Dave Hyde nails it. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dave Hyde nails it.

dolphinheel

Active Roster
Reaction score
Dave Hyde's not nailed a thing in his life, so I highly doubt he just started here and therefore have no interest reading this. But to save folks click baiting and not help the Sentinel pay him and Omar, perhaps you could summarise what the turnip said.

Last edited:
I agree we have two paths. No way we draft Sewell so please let’s move on from that noise.

Copy a few paragraphs from the link please for those without a subscription

Copy a few paragraphs from the link please for those without a subscription
All roads lead to one question in the Miami Dolphins draft: Do they keep the No. 3 pick and swing for the greatness of Louisiana State receiver Ja’Marr Chase? Or trade down to a team needing a quarterback in exchange for more draft picks and, perhaps, DeVonta Smith later?
This isn’t just about what receiver you like. It’s about philosophy. Team-building. It’s about a Dolphins roster with only one great player using the best chance to add another versus adding picks that increase the odds for greatness in another fashion.

The case for keeping the No. 3 pick depends on what you feel about Chase more than any other player. Oregon tackle Penei Sewell sounds great, but the Dolphins invested in two tackles last draft. If they can’t trust their development, this whole plan is sunk.
Besides, you need a good offensive line, not a great one to contend for Super Bowls. The four finalists this year again showed that. What you need is a great quarterback and a couple of great playmakers. Chase, a NFL scout scolded me after a recent column mentioning Smith first, is the breakthrough talent.
“It’s not that close, really,” he said. “Look, Smith is a great player, but lacks the size you want. Chase has everything you look — size, speed, playmaking. The comparison is (Arizona great) Larry Fitzgerald.”

Chase fits some recent metrics the Dolphins are using, too. They can be understood by Bill Parcells’ old line, “If he doesn’t bite as a puppy, he won’t ever bite.” The Dolphins are doing an NBA thing of late. They’re weighing rawer talent over more polished seniors.
Take two of the first-round picks last year. Tackle Austin Jackson, 20 when drafted, started as a sophomore at Southern Cal. Noah Igbinoghene, also 20 when drafted, also started as a sophomore at Auburn.
Chase fits that idea. He turns 21 in March. As a sophomore, he won the Fred Biletnikoff Award as the country’s best receiver. He was a unanimous All-American as a junior. He sat out last year. So there’s the No. 1 receiver the Dolphins lack or open Door No. 2.

They trade down. Quarterbacks will rise in demand, as always, as the draft nears. Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence goes first, and Brigham Young’s Zach Wilson probably goes second. So the Dolphins’ third pick holds the spot where some team needing a quarterback could jump for Ohio State’s Justin Fields or North Carolina State’s Trey Lantz.

Lots of teams need a quarterback, too. Could the Dolphins swap picks with No. 4 Atlanta for, say, a third-round pick this year and next year? Trade picks with No. 8 Carolina, as ESPN’s Todd McShay suggested, for a second-round pick (39th overall) and a first-round next year?

This has merit beyond the mere draft picks and beyond the chance of drafting Smith or Alabama receiving teammate Jaylen Waddle at a lower spot. Carolina could struggle again next year. Its pick might be in the Top 10 again.
So beyond the stockpiling of top picks, this trade provides insurance if quarterback Tua Tagovailoa doesn’t show progress next season. You don’t have to believe that will happen. You need available options if you’re General Manager Chris Grier, though.
Grier has worked the draft both ways. He didn’t trade down when he saw greatness in Fitzpatrick. He traded down in the pre-draft of 2016 to the 13th pick and picked up Tunsil there.
There’s no need to answer in February whether to use the No. 3 pick on Chase or trade down for draft riches. It needs studying. Mulling. I asked the NFL scout what he would do: “I’d let the GM make the decision — that’s why he’s paid the big money,’' he said.

I stopped reading this after he is making a case for us drafting Smith. Is almost like everyone's safe or go to argument for our draft, or our problems in offense. If we cannot trade down, then we need to get our line better with the best tackle we can choose. And it happens to be on the best draft prospects at tackle in a while. We are talking about tackles in the same vein as the great tackles that been drafted in the last few years. We need our own David Bakhtiari's, Armstread, and etc. We cannot just keep patching our line by making someone that is bettter suited as a guard to play tackle, or viceversa. Sewell will be our third overall pick, not a smith or chase. I don't mean any disrespect to any of you brothers, or Heel etc. I just feel it is logical that we build the strongest offensive line that we can before we start to think our roster will somehow get better from the hype surrounded by offensive players coming out of the draft.

I stopped reading this after he is making a case for us drafting Smith. Is almost like everyone's safe or go to argument for our draft, or our problems in offense. If we cannot trade down, then we need to get our line better with the best tackle we can choose. And it happens to be on the best draft prospects at tackle in a while. We are talking about tackles in the same vein as the great tackles that been drafted in the last few years. We need our own David Bakhtiari's, Armstread, and etc. We cannot just keep patching our line by making someone that is bettter suited as a guard to play tackle, or viceversa. Sewell will be our third overall pick, not a smith or chase.
Fins have drafted 5 OL in the last 2 drafts. Maybe a little bit of patience would simply do it...

I stopped reading this after he is making a case for us drafting Smith. Is almost like everyone's safe or go to argument for our draft, or our problems in offense. If we cannot trade down, then we need to get our line better with the best tackle we can choose. And it happens to be on the best draft prospects at tackle in a while. We are talking about tackles in the same vein as the great tackles that been drafted in the last few years. We need our own David Bakhtiari's, Armstread, and etc. We cannot just keep patching our line by making someone that is bettter suited as a guard to play tackle, or viceversa. Sewell will be our third overall pick, not a smith or chase.
You don’t want to read it because it counters your narrative. Same old tired refrain, and you’re about the only one saying it now. None of the Miami media is saying it, none of the connected National sports media or scouts are saying it and only a few peripheral mock sites are saying it. Just you. Go ahead and ride this horse till it dies but it ain’t happening dude.

Fins have drafted 5 OL in the last 2 drafts. Maybe a little bit of patience would simply do it...
Our line still ranked 28th best in the league. What point are you trying to make then? I get what you are trying to say, yes we drafted offensive linemen, but that doesn't changes the fact that our offensive line requires more work. We were so horrible in 2019 that the ceiling was set so low for 2020. Our offensive line did look at lot better, but that is also due to the fact that our offensive play calling contributed to that as well. The Chargers had a more horrible offensive line than we did, and they were still able to put up offensive numbers better than we did. Does that make sense brother?

Im still waiting for someone to show me any kind of correlation between weight and NFL success for WRs...
Right. There are all kinds of exceptions either way. It will be even harder to evaluate because it’s unlikely we’ll have a combine where they can interview them and see them compete with each other. At the end of the day it comes down to on field production vs good comp and I’m good with either Smith or Chase. Both are proven talents. Smith might have an edge because they had access to him at the SB and his familiarity with Tua. Good either way.

Back
Top Bottom