Dave Hyde nails it. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dave Hyde nails it.

Of the top 25 WR's in the NFL last year, 4 weighed less than 190 pounds (Tyreke Hill 185, Brandon Cooks 183, Tyler Lockett 182), and only one of those weighed less than 180 (Cole Beasley 174).

I'd rather not take a WR at #3, but if we do, give me Chase.

I remember a Dolphin fan being super hot on Tavon Austin. So I checked the top 20 in receiving yards and it wasn’t good for small receivers.
Allright, I admit I dont really have alot time to put into this but I do have some data for all WRs(25+ tgts) from the 2018 season. Here's a quick linear model plot that shows the relationship between:

weight and yds per target.

wr-weight.png

height and yards per target

wr-height.png

BMI and yards per target

wr-bmi.png

I dont know about you, but it really doesnt seem like there's that big of a relationship, and if there is, it's actually disagreeing with you.

Last edited:
Im still waiting for someone to show me any kind of correlation between weight and NFL success for WRs...

I suppose people in here will take a few guys drafted since 2000 that fit the physical scales of players of such stature, or bodyweight to represent that as being the reason why they weren't good players. Same case can be made for every wide receiver with 4.3 speed that sucked in the nfl. I guess football IQ, route running, or any atribute that makes a wide receiver great all of a sudden doesn't become a factor with someone less than 200 lbs lol.

Allright, I admit I dont really have alot time to put into this but I do have some data for all WRs(25+ tgts) from the 2018 season. Here's a quick linear model plot that shows the relationship between:

View attachment 66160

View attachment 66161

BMI and yards per target

View attachment 66162

I dont know about you, but it really doesnt seem like there's that big of a relationship, and if there is, it's actually disagreeing with you.
Yes the top 20 from one year is definitely far from scientific. And we absolutely could use a slot receiver who gets closer to 10 YPC but is always open and gets FDs

Dave Hyde's not nailed a thing in his life, so I highly doubt he just started here and therefore have no interest reading this. But to save folks click baiting and not help the Sentinel pay him and Omar, perhaps you could summarise what the turnip said.
This is a candidate for post of the year. Hyde's a nice guy ... but let's just say that paper is lacking in it's Dolphins coverage.

Im still waiting for someone to show me any kind of correlation between weight and NFL success for WRs...
I look at it like this....

As long as he's not Ted Ginn or Pat White thin, then I'm cool with it.

Well his point of trading back with a top 10 pick this year and also getting their top pick next year would be the way to go if that's a option. Great insurance if Tua fails possibly. Throw in a 2nd this year and then it's a no brainer.

I disagree I think Devonta Smith is the better player and gets more separation

First off.....Dave Hyde hasn’t nailed anything since his junior prom....And that was probably over before any of us got half way through this article.

As for the draft, I am warming up to Chase over Smith. The more video I watch of him, the more I like him. I don’t necessarily buy into the NFL corners re-routing him easily argument. It’s really going to come down to his 40 time.

As for Smith, I think he’s going to be successful in the league. He does need to add 20 pounds. But I don’t really buy into the he’s going to be injured a lot hype.

Either way, I’ll be happy....But I’d be happier for a trade down with a massive haul of future draft picks. I kinda liked keeping track of Houston’s implosion this year.

I watched Smith get thrown around like a rag doll and get a broken thumb in the Championship Game. Just so we are clear I am pretty sure he would miss time with a broken thumb playing in the pros. The guys that will be tackling him in the NFL will be bigger, faster and stronger. I will take the pit bull, Chase if I have my choice. Hopefully we get a slight trade down so if he is there we at least got some additional capital out of the deal to offset any concerns.

Last I checked LSU WR's are pretty skilled and he is seen as better than Jefferson and Landry and on the level of OBJ. If I am at #3 and cannot trade out it would be Sewell or Chase for me (if the measurables check out). That #18 will be key to what we draft depending on 3 but I would actually like to trade up or down with that pick. Trade up to get Parsons or Pitts or trade down and get Etienne or Harris.

View attachment 66160

View attachment 66161

BMI and yards per target

View attachment 66162

wow. Lots of dots, you’re right. Lighter is better. 🙄

Have to say, unconvinced by this, I can see Sewell being picked up still, it all depends on the FA plan and subsequent execution. If we pick up a couple of WRs in FA then Sewell is likely our no 3 draft pick. Give it three weeks and we’ll find out but this article is no different to pi**ing in the rain

Once upon a time there weren't no internet or twitter or fan forums so the local sports writers were about all you had for "additional" or "supplemental" football news and assorted fixes... Hard to believe we came from such primitive times! But anyway add to that mix the unlimited blogs and video providers and the local outlets are dinosaurs who haven't come to grips with their extinction yet.

In a way I feel sorry for them. The asteroid that destroyed their planet was the evil internet invented by Al Gore!

True Story!
Funny, but in reality it has dramatically changed the world in which we live.

Every thing is either "shock" value, or confimation bias echo chambers.

The sad part is it goes far beyond sports, and has had a deleterious (IMO) effect on everything from news reporting to entertainment, not that there is much difference at this point.

Any pontificating beyond that would fall outside the purview and scope of this forum.

But yeah, most of our beat writers are clowns, and with this Dolphins administration, all the good ole boy network of contacts and leaks have vanished, so all they have is hot takes, and baseless speculation.

I don't feel sorry for them at all. Making six figures to spout poorly written fiction.........

Back
Top Bottom