Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek

What made that game special at the time was all the naysayers telling me and the Dolphins they weren't good enough to beat the bears. No one expected the Dolphins to get an early lead and keep it. We had the 26th ranked run defense coming into that game. Shula had a pretty good game plan, too. I wish Jim McMahon had played.
McMahon or Fuller - I don’t think it mattered. They were all D and running. Didn’t they win a game that year where both QBs got hurt and Walter Payton had to play QB? Allie Sherman on Monday night matchup predicted the outcome of the game - and more impressively “how” we would win. He said the Bears only weakness on D was their excellent corners (Fencick was one of them) were slow / had slowed down and the pass rush wouldn’t get to Dan. He said we’d hit guys in flats and they could make the corners miss. Man was he spot on.
PS - McMahon did play - just not very well. He was really a care taker QB and I always forget to list him on the list of “non elite QBs who won SBs”. His personality and brand were great - but his play was Trent Dilfer / Brad Johnson at best.

Last edited:
That was one hell of a game. I rewatched the entire game on Youtube a few months ago. It wasn't quite as exciting as the night it happened, but entertaining none the less.
The thing that blew me away watching it is we made it look easy. The game was over by half time for all practical purposes. Teams didn’t come back from deficits like that back then. I remember we were dominating and then added insult to injury by blocking a punt and turning it into a TD just before the half. It was so over. The final score (win by 14) was deceiving. They never got close / lead was never in jeopardy. One of the most dominating performances where a great team gets manhandled.

McMahon or Fuller - I don’t think it mattered. They were all D and running. Didn’t they win a game that year where both QBs got hurt and Walter Payton had to play QB? Allie Sherman on Monday night matchup predicted the outcome of the game - and more impressively “how” we would win. He said the Bears only weakness on D was their excellent corners (Fencick was one of them) were slow / had slowed down and the pass rush wouldn’t get to Dan. He said we’d hit guys in flats and they could make the corners miss. Man was he spot on.
PS - McMahon did play - just not very well. He was really a care taker QB and I always forget to list him on the list of “non elite QBs who won SBs”. His personality and brand were great - but his play was Trent Dilfer / Brad Johnson at best.

Hihi, he played that season, but not in that game. He was out for like 4 games, including that one. He dressed for it, and Ditka said he would play in an emergency, but I guess he ultimately decided it wouldn't be worth it. I don't remember all of this lol I watched 75% of the game again last night ;)

I agree about McMahon's ability, but my friends at the time thought he was fantastic ;) They kept saying after Miami won that McMahon would have helped the Bears win that one.

Hihi, he played that season, but not in that game. He was out for like 4 games, including that one. He dressed for it, and Ditka said he would play in an emergency, but I guess he ultimately decided it wouldn't be worth it. I don't remember all of this lol I watched 75% of the game again last night ;)

I agree about McMahon's ability, but my friends at the time thought he was fantastic ;) They kept saying after Miami won that McMahon would have helped the Bears win that one.
Yeah I never understood the love for McMahon - I mean, his **** all attitude and hamming it up for the media are what did it I suppose - and doing all that while on a great team. I think in ‘86 they went 14-2 but got knocked out of the playoffs by the Giants or Niners. McMahon did come into that MNF game late just in time to go 3-6 w a pick or something to that effect :). We turned the Bears over 4 times and had 6 sacks so our D came to play that night - a rare monster performance by them that year!

Yeah I never understood the love for McMahon - I mean, his **** all attitude and hamming it up for the media are what did it I suppose - and doing all that while on a great team. I think in ‘86 they went 14-2 but got knocked out of the playoffs by the Giants or Niners. McMahon did come into that MNF game late just in time to go 3-6 w a pick or something to that effect :). We turned the Bears over 4 times and had 6 sacks so our D came to play that night - a rare monster performance by them that year!
Ahh, ok. Guess I tuned out too soon to catch McMahon.

