Damn Chambers contract jumps | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Damn Chambers contract jumps

Ok, come on, cut him? Seriously? I know he has a huge case of dropsies and by no stretch of the imagination do I think he DESERVES 5.4 next year. But cutting him would be idiotic. Here's why...

-He's in the middle of a large contract, if we cut him we're still going to be taking a cap hit for doing so over the next couple of years.
-He's going to restructure to give us more cap room.
-Even despite his drops he's still got a massive amount of talent.

I think Chambers was the one who was hurt the most by having Joey Harrington in (however well Joey may or may not have played). I paid a lot of attention to Joey going through his progression and on a shocking number of plays he didn't even look for Chambers, not to mention a lot of balls he did put to Chambers were uncatchable or difficult to say the least. I'm not trying to defend Chamber's season, because he underproduced in a big way, but I think cutting him would be foolish.

Yeah, cut him. You are trying to justify his consistent underperformance with cap hits and potential. Hey I want to see us win ball games and he is not consistently good enough be part of the winning solution. I want to see CC be the one we play against, so we have a better chance of winning.

He is probably no better than a 2 slot at best, maybe 3 slot. He should be paid according to that. I used to think CC was the next Mark Clayton for us, finally. He's nothing more that a James Pruitt.

Where did you get thoes numbers???

Try $4.517 million to $7.317 million for Chambers. It was McMichael who jumped up to$5.4 million from $2.million and no one has mentioned it.

Taylor ($9.5 million), Thomas ($8 million) and Chambers ($7.3 million) are valuable enough to keep after restructuring their contracts.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/16350209.htm

Chris Chambers, WR, $7.3M, 2009

A LOOK AHEAD: Dolphins 2007 salary cap figures
By Alex Marvez
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted December 3, 2006

The source for base salary numbers but may be misleading if you don't look at cap numbers, which include bonus and bonus amortization.

Chambers' base salary last year was $1.6 million and his cap charge was $4.517 million.

This year $7.317 million is a big difference from $5.4.

McMichael's base salary this year is $1 million up from $600k. His cap charge this year is $5.4 million.

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=33090

Been looking at cap numbers for the past couple of days. :)

I am undoubtedly Chambers biggest fan here at Finheaven and I really don't want to see him get that money. I hope he restructures this offseason.

from 1.35 to 5.4 next year?!

:eek:

What are his bonuses for this upcoming year?
Base salary doesnt mean jack squat if you dont look into bonuses.

Last year, Chambers made 1.6 in base salary but another 4.something million in bonuses making his total cap hit 6.something million.

Add in his bonuses this year to his salary and thats his total cap hit. You are forgetting a HUGE part of the equation and making a noob salary cap mistake.

The source for base salary numbers but may be misleading if you don't look at cap numbers, which include bonus and bonus amortization.

Chambers' base salary last year was $1.6 million and his cap charge was $4.517 million.

This year $7.317 million is a big difference from $5.4.

McMichael's base salary this year is $1 million up from $600k. His cap charge this year is $5.4 million.

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=33090

Been looking at cap numbers for the past couple of days. :)

Doh! Thats why I need to read both pages before prematurely responding. +1 to what Merman said.

We are still paying Reggie Howard,Sam Madison?Is that what I think dead money is...money owed on there contracts...a little help from you experts
NOT EVERYONE IS AN EXPERT!!!!

you guys will see with dc at qb he will be worth the money

We are still paying Reggie Howard,Sam Madison?Is that what I think dead money is...money owed on there contracts...a little help from you experts
NOT EVERYONE IS AN EXPERT!!!!

Yup. When you sign a player to a ridiculous contract, such as Reggie Howard, and you give him bonuses, the bonus allotment is spread out for the duration of the contract for cap purposes.

A simplified example: When Peyton Manning signs a 50 million deal, the entire 50 million doesnt count on the first years cap, the bonuses in the 50 million, depending on what they are, can be spread out against the cap. (just a very simplified example, there are different types of bonuses and this isnt always the case)

When you cut/trade a player who is still under contract, you still need to take the cap "hit" for his remaining bonus amoritization. Thats called "dead cap."

Dead cap is cap money that counts towards your cap for players contracts who are not on the team anymore.

Thats why when 1st round rookies dont perform and you hear a lot of noobs yelling to "cut or trade him", a lot of the older guys will roll their eyes and tell them to shut up. :lol: They dont want to swallow the cap hit of a first round draft pick 1 year into his 5-6 year contract. Thats why also a lot of trades will never happen for cap purposes....... because it will be too expensive for a team to trade a player because he could cripple their salary cap.

I wouldn't even bother asking him to restructure. Just cut him. He drops way too many balls when trying to get first downs. Consistency and reliability is paramount.

absolutely...maybe we can throw him out there for a trade, anything is better than how he's been performing! :D

You cant just cut his cap hit would be even higher (according to the 2007 cap #'s post above on this site 5.4-7.3 ) so then your paying 7.5 for a player you dont even have on the team. We seem to have alot of long contracts. 2 plus years left. So I dont really think there will be alot of cuts coming to be able to sign a FA. Unless cameron wants to do a purge and burn.

Back
Top Bottom