Daniels played S? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daniels played S?

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I heard Kiper call him a CB/S. At 195, I find that hard to believe.

He's too slow to play corner in the NFL (4.59 40), so he probably fits at FS. At FS, we need a ballhawk, someone who can make plays on the ball. Daniels is a good fit.

I predicted this pick last night. Daniels can play all positions in the secondary. And his versitility will give Saban options. He has speed too. At the combine, he ran a slow 40, but at this pro day, he ran a 4.45/40. He plays stronger and tougher than his measurable size. I actually believe he could be a nice FS in the pros or a nickle back to begin with. Also, he is a local kid from Lakeland, FL.

i heard he ran a 4.4

saban said corner was a area of need... we took one.. i dont expect to move him to safety exclusively.

But will he be able to handle NFL WR's and TE's at 195 lbs?

Here is the Huddle Report profile on Daniels
http://thehuddlereport.com/

by Drew Boylhart
SR Staff Writer
March 2005 Travis Daniels FS/CB LSU
Strengths
Travis has decent size for his position. He has good speed and quickness and is very smart. He shows good leadership qualities on the field. He has those nice long arms that are a big help in defending in the passing game and he is a good tackler. Travis is a playmaker. He is the type of kid that has good upside to his game and will be a starting player for a team at the next level.

Needs to Improve
Travis has a skinny frame and injuries are the one issue that could stop him from getting on the field and starting for the team that picks him. Right now, he is better in zone than man-to-man coverage, but most of his problem is technique related.

Bottom Line
Travis is the type of kid that never saw a ball in the air that he doesn’t consider his. He is very smart and what he lacks in talent, he makes up for with his brains. He has been bounced back and forth from CB to FS, so his man-to-man skills are not as developed as you would like to see at this stage of his career. This, and his lack of bulk, will drop him a bit in this draft. However, he should be able to help a team big time in a nickel/dime situation while he learns. Right now, Travis never met a zone defense that he doesn’t like. He likes the zone because he knows that in a zone, he will get more chances to intercept the ball and that’s what Travis is all about. If he bulks up, Travis has a chance to be as impacting at the Safety position as Ed Reed -- but he HAS to bulk up so that he can stay on the field for every down. He has Ed Reed instincts, so Travis - bulk up baby and you’ve got a career!

Kudos to LSU Tigah. Predicted the pick last night.
IMO Daniels fits the mold you're looking for in a safety.
Look at the man's profile: long arms, instinctive, effective blitzer, will not be fooled by play-action or double pumps.
As for his weaknesses: Needs to add bulk, poor backpedaling ability, tight hips.
Those are all the qualities you look for in a safety. He'll add 10 pounds and compete for the FS job.

MrClean said:
Here is the Huddle Report profile on Daniels
http://thehuddlereport.com/

by Drew Boylhart
SR Staff Writer
March 2005 Travis Daniels FS/CB LSU
Strengths
Travis has decent size for his position. He has good speed and quickness and is very smart. He shows good leadership qualities on the field. He has those nice long arms that are a big help in defending in the passing game and he is a good tackler. Travis is a playmaker. He is the type of kid that has good upside to his game and will be a starting player for a team at the next level.

Needs to Improve
Travis has a skinny frame and injuries are the one issue that could stop him from getting on the field and starting for the team that picks him. Right now, he is better in zone than man-to-man coverage, but most of his problem is technique related.

Bottom Line
Travis is the type of kid that never saw a ball in the air that he doesn’t consider his. He is very smart and what he lacks in talent, he makes up for with his brains. He has been bounced back and forth from CB to FS, so his man-to-man skills are not as developed as you would like to see at this stage of his career. This, and his lack of bulk, will drop him a bit in this draft. However, he should be able to help a team big time in a nickel/dime situation while he learns. Right now, Travis never met a zone defense that he doesn’t like. He likes the zone because he knows that in a zone, he will get more chances to intercept the ball and that’s what Travis is all about. If he bulks up, Travis has a chance to be as impacting at the Safety position as Ed Reed -- but he HAS to bulk up so that he can stay on the field for every down. He has Ed Reed instincts, so Travis - bulk up baby and you’ve got a career!

If this report is accurate, this was an awesome pick! How reliable is this huddle site?

IMO this is pick was abit shaky, hopefully Saban can get the best out of him.

I'd like the idea of Tebucky as SS and Daniels (bulked up) at FS.

phinfan2003 said:
If this report is accurate, this was an awesome pick! How reliable is this huddle site?
I like that site personally. Drew Boylhart, iirc, is a former coach, who just watches and studies lots of tapes of college games and writes based on what he sees. If he doesn't see it, he doesn't say it. I enjoy his writing style b/c it is a little different.

Back
Top Bottom