Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan says he could throw for 6000 yds. in todays NFL … tongue in cheek

Easy.

I believe Montana was 2nd in the NFL behind him in TD passes in '84 with 28 TD's - Marino threw 48.

The year Marino threw 44 TD's I think the next guy had around 25.

I might give him 70 today.

In all fairness, Rod woodson said this about Marino first (a couple years back). I have no doubt Marino would destroy any passing record set in the past few years. I put very llittle stock in any offensive records-- especially related to passing and receiving-- in the past 10 years or so.

Last edited:
No doubts on that imo. He threw for right at 5,100 yards in 1984, his 2nd year in the league. If we had Dan in his prime today, I honestly think we'd be looking at a few 6,000 passing yards seasons from him.

If he had a bad defense that gave up points. At some point his team would be sitting on the clock.

Marino played for 17 years and missed 11 games in 93. When he retired in 99, that was a good run for a QB. Montana played 16 seasons. He missed one due to injury and sat for two years on the bench.

QB's back then got hammered when they were sacked. Hits to the head, low hits, driven into the ground, lack of concussion protocol. All this while WR's were getting the same punishment while trying to catch the ball.

Under the new rules Marino wouldn't have taken all those hits and probably would have remained healthier, longer.

Now look at the passing leaders. Brees, Brady and Manning. Look at some of the great teams they were on. Several HOF type WR's, RB's or TE's. Marino was also failed by lack of a good GM to bring in the talent for a running game or defense or even a WR. How many years did we go without a 1k receiver? Too many. 1k rusher? What did he have 1 or 2 in 17 years?

Throwing for 5,084 yards and 48 TD's in 1983 (with a team void of a running game or defense) is probably the equivalent of 7000 yards and 70 TD's today.

There is a reason QB's like Brees and Brady are playing into their 40's. Rules and better health technology are a few of them.

Back
Top Bottom