and out of the doghouse will help long term. But the edge guys don’t set the edge well and can’t pass rush at all.

I must be watching a different Dolphins defense. The Chargers ran the ball 33 times for 79 yards. Thats damn solid. The DL got the job done.

Ravens 46 for 265 2td 5.8 avg
Pats 35 for 124 2td 3.5 avg
Cowboys 34 for 235 2td 6.9 avg
Chargers 33 for 79 1 td 2.4 avg

I’m not sure how that is a trend. They did well against the chargers. It’s not a trend until it happens a couple of weeks in a row.

Back
Top Bottom