Yeah, the whole team was pumped. Keeping that undefeated record safe meant something to them. Kim Bokamper says so, anyway. The Fins did need to keep up in the division. I think they were tied for 2nd with the Jets and 1 game back of the Patriots with only a few games to go in the season.

Ahh, ok. Guess I tuned out too soon to catch McMahon.

Yeah, the whole team was pumped. Keeping that undefeated record safe meant something to them. Kim Bokamper says so, anyway. The Fins did need to keep up in the division. I think they were tied for 2nd with the Jets and 1 game back of the Patriots with only a few games to go in the season.
I remember throwing a fist pump that would have made Tony Sporano (RIP coach) proud when we blocked the punt and scored to go up 31-10 at the half. Everyone knew it was over. The only team capable of coming back from a deficit like that in those days was, well, the Miami Dolphins! 21 point comebacks happen every week in the NFL now. Shows how much the game has changed that’s for sure.

It’s really not hard to connect the dots Re: Marino and today’s rules.

IMO it’s the same with Michael Jordan and today’s NBA rules. If Jordan could average 37.1 ppg back in 1986/87 and over 30 ppg for his career during an era when defenses could push, hold, hand check, and hammer players all over the court and especially when they drove the lane (e.g., the Jordan Rules) it‘s pretty easy to conclude that he’d fare far better when defenses can’t touch him at all. And add more three point attempts to his game.

Same goes for Marino. He threw for 5,084 yards and 48 TD’s, and routinely threw for over 4,000 and 30 TD’s yearly, during an era when defenses could push and hold receivers until the ball was in the air. They could also hammer receivers when they went over the middle of the field and/or were in the act of catching the ball. Hence today’s receivers are far more confident and run all over the field with impunity. That’s a been a huge factor In the recent rise of the pass game. And Marino did it with two diminutive 5-9 receivers. Not the 6-3 physical and fast specimens we see today.

Lastly, in today’s game, countless drives that used to end in punts or FG attempts now continue on (often resulting in TD’s) due to ’roughing’ or ‘defense-less player’ penalties.

With all that in mind, it’s easy to conclude that Marino would easily surpass and likely average far superior numbers than he accomplished in the 80’s and 90’s. Like Michael Jordan, he’d be nearly impossible to slow down with less restrictive rules.

We’re seeing most of the top QB’s in today’s game routinely achieve what used to be considered ridiculous numbers. Because of the rule changes. So give those same rules and circumstances to a superior QB like Marino or Elway and they’d go a lot farther with it.

Having the best season of his career in terms of QBR - and we were 4-1 having already crushed the Bills at Orchard Park. That team could have won it all. The Bills were at their weakest of their 4 SB teams and no doubt in my mind we would have taken the division and conference. They were just 10-6 to our 9-7. No injury to Dan and we are 12-4 or 13-3 that year.
I was in Montana, as part of a military funeral detail. I was at a bar, watching the game. I was crushed.

What Marino did to the records in his era.. is unparalleled in today’s era.... he shattered the all time marks under those rules... all the passing marks today are in a different league.

Now, honestly, during his stint, who else did he have on the team with him? Where would you even rank Duper and Clayton all time if they didn't have Marino throwing to them? And even with him, are they even top 50, top 100 receivers all time? No running backs. No defense. Offerdahl maybe was decent?

BS... Lawrence Taylor was better than any of these guys....Bruce Smith.... Reggie White...you could hit the receivers then past 5 yards.... and they could beat the hell out of the QB’s....Marino would have crushed the league today!
you know what funny ,brady who isnt even close to dan marino as far as pure passer, what would a primed dan marino do with a randy moss to throw to ,randy caught 24 td's from brady what do marino accomplish,damn im getting chills just thinking about this question,jerry rice who

Dan: "What does 'covered' mean? Is that like when the receiver is knocked down?"
Defense: "No it's when we are really close to the receiver, making it nearly impossible to complete a pass."
Dan: "That must be rare. I've never seen it."

Back
Top Bottom