Dave TE's draft profile of AJ Feeley

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
ADAM JOSHUA "A.J." FEELEY
By: Dave-Te' Thomas

#7-ADAM JOSHUA "A.J." FEELEY University of Oregon Ducks 6:03.1-217

ANALYSIS
Positives... Well-proportioned athlete who knows how to manage an offense... Has a very quick set-up, moving away from the center fluidly...Displays a high release point and even though he's more comfortable in the pocket, he shows good improvisation skills on the move...Touch passer with a good understanding of defensive coverage...has good poise in the pocket, rarely forcing his throws...Shows solid timing and consistency on slants and fades, feathering the ball past the defenders so his receivers do not have to work to make the catch...Can vary the speed on his passes and will step up and make the completion when his pocket collapses...Scans the field quickly to spot his open target and has the body control to make defenders miss when on the move.

Negatives... Does not have the arm strength or consistency to throw deep (note-player has just now fully recovered from a right elbow injury suffered in 1999 that affected his velocity)...His loss of velocity causes his balls to flutter and die when throwing from the opposite hash mark...Does not seem to throw across the body effectively, tending to go to a side-arm release on his deep throws...While he stands tall in the pocket, he does not have the lateral agility to escape when flushed out of the pocket or the quickness to gain much yardage past the line of scrimmage.

CAREER NOTES
Unheralded athlete who gave the Ducks one of the best reserve quarter-backs in the nation last year...A former starter in 1999, many scouts feel that he will be a major steal on draft day for a team that utilizes a "West Coast" offense...In 22 games at Oregon, he completed 149 of 282 passes (52.8%) for 2175 yards, 15 touchdowns and only six interceptions.

REMIND ME OF... Cincinnati's Jon Kitna.

GAZING INTO THE CRYSTAL BALL... Don't look for Feeley to be drafted until much later in the draft, if at all, but he has that attitude and athletic ability that could make some general manager look very smart down the road once he gets proper tutelage. The Raiders and Packers have shown keen interest in Feeley lately and he could be a nice reclamation project for either team, as both are known for their patience with quarterbacks.

Doesn't sound all that bad. Sounds like his biggest knock was armstrength and the injury really took its toll on that come draft time, but by now he's obviously got his velocity back.

I'm trying to find a silver lining here. I just think that the Dolphins showed no ballz here by taking the ultra-safe option instead of going for high returns on either Henson or Rivers in the draft especially now that it looks like we'll be letting Ogun go, and Henson will be returning to the draft because the Texans don't have the ability to trade him.

PFT brought up some good points on that. If you guarantee any of Henson's salaries in later years, those guaranteed payments would get accelerated to the Texans cap when they trade him. Then there's the fact that whatever his contract cap figure for year 1 is, it has to fit under the Texans' rookie allotment from back in 2003 when they drafted Henson. On top of that, you are downright not allowed to renegotiate a rookie's contract within 1 year of signing it. So either Henson takes a contract with a bunch of option years and bonuses, which would be a risk to him with no guarantees against injury or something, or it looks like its the draft for him.

Even so we could have gotten Rivers or Henson in the draft because of the freedom Ogun's picks would give us, I'm very confident in that fact. But now we've given a 2nd round pick for a guy who played 5 games and didn't have any better stats than Damon Huard did when he started 5 or 6 games for us in 1999. I remember when Feeley started that year, he looked very much like a caretaker and people just couldnt believe the Eagles were still winning and that he wasn't flubbing the ball all over the place to defenders. They said they'll believe it when they see him go against a REAL defense, like the Giants. Sure enough, against the Giants he has a Fiedler-esque day, and in Fiedler form the Eagles still nearly win because of the defense, not Feeley's arm.

Supposedly we'll be using the saved first rounder(s) on a WR who likely won't contribute anything terribly meaningful in his rookie year (most late first round rookie WRs do not). If we're using the pick on a future reward guy I would rather it have been a QB while allowing Sage to start in the short term. I don't like it. Even with the future 2nd rounder being given up, I think we should draft Rivers or Henson....preferably Rivers.

I'd imagine the Feeley deal has two cap figures in the first years that are very low like Fiedler's contract did. Drafting a Rivers or Henson would still kind of make sense then...because chances really are that Feeley won't light the world on fire he'll just kind of help us win some games that the defense doesnt get enough credit for like Fiedler did.

