Darkhorse Picks for Dolphins at #11 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Darkhorse Picks for Dolphins at #11

I advocated taking Vea even when we had Suh. If he's the best player available at 11, you take him regardless of the roster. We also knew Suh wasn't going to be with is much longer, and I think its pretty reasonable to say Phillips won't be either. You don't have to wait for the cupboard to be empty before you draft a position. I also believe DT is a core position on defense - right after CB and DE.

That would require several players to be off the board, and even then I'd consider Payne over him. Both would be a reach at 11, imo. Either way, we downgrade at the position and are left with continued deficiencies in the LB corps and FS (not to mention offensive deficiencies that I don't think we were going to address in the first outside of potentially a QB).

How is he an overrated pass rusher? I think he’s underrated in that aspect and it’s not brought up enough. I’d argue the sideline to sideline too

I just don't see a lot of pass rush moves in the arsenal. Was most effective rushing up the gut. Not great getting off blocks ... needs works with his hands. Did not love that combine and I see why Bama used him like they did.

Barely in my top 5 of Bama ILBs during the Saban era. I'm thinking 3rd round myself.

That would require several players to be off the board, and even then I'd consider Payne over him. Both would be a reach at 11, imo. Either way, we downgrade at the position and are left with continued deficiencies in the LB corps and FS (not to mention offensive deficiencies that I don't think we were going to address in the first outside of potentially a QB).

Well you get rid of Suh and anyone you bring in is a downgrade. That doesn't mean you want to ignore the position just because its a downgrade. I'd say DT is probably a bigger need than LB or FS at this time. And I don't think Vea or Payne is a reach at 11, and theres a good chance Vea is drafted before 11.

You're asking for a darkhorse at 11. Not many listed are truly darkhorses. To me, a darkhorse is someone not rated in the top 20-30 players. So let's get crazy and say Sony Michel.

Pass on any Alabama lineman or LB. Recently Alabama guys have not be as good as pros as most thought.
Jackson would be a sleeper although he has a tendency to get caught looking into the backfield.

I advocated taking Vea even when we had Suh. If he's the best player available at 11, you take him regardless of the roster. We also knew Suh wasn't going to be with is much longer, and I think its pretty reasonable to say Phillips won't be either. You don't have to wait for the cupboard to be empty before you draft a position. I also believe DT is a core position on defense - right after CB and DE.

Don't disagree. That's a position with a huge need now that Suh is gone. I like the idea, depending on who is available, of trading down and maybe getting Payne. I think Vea has more upside, but I like Payne a little bit better coming out.

Payne with an additional number two and Miami could possibly add a running back like Michel and a tight end like Andrews.

You're asking for a darkhorse at 11. Not many listed are truly darkhorses. To me, a darkhorse is someone not rated in the top 20-30 players. So let's get crazy and say Sony Michel.

Really like the player a lot. I think late 1st, early 2nd most likely.

Don't disagree. That's a position with a huge need now that Suh is gone. I like the idea, depending on who is available, of trading down and maybe getting Payne. I think Vea has more upside, but I like Payne a little bit better coming out.

Payne with an additional number two and Miami could possibly add a running back like Michel and a tight end like Andrews.

Something to keep in mind, Payne is 2+ years younger than Vea, so he should have more room for growth/improvement. I'm not disputing your point, necessarily, because Vea showed more - in the way of penetration - but if you like Payne more now, you'll probably also like him more as a pro.

Ward just might be there at 11 and could be the BPA. Miami can pick the best player available at 11 and be good. If the quarterback run is not hype, it will be tough just picking the best of the best. There will be a lot of really good players there at 11.

Ward just might be there at 11 and could be the BPA. Miami can pick the best player available at 11 and be good. If the quarterback run is not hype, it will be tough just picking the best of the best. There will be a lot of really good players there at 11.

I think Ward is one of the 32 best players in this class, but he'd be the lightest CB to go in the 1st this decade.

Something to keep in mind, Payne is 2+ years younger than Vea, so he should have more room for growth/improvement. I'm not disputing your point, necessarily, because Vea showed more - in the way of penetration - but if you like Payne more now, you'll probably also like him more as a pro.

Seems more consistent to me. Maybe that's the coaching aspect with Alabama.

Back
Top Bottom