Dave Wannstedt...A retrospective (2000-2003) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dave Wannstedt...A retrospective (2000-2003)

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
I know that it may seem premature, but the writing is on the wall. It might be nostalgic to look (not so fondly) back on the Wannstedt era.

I dug up some interesting stats on the J.J./Wanny Dolphin teams..

From 1996 to 2002, the Fins were never worse than 16th in the NFL in pts scored. This season with (arguably) the best talent at the skill positions in that span, Miami is ranked 21st.

After improving from 23rd to 2nd in rushing offense last year, the Fins have dropped back to 16th with essentially the same personnel.

From 1998 to 2001, Miami was in the top 6 in pass defense every season. This year with (arguably) the best talent in the secondary in that span, Miami is 22nd.

Under Wannstedt, the Fins have been in the bottom 5 in passing offense in 3 of 4 seasons.

After 5 straight years in the top 6 in total defense, Miami has dropped to 12th this season. How did this happen?

Record as Dolphins Head Coach (40-25)..
Playoff victories...ONE

Greatest moment as Dolphins coach..December 30th, 2000
Overachieving team rallies from a 14-0 deficit to stun the Colts in OT 23-17 to reach the AFC semifinals.

Worst moment as Dolphins coach...December 29th, 2002
Underachieving team blows a 24-14 4th qtr lead to NE to blow division and miss playoffs.

Defining moment as Dolphins coach...October 23rd, 2000
Dolphins blow a 30-7 4th qtr lead to lose in OT to the Jets. This loss seems to be a game that the Dolphins still haven't recovered from. They are still a mentally fragile team. When anything goes wrong, they fold. When the pressure is on in a huge game, they fold. They play scared..they coach not to lose instead of coaching to win. They always say that they won't let it happen again, but they ALWAYS let it happen again. The players seem to be masochists. They expect the worst to happen and it usually does.

It certainly seems as though Miami has more talent now than before Wannstedt took over, but the Dolphins have gotten progressively worse.

The key questions are...Are the Dolphins a better team now than before Wannstedt took over? Are the Fins really more talented since he took over..or are they less talented than before? Can someone else take this team to the next level..ala Dungy to Gruden in TB?

It may be a little early...

...for an obituary. But we sure need a philosophical change at this franchise.

The teams than win with a team largely predicated on defense (best example PATS) don't as a rule work entirely reactively they work aggressively and proactively so that the offense is thinking about what they're doing and not solely about the move they're going to make. Defensively, there's room for a change of philosophy.

If our offense can be so called, then it's base in running with a power back requires a first rate line to make some room for the guy. With the best will in the world our line ain't first rate (losing Dixon was a tough loss and as he said in a recent interview it was too much to expect that Nails would excell in his first year back from that surgery). No tangible attempts were made to ensure this was the case during the last offseason. We lived in hope for a while.

The strategy of trying to remain in games until late and win them in the fourth quarter required, alas, a better QB than Jay. Sure he has had some success and the Redskins will be held up before me as example. But this particular strategy requires the highest discipline and accuracy. Mistakes and gambles are not part of the plan - but they are part of his makeup.

Dave applied his strategy and philosophy in Miami and it failed. Period. So we need a new plan.

If Dave goes as seems likely, I wish him the best. Take a year off and look at what is making winning football teams CURRENTLY, as opposed to what won when the NFC North teams were dominant in the then NFC Central). Adopt a new philosophy and adapt it to his own coaching style. He'll be back and I'm sure he can make a success of it somewhere.

Meanwhile, in Miami I hope to see a greater balance between offensive and defensive priorities. Let's have a look at a Colts style offense combined with a Pats style defense. See where that might get us. How about trying to put games away before half-time? How about confusing offenses with aggressive and proactive defense?

Whatever comes next, even if it starts off losing, hope will spring eternal that we'll get more for our entertainment dollar and be doing enough right to build success.

And the funny thing about Wannstedt is that he doesn't seem to know why we have these breakdowns. I know he won't single out any players, but he just comes off as clueless when explaining his teams mental and physical breakdowns.

Miami should emulate what Tampa did. They aquired a smart, veteran QB (Brad Johnson) and a smart veteran WR (McCardell) to improve the offense. Miami could aquire Brunell and a decent WR and maybe it could help them make the playoffs on 2004.

I don't know about talent but I know about the delicate thing called Heart. It's something you can't coach. It's the thing that gets teams over the hump late in the game when both you and the man in front of you can't go another inch.

So, does everyone feel like Miami has similar talent to the 1999 team? Or is Wanny leaving us (hopefully) in good shape?

well it looks like we're in bad cap shape but we still will have a stud running back!!! And a good D...so we are still okay...i guess!!!

Originally posted by Sherif
I don't know about talent but I know about the delicate thing called Heart. It's something you can't coach. It's the thing that gets teams over the hump late in the game when both you and the man in front of you can't go another inch.

i disagree, i think heart can be coached...more appropriately, it can be instilled. i'll cite the bengals and cowboys this season...

heck, look last years bucs. they went into the season with the same stigma as miami. cant win in cold weather, can win on the road in the playoffs.

Originally posted by Sherif
I don't know about talent but I know about the delicate thing called Heart. ...

Man have you got that right! The Phins are, well, and I hate to say it, heatless losers and have been for a long time. But I think you can coach that, at least to an extent. My college coach, Dan Hawkins of the Boise State Broncos (the top mid-major program) fields teams that, while they are very talented and well coached, never give up, never quit on a play, they never make excuses; they have heart. Yeah, Yeah, I know college is not the NFL but I think it is still valid. I am of the opinion that Wanny needs to be gone and replaced by, umm, well…darned if I know. But some one with fire, some one that will not take excuses, some one who would just as soon die as lose. Some one like…the Tuna.
No they are not hearless losers! Somethimes I forget that it is a game. I appologize for this stupid statement and disrespecting our Dolphins No they are not heartless losers! Sometimes I forget that it is a game. I apologize for this stupid statement and disrespecting our Dolphins

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom