Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek

Today's rules are a travesty to the players that set the bar for greatness.

Its like changing the rules in MLB that allows players to use corked bats- and then saying they broke Barry Bonds or Hank Aaron HR record.
Meh.
Well, they didn’t change the rules in MLB, but they’ve condoned the cheating Bonds, ARod, and others did, and they’re letting all of their statistics stand.

Nobody is ever going to achieve Bonds’ HR numbers again, yet he achieved them through cheating. That’s pretty unfair to both the players like Ruth and Maris before him, and to the players after him.

Marino was basically Patrick Mahomes......on steroids. There's no doubt.
It's funny you say that. I have been telling everyone how much this year's Chiefs team reminds me of the '84 Dolphins. The ironic part is they will probably lose in the Super bowl to the 49ers like Miami did in '84.

As many here have pointed out the rule changes would favor him tremendously today. I’ll also add that offenses have changed a lot too. Can’t even imagine him in a modern spread system. It would be crazy.

I wish I could have seen that Marino play. But by the time I was old enough to really see Marino play it was when J.Johnson was half way out the door.
He was something to say for sure. There was and still is the one to compare him to

That seems like an insult to both guys. :ponder:
[/QUOTE]
They are both completely different. Patrick improvises so many different ways. Marino threw a rocket and it was off in the blink of an eye. Straight line barely with any arc.

Last edited:
So many rules have changed in favor of the O and the receivers in particular that I'm sure he could have come close. Back then they didn't put the QB's in bubble wrap either...
Not just the bubble wrap for QBs. All these ticky tacky holding and PI calls these days. I don't even remember what a DB had to do to get a PI or holding call back in the days. I remember a play where one of the Mark's brothers literally dragged a defender down the sideline trying to catch a pass. No flag.

Today's rules are a travesty to the players that set the bar for greatness.

Its like changing the rules in MLB that allows players to use corked bats- and then saying they broke Barry Bonds or Hank Aaron HR record.
Meh.
Agree, when they compare today's player to those of the past, it's not a level playing field. Stats are padded these days and helped tremendously by the rule changes. 4k yards in a season now under the previous rules would turn into 6k pretty quickly. Marino in his prime today would be eating this league up and it wouldn't even be close. Call me a homer but it is what it is.

He was something to say for sure. There was and still is the one to compare him to

That seems like an insult to both guys. :ponder:
They are both completely different. Patrick improvises so many different ways. Marino threw a rocket and it was off in the blink of an eye. Straight line barely with any arc.
[/QUOTE]
Here's a nice little rocket! The flick of the arm and it's gone!
MARINO QUICK RELEASE.gif

He would have to average 375 yards passing for 16 games. Assuming he had the same type receivers he had in Duper and Clayton and he consistently had to throw because the OL is great at pass blocking but below average as run blockers, just like the offensive lines he played with. I think it would be very easy for a young Marino to throw for 6000 yards in the NFL today.

Easy.

I believe Montana was 2nd in the NFL behind him in TD passes in '84 with 28 TD's - Marino threw 48.

The year Marino threw 44 TD's I think the next guy had around 25.

I might give him 70 today.
This is the most telling thing here. There were a lot of great QBs playing in Dan’s era - yet these numbers weren’t even close. He was in a different universe than the rest. The year Manning and Brady were 1-upping each other w 49 and 50 TDs - yeah, Dan was obliterating other passers. They could only dream of coming close to his figures. Oh, and in ‘84 when he blew away all the records, we rushed for 1600 yards or 100 per game. Since we blew many opponents out, how much passing was he doing in the 4th quarter? Not much. There was no need. He could have thrown a lot more if they wanted too. I remember the ‘84 title game. He tore up the Steelers w 5 or 6 TD passes. It was ridiculous. Too bad we drew a more balanced 49er team in the SB. That ‘84 fins team was better than most SB winners in that era. Just not the ‘84 niners who may have been the 2nd best single season team in NFL history (to the ‘72 fins of course) as they only lost 1 game - in OT by a FG - to the AFC runner up Steelers.

Back
Top Bottom