David Greene | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

David Greene

CrunchTime said:
How many times have we seen College QBs who have led their teams to multiple conference championships and even national championships with great records and statistics not being able to make it in the NFL ?.

He could fit in an NFL team that needs a caretaker type of QB but I dont see him carrying a team.IMO he needs a lot of talent around him.

His leadership and field vision are qualities that will attract some teams and I agree he will be a first day pick perhaps going in the late second round.

Same thing was said about Tom Brady.

This is like deja vu for me. When I watched Tom Brady back in 1999 and 2000, I always wondered why Michigan was so intent on getting Drew Henson playing time. I saw a guy who was an excellent play action quarterback with a good arm and a pocket awareness that was unmatched. Tom Brady threw the post corner route as good as anyone, which is one of the tougher throws to make.

When I see David Greene, I see a quarterback who is an excellent play action quarterback with a good arm and a pocket awareness that is unmatched.

KB21 said:
Same thing was said about Tom Brady.

This is like deja vu for me. When I watched Tom Brady back in 1999 and 2000, I always wondered why Michigan was so intent on getting Drew Henson playing time. I saw a guy who was an excellent play action quarterback with a good arm and a pocket awareness that was unmatched. Tom Brady threw the post corner route as good as anyone, which is one of the tougher throws to make.

When I see David Greene, I see a quarterback who is an excellent play action quarterback with a good arm and a pocket awareness that is unmatched.

The Tom Brady comparison is a bit of a stretch.Remember Brady has a high IQ and is a quick learner.But I could be wrong.If Saban drafts him I wont complain because he knows more about him than either of us and I will be the first to say I was wrong..;)

KB21 said:
The same reason Tom Brady wasn't rated high by some, even though I had him as the #2 quarterback in the 2000 draft. He isn't flashy enough. Too many people have gotten caught up into the mobility aspect that they knock a guy who has absolute perfect passing instincts.

He's a borderline second day pick only in the minds of some fans and so called draftniks out there, when in fact, he's currently battling Jason Campbell and Charlie Frye to be the third quarterback picked. Greene is definitely ahead of the highly overrated Adrian McPherson and the relatively underrated Andrew Walter.

I know for a fact that Green Bay is looking at David Greene as a possible late second round pick if they can't get Frye, and Nick Saban has taken a major interest in him as well. Even Odell Thurman made the statement that Nick Saban was paying more attention to David Greene and the receivers at Georgia when they worked out for Miami.

Tom Brady if I'm not mistaken was in a much different scenario at Michigan than Greene was in Georgia. He was somewhat hidden by playing with Griese and Henson, Greene as you say was a four year starter, so he has hardly been hidden and his situation is much different than Brady's.

Try as you may, its not only fans that don't see Greene as a first or second rounder, Phillip Rivers is a not a real mobile QB either and yet he went high as a four year starter, scouts don't see Greene in that light.

I'm not saying Greene isn't a good fourth round gamble, but I think you way overrate him.

Aaron Rodgers blew him off the field when they passed side by side in both accuracy and distance.

Richt is a U of Miami graduate and played football down here. He went on to FSU Coaching QBs so you're half right.

BSQX4 said:
Richt is a U of Miami graduate and played football down here. He went on to FSU Coaching QBs so you're half right.

Actually I was referring to where he coached, not played, and your half right also I think, wasn't Richt also the Offensive Coordinator under Bowden when he finally got his shot as a head coach?

KB21 said:
David Greene has the best pocket presence of any quarterback in the draft. The guy is also automatic in the two minute drill. I've never seen him get flustered in the pocket.

During his career, David Greene engineered 7 fourth quarter comebacks. Five of those were against nationally ranked teams. His career record is 42-9 in 51 starts. He holds SEC records in total yards from scrimmage in a career and the most consecutive passes without an interception.

He's a four year starter with excellent field vision, a good arm, and terrific quarterbacking instincts. Scouts know this, and Nick Saban knows this. David Greene will go off the board in the late 2nd to early 3rd round area, and I believe this is the quarterback Nick Saban would like to get.

Good to see you KB. Bringing the meat I see.

I've been saying the exact same thing for months about David Greene. The guy has all the intangibles you look at when selecting QB. You're dead on about the similarites between Greene and Brady. I've gone a step further and said he will be the next Tom Brady.

Tom Brady if I'm not mistaken was in a much different scenario at Michigan than Greene was in Georgia. He was somewhat hidden by playing with Griese and Henson, Greene as you say was a four year starter, so he has hardly been hidden and his situation is much different than Brady's.