Also I think its possible considering the teams interested in Brunell that Fiedler gets a bite or two via trade from a team that wants desperately to win 8 games.

This draft profile has been posted so many times on here i cant keep count

Originally posted by MARLINSFAN305
Thats funny i am on here like 4 times a day and i havent seen that yet. We must be reading different posts. Thanks for the post ParrotHead

To the credit of the front office (whether deserved or not remains to be seen), Hank has already said that they are going to go big on the interior of the line and use the first pick on a WR. I would have to think Feeley's contract is a reason we'll be able to upgrade the line so much. I know you, and many others, think QB should be top priority no questions asked, but look at it this way, Ricky should be running behind a much more dominant line next year. Even with last year's line and facing 8 men in the box, he still managed to grind out nearly 1400 yards. Sure, teams are going to stack the box again, but the upgraded offensive line should still make a big difference. Then, it's just a matter of what Feeley can do. Most people think he will at least be a bit better passer than Fiedler. He should have more time too thanks to the offensive line. I'm intrigued to see what he can do with a dangerous Ricky behind him and Chambers, Clayton/Woods/Jenkins, Thompson, Tolver, and McMichael to throw to.

I say all of this without even mentioning the extra picks we might receiver for Ogun. Who knows what we might do there? We definitely have a lot of options.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

PFT brought up some good points on that. If you guarantee any of Henson's salaries in later years, those guaranteed payments would get accelerated to the Texans cap when they trade him. Then there's the fact that whatever his contract cap figure for year 1 is, it has to fit under the Texans' rookie allotment from back in 2003 when they drafted Henson. On top of that, you are downright not allowed to renegotiate a rookie's contract within 1 year of signing it. So either Henson takes a contract with a bunch of option years and bonuses, which would be a risk to him with no guarantees against injury or something, or it looks like its the draft for him.

PTF doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to the CBA. They are clearly quoting a source that gets it half right.

In the end, the only way the deal can be done in a manner that prevents the Texans from taking a cap hit is through big non-guaranteed salaries in years two and beyond and/or option bonuses that don't hit the cap until the trigger is pulled on giving Henson the money.

They forgot about the rookie 25% rule.

The CBA states
(e) No Player Contract signed by a Rookie may provide for an annual increase in Salary of more than 25% of the contract’s first League Year

Page 51

Salary, unless such Player Contract provides for Salary which is equal to the then-applicable Minimum Salary for each League Year of the contract. For the purposes of the calculation in this section only, any amount of a signing bonus attributed to the player’s Salary shall not be counted.

*Extension Agreement 2/25/98

This is the reason Tom Condon was inquiring about a 10 to 15 year contract.

I also don't agree that Henson's contract has to fit under the 2003 rookie pool allotment. The lower of Henson's rookie pool allotment or what's left of the Texans's 2003 rookie pool is allocated to the Texans' 2004 Rookie Pool Allotment for the unsigned rookie. Now if the Texans' don't want to take a larger hit to their 2004 rookie pool that's different.

"I'm trying to find a silver lining here. I just think that the Dolphins showed no ballz here by taking the ultra-safe option instead of going for high returns "

Seriously, how is taking an unproven 3rd stringer who played 5 games, paying him millions of dollars and getting rid of our starter while leaving a backup spot unfilled before fixing out wr and o-line problem considered an ultra-safe option????

Originally posted by MARLINSFAN305

You can only imagine how bad Tom Brady's draft profile was - afterall, he was drafted in the 5th round?? And we know how good he turned out to be...

I think we are all in serious wait and see mode with A.J. I am definately a fence sitter slightly leaning towards it being a good deal ( if for no other reason than for change). I admit, I would have been happier with Ramsey and a big offensive line, but I guess, for now, this is our best option and we need to build around him.

I don't see how A.J is a better option than Fiedler at this point or even Sage.I really wanted Rivers or Henson.I just hope Spielman see something in Feely but I don't see why any one should be happy about this move.

I can't wait to see him in pre-season and see what he can do on our offence with what I hope will be a better o-line and another good WR to go along with CC, Ricky and Randy.I think that those pre-season games will make some people change their minds one way or the other, depending on what he does and what side of the fence you're in.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom