Dan Marino's Scouting Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Marino's Scouting Report

PhinCanuck

Dolfan in Canada
Reaction score
We are all well aware of the scouting reports that are coming out on Brady Quinn, Calvin Johnson, Ted Ginn Jr and others. Many of us would love to see any of these players become the next franchise QB or WR. In light of this, I was wondering about the scouting reports on Dan Marino before he was drafted in the 1983 NFL Draft. Share with me a walk through memory lane. Here is a part of that report:
"Notes from an actual scouting report Gil Brandt wrote on Marino for Dallas on Oct. 15, 1982:
Marino is 6-foot-3 5/8, 213 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.89 ... Not having a good year, played poorly in the opening game in North Carolina ... Seemed to play better this past weekend against West Virginia, although they only scored 16 points ... Marino has an amazing ability to anticipate pass rushers and is able to move side to side to avoid being sacked ... He also has one of the quickest releases that I have ever seen and has very good accuracy ... I can not understand why he's had a season that has not been up to what was expected of him ... Everyone at Pitt, from the secretary to the trainer to the equipment manager, all brag about Dan Marino and what a good person he is."
Here is the link for the complete article:
http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/release.jsp?release_id=1585

i know there where rumors before that draft that Dan had failed a drug test...I dont think it has ever been proven true but it did hurt his draft status

i know there where rumors before that draft that Dan had failed a drug test...I dont think it has ever been proven true but it did hurt his draft status

Good thing it did left him to drop to miami :D.

Thanks for the read. Its nice to stroll down memory lane with the greatest QB, thank god he was with our team. We should all feel lucky to have been able to watch a great player and person play for our team for so long.

Thanks...

That was a nice read, just think if he would have been on another team, he probably wouldn't be labeled the best QB to not ever win a Super Bowl...

But that said, I'm glad he was Dolphin! I probably wouldn't have been as much of a fan if it weren't for him.

With the down season of his last year at Pitt and unsubstantiated rumors of drug abuse, Marino's selection in the 1983 NFL draft fell to second to last pick in the first round by the Miami Dolphins. I do not believe he failed those tests. I have never found any indication of teh contrary. I have looked it up and has never appear.
I am not sure if these rumors are the reason he fell to us, but I am glad that is the way it went.
Any of you have any juicy rumors on Brady Quinn? Just kidding.

Thanks for the read. Its nice to stroll down memory lane with the greatest QB, thank god he was with our team. We should all feel lucky to have been able to watch a great player and person play for our team for so long.

Thanks...

Well said. My dad and I went to see his Hall induction and what an amazing weekend that was. Tons of Dolphin fans everywhere and everytime his name was mentioned a 2-3 standing ovation followed.

Well said. My dad and I went to see his Hall induction and what an amazing weekend that was. Tons of Dolphin fans everywhere and everytime his name was mentioned a 2-3 standing ovation followed.

Well unfortunately I didnt get to go, however; I did watch it on TV and it was awesome. I know that im a bit prejudice here but, he and his son were so impressive, as usual. He is such a class act, and proved it again that day.

I thought it was cool how they changed the lineup prior to the induction with him going last, after originally having him go before Steve Young.

Not to take anything away from Young, but Dan made him look bad in comparison that day. The large turnout of Phin supporters didnt hurt either.

I wonder if we can get Brady Quinn and Ricky Williams together for a night on the town. :lol:

these last few comments remind me a thread i started last week....

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=182852

Thanks cause I didnt see this thread originally. It really puts things in perspective. To h*** with people that bring up the SB thing. I would much rather have watched Dan all those years and not had a SB ring, than have the SB and not have had the full enjoyment of watching him single handedly lead the phins. Man, I have thought of this so many times, and d*** proud he was on my favorite team and instantly became my all time favorite player and favorite athlete. No one will ever replace Dan in my heart...EVER!!! Thanks Dan for the memories...:D

Whoever this Marino guy is, I say draft him !!!!!!!!!!!!

[
quote=Phinphanatic13;. Tons of Dolphin fans everywhere and everytime his name was mentioned a 2-3 standing ovation followed.

2-3? I thought for sure more fans would have stood up and clapped for Ol` Dan.:sidelol:

Back
Top Bottom