Try as you may, its not only fans that don't see Greene as a first or second rounder, Phillip Rivers is a not a real mobile QB either and yet he went high as a four year starter, scouts don't see Greene in that light.

I'm not saying Greene isn't a good fourth round gamble, but I think you way overrate him.

Aaron Rodgers blew him off the field when they passed side by side in both accuracy and distance.
Scouts don't rate a QB based on who the previous QB were. Tom Brady played very well, but he didn't grab the attention.

Mobility is overrated. Dan Marino wasn't mobile but he and David Greene have pocket presence... The ability to know where everyone is on the field.

David Greene doesn't have a cannon. What he has is enough of arm strength. I don't know when he'll throw 75 yard bombs in the NFL (not WR running after the catch), it's entertainment only.

dolphingator said:
His problem is that he just isn't any good. Product of the system, and the system was flawed to begin with. No doubt that georgia had big-time talent the last 3-4 years but they are a bunch of underachievers. Without the other talents on that team you would never hear about greene.

Saban knows that too.

Get away from this idea!!! We don't want the guy!

That's to be expected from a UF fan. ;)

KB21 said:
David Greene has the best pocket presence of any quarterback in the draft. The guy is also automatic in the two minute drill. I've never seen him get flustered in the pocket.

During his career, David Greene engineered 7 fourth quarter comebacks. Five of those were against nationally ranked teams. His career record is 42-9 in 51 starts. He holds SEC records in total yards from scrimmage in a career and the most consecutive passes without an interception.

He's a four year starter with excellent field vision, a good arm, and terrific quarterbacking instincts. Scouts know this, and Nick Saban knows this. David Greene will go off the board in the late 2nd to early 3rd round area, and I believe this is the quarterback Nick Saban would like to get.

Keith you just described Lefors too....winning record....better accuracy than Greene...and is alot more mobile....and unlike Greene...Lefors had a private visit with Saban.

If we don't end up getting Rodgers or Smith, I would be thrilled to draft Greene.

fishypete said:
Keith you just described Lefors too....winning record....better accuracy than Greene...and is alot more mobile....and unlike Greene...Lefors had a private visit with Saban.

Lefors is about 2-3 inches to short, doesn't have the expirence of Greene, and played in a much weaker confrence (David Greene is in the SEC).

Hostile7 said:
Scouts don't rate a QB based on who the previous QB were. Tom Brady played very well, but he didn't grab the attention.

The point Hostile was, Greene was a four year starter, Brady was not.

Griese and Henson got much more attention playing at Michigan in overlapping times with Brady than he did.

There was obvious reasons how a Tom Brady could get overlooked, Greene is not being overlooked, he was a four year starter, and yet scouts don't think enough of him that he is a possible first rounder or even a likely second rounder.

I am not saying the guy can't make it, I'm saying hes not as good a prospect as the top four or five QB's in this draft.

Greene looks like a possible third rounder and likely fourth rounder to me at best.

When Richt left FSU there offensive suffered. So you're correct about him coaching and coaching at a very high level at FSU, Blue. All I said is that we know Richt from his time in S. Florida so I'm at least three quarters right!! JK

Hostile7 said:
Lefors is about 2-3 inches to short, doesn't have the expirence of Greene, and played in a much weaker confrence (David Greene is in the SEC).

SEC...Big deal....the national champs are on the west coast....Lefors is the same size as Brees....of course you'll tell me you wouldn't want Brees right?
Lefors was beating the Hurricanes....before he became injured...has Greene ever come close to beating a team like Miami? Lefors was the top rated passer last season....not Greene. I guess all the experts and GM's are wrong...and a few here are right...about Greene....it's a mistake he'll be a 4th or 5th round selection...since he's a great SEC QB.

BlueFin said:

Sorry, but I watched that competition. Aaron Rodgers threw the ball out of bounds on the distance throws, whereas David Greene threw it 65 yards right down the middle. Rodgers didn't blow him away on the distance throws.

KB21 said:
The same reason Tom Brady wasn't rated high by some, even though I had him as the #2 quarterback in the 2000 draft. i.

Wow...I didn't know you had Brady rated so high. I know the SEC is the real deal....Based on this thread I am seriously looking at Greene. Arm strenght is important...but the other unmeasurables are just as important. Perhaps he is the QB sleeper in the draft?!?

Back
Top Bottom