Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek

They are both completely different. Patrick improvises so many different ways. Marino threw a rocket and it was off in the blink of an eye. Straight line barely with any arc.
Here's a nice little rocket! The flick of the arm and it's gone!
View attachment 36351
[/QUOTE]
Dan saw everything on the field / processed it faster than any QB in history. He got the ball out and to the right guy so quickly. I saw him one time from the front row in NJ playing Neil O’Donnel and the Jets. While O’Donnel wasn’t seeing wide open guys doing jumping jacks, Dan was finding 4th and 5th options faster than Neil could come off of his primary. It was obvious in person. Just played at a completely different level than most who have ever played the game.

Those types of QBs, allow you years of relevancy. Man, watching him on Monday night in any given year through his prime, was a gift.

I compare watching him to Jordan in the NBA. Lofty yes, but that's where Dan and the Mark's Brothers was special.

Maybe it's why Miami has used up all the graces from the NFL gods, in concerns to QB.

Well, they didn’t change the rules in MLB, but they’ve condoned the cheating Bonds, ARod, and others did, and they’re letting all of their statistics stand.

Nobody is ever going to achieve Bonds’ HR numbers again, yet he achieved them through cheating. That’s pretty unfair to both the players like Ruth and Maris before him, and to the players after him.

As a Cards fan, I love McGuire. But he stained his legacy. It's why Pujols mattered so much to Cards Nation. Love me some Yadi!

Rant done.

Marino is my favorite player of all time and best passing QB in history imo.

That being said, the game is different today more than just inference rules. No doubt DBs are at a disadvantage but defenses are built longer and faster to deal with complex passing games instead of the physical running teams of their age. Many QBs of the current era have a mobility factor to their game to pickup first downs too.

No doubt he'd be a 5,000 club regular, I just think stretching it out to 7,000 and stuff is exaggerating too far.

Well, they didn’t change the rules in MLB, but they’ve condoned the cheating Bonds, ARod, and others did, and they’re letting all of their statistics stand.

Nobody is ever going to achieve Bonds’ HR numbers again, yet he achieved them through cheating. That’s pretty unfair to both the players like Ruth and Maris before him, and to the players after him.
I'm a Giants fan, and I totally agree. The thing is, the MLB is not the NFL. If it were, Brady and Belicheck would never get into the HOF.

No question....younger fans don’t understand how the 2004 rules changes made QB’s like Brees, Manning, Brady etc etc etc....their numbers after that went way up dramatically.... what Marino did in his era was amazing and he would have destroyed this league with these rules...his accuracy was amazing.

no doubt he could do it, but remember this when decrying all the rule changes and qb protection rules of today- they were brought on in part by the ultr-athletic, huge fast aggressive and sophisticated defensive players and schemes we have in modern day where defenses continually evolve to contain offenses.

it’s not intellectually honest to say what he would do THEN against those defenses with TODAY’S rules.

If he had a bad defense that gave up points. At some point his team would be sitting on the clock.
Wow......

Just......wow......

He did have a bad defense, that gave up a ton of points, for the majority of his career, yet he never sat on the ball to run the clock. In fact, it was quite the opposite. Many games turned into shootouts for precicely that reason.

Back
Top Bottom