Dalvin Cook working out in Miami?? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dalvin Cook working out in Miami??

There are several ways to work his contract where basically it'll be a 2 year deal with an out for the team that won't hamper our ability to resign Wilkins or Seiler. All those posts acting like it's an either/or are way off base.
Exactly. The two have nothing to do with each other. If anything, extending Wilkins would give us MORE money this year.

There are several ways to work his contract where basically it'll be a 2 year deal with an out for the team that won't hamper our ability to resign Wilkins or Seiler. All those posts acting like it's an either/or are way off base.
but my point is he's not gonna sign for a vet minimum and if we make up for that in a signing bonus wont that prorate and still cost us against the cap?

but my point is he's not gonna sign for a vet minimum and if we make up for that in a signing bonus wont that prorate and still cost us against the cap?
No, he's not going to be a vet minimum player. Salary and bonus will count towards the cap, of course, but there's room in there after June 1st where we can sign Cook and still get the extensions done w/o crippling our cap long-term.

I don't see how he's a luxury. His being on this team gives both a style of offense that can still win if Tua is hurt while also pushing Mostert and Achane into the passing game. They would need to stick 8 in the box to stop him leaving the speed fleet of fast WRs and RBs with only 3 to cover in the passing game. Is winning more games and being able to win if Tua goes down a luxury? If so, lux it up!

We used 3rd and 5th round picks from the 2023 draft on RB's and have Mostert coming back from a really strong season, which is a considerable investment given that we didn't have a 1st or 4th.

De'von Achane is a RB.

Its a luxury because we are $31 Million over next years cap and have pending FA's in Seiler and Wilkins that are going to be a problem to re-sign.

We don't actually have the cap space to sign him after June 1st, we'd be borrowing that cap space from next year in lieu of rolling it over.

If Tua goes down for any significant time this season the last thing I'll be worried about is squeaking into the playoffs with Mike White or Skylar Thompson and ensuring they have the pieces to compete for a hypothetical shot at a championship.

Last edited:
If Tua goes down for any significant time this season the last thing I'll be worried about is squeaking into the playoffs with Mike White or Skylar Thompson and ensuring they have the pieces to compete for a hypothetical shot at a championship.
Vs instead getting a dominant running back who can lead the charge in us pivoting to a run first offense with White and Skylar being able to sneak in some passes if Tua goes down? Are you being cheap and shortchanging the potential of the offense for a reason? I don't understand the reluctance just for the sake of being reluctant. Let's NOT be as good as we can be because well....no reason.

Vs instead getting a dominant running back who can lead the charge in us pivoting to a run first offense with White and Skylar being able to sneak in some passes if Tua goes down? Are you being cheap and shortchanging the potential of the offense for a reason? I don't understand the reluctance just for the sake of being reluctant. Let's NOT be as good as we can be because well....no reason.

Then why did we draft Achane? To return kicks and "catch passes"?

De'Von Achane is a VERY talented RUNNING BACK as well. We ignored some other holes to take that RB.

I want Cook as much as the next guy but Christian Wilkins, Zach Seiler, Connor Williams, Robert Hunt and Austin Jackson are all FA's and Emmanuel Ogbah and Jerome Baker will be added to that list once they are released along with Cedrick Wilson after the season. You're perfectly ok with making next year's cap issues an even bigger issue just to stock up on one position that most (successful) teams avoid paying.

We could lose all 8 of those players and just barely be cap compliant next year.

My wife wants to go to every concert or show her (non married and childless) friends invite her too. She thinks because she has the money today, she can afford to go but every time she has a bill due, she needs my help to pay it.

Having the money in the moment doesn't mean you can actually afford something.

Then why did we draft Achane? To return kicks and "catch passes"?

De'Von Achane is a VERY talented RUNNING BACK as well. We ignored some other holes to take that RB.

I want Cook as much as the next guy but Christian Wilkins, Zach Seiler, Connor Williams, Robert Hunt and Austin Jackson are all FA's and Emmanuel Ogbah and Jerome Baker will be added to that list once they are released along with Cedrick Wilson after the season. You're perfectly ok with making next year's cap issues an even bigger issue just to stock up on one position that most (successful) teams avoid paying.

We could lose all 8 of those players and just barely be cap compliant next year.

My wife wants to go to every concert or show her (non married and childless) friends invite her too. She thinks because she has the money today, she can afford to go but every time she has a bill due, she needs my help to pay it.

Having the money in the moment doesn't mean you can actually afford something.
You wouldn't take Cook on a one or two year deal? You think the Dolphins are going to sign him long term? I doubt that.

We used 3rd and 5th round picks from the 2023 draft on RB's and have Mostert coming back from a really strong season, which is a considerable investment given that we didn't have a 1st or 4th.

De'von Achane is a RB.

Its a luxury because we are $31 Million over next years cap and have pending FA's in Seiler and Wilkins that are going to be a problem to re-sign.

We don't actually have the cap space to sign him after June 1st, we'd be borrowing that cap space from next year in lieu of rolling it over.

I'm done with you on this topic.

Back
Top Bottom