Dalvin Cook working out in Miami?? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dalvin Cook working out in Miami??

I mean Mostert averaged half a yard more than Dalvin last year, no?
He averaged more as a change of pace back to the passing game. McD has already said he wants to run a lot more. You think those numbers will hold up? No.

He averaged more as a change of pace back to the passing game. McD has already said he wants to run a lot more. You think those numbers will hold up? No.

181 carries to 264 carries. Its not a major difference there considering Mostert wasn't given the RB1 nod from the get go.

Both eclipsed a 100 yards twice with Mostert having the two higher rushing totals on the year.

Cook had 20+ carries 5 times but only produced 1 100 yard game as a result.

Both guys had near IDENTICAL games @ Buffalo, by comparison.

One guy cost 10 times more than the other.

Last edited:
Can argue this **** till youre all blue in the face, but I think McDaniel and Grier want Cook.

We will know soon enough.
That's what my gut says as well. It may or may not work out, but I think it's far more likely than not that the Vikings will release him. I think he wants to be in Miami and that Miami wants him to be here. And I don't think any other team will break the bank for him. They may be willing/able to offer slightly more but probably not enough to offset state taxes and the draw of him wanting to come back to S. Florida.

Then why did we draft Achane? To return kicks and "catch passes"?

De'Von Achane is a VERY talented RUNNING BACK as well. We ignored some other holes to take that RB.

I want Cook as much as the next guy but Christian Wilkins, Zach Seiler, Connor Williams, Robert Hunt and Austin Jackson are all FA's and Emmanuel Ogbah and Jerome Baker will be added to that list once they are released along with Cedrick Wilson after the season. You're perfectly ok with making next year's cap issues an even bigger issue just to stock up on one position that most (successful) teams avoid paying.

We could lose all 8 of those players and just barely be cap compliant next year.

My wife wants to go to every concert or show her (non married and childless) friends invite her too. She thinks because she has the money today, she can afford to go but every time she has a bill due, she needs my help to pay it.

Having the money in the moment doesn't mean you can actually afford something.
This is so far from the truth about our cap situation, and it reveals the flaw in how many of the financially conservative fans on here think about the cap.

The NFL salary cap is not your monthly household budget. It doesn’t work the same way. The people who think it does are the ones who think we’re capped out every off-season only to watch us acquire players like Jalen Ramsey and then swear our overspending will catch up to us the next year, which it doesn’t, ad infinitum. There are ways to overspend in the present to hamstring your future. The ways to do that are by adding void years or guaranteeing cap hits way beyond a player’s fair market value in the future, in order to save money today. We have not done either of those things with anyone currently under contract.

Again, this isn’t a household budget. If you need $200 to buy groceries, you can’t guarantee the store $600 in future purchases to get the groceries for $25 today then decide you don’t actually want all that many groceries in the future to cut the cost from $600 to $375.

Now, does this mean we won’t ever have cap problems? Of course not. But if we have cap problems in the future, it’s not going to be because we’re overspending right now. We’re not. It’s going to be because we have too many good players who we want to keep under contract, and it’s impossible to keep a team full of highly priced veterans. That is true no matter what we do with Cook today.

I mean Mostert and Wilson Jr. averaged half a yard more than Dalvin last year at a fraction of the cost, no?

181 carries to 264 carries. Its not a major difference there considering Mostert wasn't given the RB1 nod from the get go.

Both eclipsed a 100 yards twice with Mostert having the two higher rushing totals on the year.

Cook had 20+ carries 5 times but only produced 1 100 yard game as a result.

Both guys had near IDENTICAL games @ Buffalo, by comparison.

One guy cost 10 times more than the other.

One dude had been dealing with a chronic shoulder issue, no? You seem to choose to ignore that factor while making statistical comparisons. Not all things were equal. Context matters.

Furthermore, while most if not all of us would prefer that the Dolphins don’t drastically overpay for any players, what difference does it make to you or anyone else IF they can find a way to make it all workout under the cap?

If the Dolphins are confident Cook’s shoulder is no longer an issue and that he’s going to be healthy — are you or anyone else really going to argue that he’s not significantly better than either Mostert or Wilson? Doubtful.

This is so far from the truth about our cap situation, and it reveals the flaw in how many of the financially conservative fans on here think about the cap.

The NFL salary cap is not your monthly household budget. It doesn’t work the same way. The people who think it does are the ones who think we’re capped out every off-season only to watch us acquire players like Jalen Ramsey and then swear our overspending will catch up to us the next year, which it doesn’t, ad infinitum. There are ways to overspend in the present to hamstring your future. The ways to do that are by adding void years or guaranteeing cap hits way beyond a player’s fair market value in the future, in order to save money today. We have not done either of those things with anyone currently under contract.

Again, this isn’t a household budget. If you need $200 to buy groceries, you can’t guarantee the store $600 in future purchases to get the groceries for $25 today then decide you don’t actually want all that many groceries in the future to cut the cost from $600 to $375.

Now, does this mean we won’t ever have cap problems? Of course not. But if we have cap problems in the future, it’s not going to be because we’re overspending right now. We’re not. It’s going to be because we have too many good players who we want to keep under contract, and it’s impossible to keep a team full of highly priced veterans. That is true no matter what we do with Cook today.

