Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek

Dan: "What does 'covered' mean? Is that like when the receiver is knocked down?"
Defense: "No it's when we are really close to the receiver, making it nearly impossible to complete a pass."
Dan: "That must be rare. I've never seen it."
This is not real right?

Having the best season of his career in terms of QBR - and we were 4-1 having already crushed the Bills at Orchard Park. That team could have won it all. The Bills were at their weakest of their 4 SB teams and no doubt in my mind we would have taken the division and conference. They were just 10-6 to our 9-7. No injury to Dan and we are 12-4 or 13-3 that year.
That was such a bizarre season. Mitchell came in and played great, so much so that there were ridiculous predictions that we'd eventually trade Marino. We kept winning until Mitchell got hurt and then the bottom fell out. That '93 team garnered the top spot on NFL Networks all-time single season collapses. We lost our last five.

Last edited:
That title game sucked. They ran all over us and kept Dan on the sideline.
Yep, we couldn't stop James, Collins or Robert Weathers. They had the ball 40 min to our 20. Dan had pressure all game even though he only got sacked once. 20/48, 248, 2TDs, 2 picks. Tough loss for sure!

That’s pretty unfair to both the players like Ruth and Maris before him, and to the players after him.

You’re assuming the records Ruth and Maris achieved — or anyone else for that matter — were legit. We don’t know that.

Aside from Ruth, specifically, playing prior to player integration, we don’t know that there weren‘t other factors aiding his efforts. Major League baseball has been a cheaters sport since its inception.

Pitchers doctored baseballs, batters corked bats, used pine tar, amphetamines, etc. This stuff is well known. What’s not known is the full extent of it.

Back in the early days of the sport and really up until and through the 70’s, the media coverage was drastically different. Most teams had one or two beat writers that covered the team. And in many cases, they were close enough to the team and players that they protected them from negative publicity. A lot of things were kept hidden and never came to light.

For the most part, that can’t really happen today. There’s so much more attention and coverage on all pro sports that it’s really hard for things to remain hidden for long. Hence the steroid/HGH and Astros cheating scandals coming to light. Spygate and deflate gate came to light in the NFL.

If this were the 1950’s, it would have been much more possible that none of those things would have been discovered.

Point is, we can’t ever know for sure that any of the ‘old’ records are any more legit than the ones being broken today. In the case of baseball, history suggests that it is been a cheaters sports for well over 100 years. So I’ve always been inclined to be skeptical about all of its records.

I personally don’t care if a cheater breaks another cheaters record.

McMahon or Fuller - I don’t think it mattered.

PS - McMahon did play - just not very well.
Hihi, he played that season, but not in that game. He was out for like 4 games, including that one. He dressed for it, and Ditka said he would play in an emergency, but I guess he ultimately decided it wouldn't be worth it.

McMahon did play in the game. He didn’t start but entered early Q4 when Fuller had to leave the game with a leg injury. He was in for the Bears final 3 possessions of the game

McMahon‘s stat line was 3-6 for 42 yards and an INT. He was even sacked twice.

Last edited:
What's really remarkable is the fact that opponents KNEW that Dan was going to throw the ball, and they still couldn't stop him!

Back
Top Bottom