Davon Godchaux | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Davon Godchaux

I can totally see Grier giving him an extension. He fits the mold of his usual extensions. Mediocre talent compensated to an above average contract. e.g. Jakeem Grant, Jesse Davis, Bobby McCain.

Godchaux is not worth extending, specially after acquiring so many DT's the last 2 years. At 4 to 5 mil per year yes, at 8 to 10 mill per year please god no.
All extended under TBum.

Godchaux isn’t worth anywhere near this.
IDK. 8 mill would rank 50th in D-line salary, tied with Michael Brockers.

It sounds like a lot, and it is, but it's the going rate for solid interior players. Like it, or don't, it is what it is.

in the 3-3-5 we will likely be running, that starting DL rotation of Wilkins/Davis/Godchaux is going to be very rock solid in a couple years (or sooner).

It sounds like a lot, and it is, but it's the going rate for solid interior players. Like it, or don't, it is what it is.

$8mm doesn’t buy what it used to! I admit I haven’t kept up w market rates. It just feels so high to be a solid player. But, 50th? That seems fair.

Resign your talent don't go cheap before the final year of the contract and then be forced to overpay like we have done in the past.

He should bet on himself before he signs for $8 mil a year

I’m struggling with where miami would find the cap space for this unless they were to clear some

He should bet on himself before he signs for $8 mil a year

I’m struggling with where miami would find the cap space for this unless they were to clear some
They have the room for him .... I’m not sure his upside is much greater than that 8 mill #. He’s not a guy you have to double up and his production is average to slightly above

Exactly.

He's played for basically nothing (in NFL terms) so far.

If they are looking for a fair payday, reward him.

If they are looking to break the bank, bring in Wheeler-Dealer Grier and move him on out.
Agreed. Maybe Wilkins and the new guys outshine him but at the very least pay him and keep him as an ample backup/rotation player. Keep in mind the horrific injury bug we get every year...

They have the room for him .... I’m not sure his upside is much greater than that 8 mill #. He’s not a guy you have to double up and his production is average to slightly above

i suppose we'd have have the cap room for him now but he would get in the way for some other extensions down the road. i didnt research who needs to be extended in the next two or three seasons though.

I think you have to consider the fact that almost every player on that list in the top 50 is a 4-3/3-4 DE that adds pass rushing threat. Only like 5-6 of those guys are consistently lined up as interior D-linemen. And those 5-6 players are either on 1st round pick contracts, elite at their positions or guys whose contracts didn’t age well. Godchaux is a $5-6M per year guy and even then I think you could replace him in the draft next year fairly easy. That isn’t an insult to his game; 1 dimensional DTs simply are not in high demand in the modern NFL unless they are elite run stuffers.

4/28m with most of the guaranteed money in the first two years would be ok. If he won't sign for that, take the compensatory pick and move on.

Back
Top Bottom