Nothing I posted was an inaccurate statement of where we stand today and tomorrow.

We’re going to lose quite a few players next year.

Last edited:
One dude had been dealing with a chronic shoulder issue, no? You seem to choose to ignore that factor while making statistical comparisons. Not all things were equal. Context matters.

Furthermore, while most if not all of us would prefer that the Dolphins don’t drastically overpay for any players, what difference does it make to you or anyone else IF they can find a way to make it all workout under the cap?

If the Dolphins are confident Cook’s shoulder is no longer an issue and that he’s going to be healthy — are you or anyone else really going to argue that he’s not significantly better than either Mostert or Wilson? Doubtful.

It makes a difference because I don’t want to lose too many players next year, in one shot.

That’s why it matters to me. I root for the Dolphins every year.

Who do you expect to start on the DL and OL in 2024? Feel free to rattle off the list, I’ll wait.

Nothing I posted was an inaccurate statement of where we stand today and tomorrow.

We’re going to lose quite a few players next year.
But it was. You said we could lose all 8 of the players you listed and “barely” be cap compliant. That’s just nowhere close to an accurate assessment of our cap situation.

If we cut Baker, Ogbah, and Ced Wilson and restructure Jalen Ramsey, and do absolutely nothing else to save a single dollar on the cap, we’ll be $18 million under the 2024 cap. That’s enough to resign basically all of the players you mentioned, if we wanted to do that. For reference, Jalen Ramsey’s 2023 cap hit was $2.9 million. Tyreek Hill’s 2022 cap hit was similar. We don’t structure deals with big cap hits in year one.

In reality, we’ll probably do a lot more to create even more cap room—including extending Tua, restructuring Chubb, and possibly extending or adding void years for Tyreek.

But it was. You said we could lose all 8 of the players you listed and “barely” be cap compliant. That’s just nowhere close to an accurate assessment of our cap situation.

If we cut Baker, Ogbah, and Ced Wilson and restructure Jalen Ramsey, and do absolutely nothing else to save a single dollar on the cap, we’ll be $18 million under the 2024 cap. That’s enough to resign basically all of the players you mentioned, if we wanted to do that. For reference, Jalen Ramsey’s 2023 cap hit was $2.9 million. Tyreek Hill’s 2022 cap hit was similar. We don’t structure deals with big cap hits in year one.

In reality, we’ll probably do a lot more to create even more cap room—including extending Tua, restructuring Chubb, and possibly extending or adding void years for Tyreek.

Let’s restructure everybody, it’s smart business. Just like the Eagles did this year? Oh wait, no they just lost a bunch of FAs.

We’re one year behind their path.

There is no disputing that we are a better team with Cook than without.

But like EVERY other player who's ever been a FA or traded, there comes a point where the cost outweighs the benefit. You can't just sign a player at any cost, especially when that player couldn't practice TODAY. If he wants to be a Dolphin bad enough and compete for a Super Bowl, he's the one who has to make the concessions.

Mike McDaniel wasn't pumped on draft day because he landed a new kick off returner. He was excited to get his new (cheap) RB.

Connor Williams, Robert Hunt and Austin Jackson are all free agents at the end of the year, Liam Eichenberg sucks and Terron Armstead is a major question mark. You can't ignore that just to satisfy your urge today. That's your entire OL that will be influx in about 9 months. Along with your entire DL. Wilkins, Seiler, Davis and Ogbah (released) will be free agents as it stands now.

I think you're underestimating McDaniel's strong desire to have a stable of RBs that he can use in his backfield. He wants 100% juice and little drop off from his backfield independent of time of the game and injuries.

I'm pumped about Achane too. But, ff the price is right McDaniel absolutely prefers to have Cook and Achane and Mostert and Wilson rather than not

I think you're underestimating McDaniel's strong desire to have a stable of RBs that he can use in his backfield. He wants 100% juice and little drop off from his backfield independent of time of the game and injuries.

I'm pumped about Achane too. But, ff the price is right McDaniel absolutely prefers to have Cook and Achane and Mostert and Wilson rather than not

He already has that stable of RBs.

Remember how excited he was to use one of our only picks on a RB this year? After trading another one of our picks this year for a RB? And re-signing 3 additional RBs from last years.

Lets ignore the strength of our offense as well.

He already has that stable of RBs.

Remember how excited he was to use one of our only picks on a RB this year? After trading another one of our picks this year for a RB? And re-signing 3 additional RBs from last years.

Lets ignore the strength of our offense as well.

Now imagine how excited he is at the prospect of never running out of talent at the RB position rather than tying it to a small rookie, an always injured Mostert and Jeff Wilson. I think it will be interesting to see how you justify things when McDaniel is grinning ear to ear after adding Cook and deploying the whole stable during the long slog of season and hopefully long postseason run

Now imagine how excited he is at the prospect of never running out of talent at the RB position rather than tying it to a small rookie, an always injured Mostert and Jeff Wilson. I think it will be interesting to see how you justify things when McDaniel is grinning ear to ear after adding Cook and deploying the whole stable during the long slog of season and hopefully long postseason run

Your just taking the ball out Tua/Hill/Waddle/Achane’s hands more.

Your ignoring the way this offense was built.

We don’t need a $9M RB, not as much as the Bengals do, who have the money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom