Dawg Blogs: 5 Guys You should Expect to make Significant Leaps in 2017 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dawg Blogs: 5 Guys You should Expect to make Significant Leaps in 2017

There will be plenty of time to analyze just how much cap space we have in direct coorelation to who we should keep, who we should add and who we should cut. You'll be surprised just how little we have in comparison to others and what the demands are going to be with a rising cap.[/QUOTE]

100% Agree...

There will be plenty of time to analyze just how much cap space we have in direct coorelation to who we should keep, who we should add and who we should cut. You'll be surprised just how little we have in comparison to others and what the demands are going to be with a rising cap.
100% Agree...[/QUOTE] And you nailed it. It isn't all about cap space - that's half the equation. Supply is the other half. A team "one piece away" can spend excessively on that "one piece." A year when 8 teams need a speed receiver but only 3 hit FA is another example. Plus, after signing Jones/Landry/Stills/Branch (examples), that large cap space Miami may have is not so large. That's one reason I see 1-2 significant FA signings and the rest depth.

Awesome post, Dawg.

I'm concerned enough with Phillips that I would look for a run stuffer at DT either in the draft or free agency. If he takes off great, if not you've got another solution.

Also not sure if Grant makes the team next year. Too many others on the roster could take his role, specifically Drake.

Other than that, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think Parker has super star ability and no doubt Drake needs to get on the field more.

Parker is a shoe in, and Phillips has one more year to prove his worth.

The rest are icing on the cake should they emerge w/ the exception of Caroo who better blow the **** up and rectify the assets spent on him.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

I'm concerned enough with Phillips that I would look for a run stuffer at DT either in the draft or free agency. If he takes off great, if not you've got another solution.

Acquiring a "run stuffing DT" would be pointless without a tweak in our scheme.

Thing is with Carroo is that he's definitely here to replace someone in our top 3... You dont go out of your way and trade mulpiple picks for someone you intend to roster as your #4 receiver for the duration of his rookie deal. So who is he going to replace? Parker is on his rookie deal and is the one with the most upside in the bunch, so very unlikely, unless they trade him but that wouldnt make any sense as you're not getting even close to fair value on the trade market... Both Landry and Stills are going to cost alot of money to keep around, I could see Stills getting 10M and Landry in the 12-13M range....

I've got a question for the keep them all crowd. With the defense the way it is, what is your logic in spending your 1st round pick in a WR 2 years ago, spending multiple picks on a WR just last year, and then go out and shed out 2 contracts that amount to close to 25M per combined to 2 WRs this offseason?

I mean everything is possible, but It would make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Parker is a shoe in, and Phillips has one more year to prove his worth.

The rest are icing on the cake should they emerge w/ the exception of Caroo who better blow the **** up and rectify the assets spent on him.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Acquiring a "run stuffing DT" would be pointless without a tweak in our scheme.

Caroo won't be able to if Stills is back. He'll be buried on the depth chart. But that makes me wonder if the plan was to go with more empty sets and 5 wide. That would make use of all these WRs. Remember that Gase had to scrap his offense after it wasnt working with these players

Thing is with Carroo is that he's definitely here to replace someone in our top 3... You dont go out of your way and trade mulpiple picks for someone you intend to roster as your #4 receiver for the duration of his rookie deal. So who is he going to replace? Parker is on his rookie deal and is the one with the most upside in the bunch, so very unlikely, unless they trade him but that wouldnt make any sense as you're not getting even close to fair value on the trade market... Both Landry and Stills are going to cost alot of money to keep around, I could see Stills getting 10M and Landry in the 12-13M range....

I've got a question for the keep them all crowd. With the defense the way it is, what is your logic in spending your 1st round pick in a WR 2 years ago, spending multiple picks on a WR just last year, and then go out and shed out 2 contracts that amount to close to 25M per combined to 2 WRs this offseason?

I mean everything is possible, but It would make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Stills offers the speed that Caroo just can't. Idk what the plan was for Caroo. The most logical thing would be Parker or Landry IMO. But they will never let Landry go

Stills offers the speed that Caroo just can't. Idk what the plan was for Caroo. The most logical thing would be Parker or Landry IMO. But they will never let Landry go

So what you are saying is the most logical thing to do would be to let go one of Parker or Landry in order to keep Stills on the team?

How would you rank them skills wise and ceiling wise? Im curious...

It doesn't make sense, you are right. Which is why I hated the Carroo pick. But it's done, so there's not much to do about it now.

Personally, I want to keep Kenny Stills because he's proven to be very productive in Gase's system, he has really good chemistry with RT, he's young but has plenty of NFL experience, and he's a guy we invested a 3rd round pick in. But I understand we might not be able to keep him if the cost is too high.

I just don't know if Carroo will be able to be a productive WR for us, no matter how many picks we invested in him. Or if DVP will be able to stay healthy and finally produce like our #1 WR. Those are unknowns to me going into 2017, unknowns that I wish we didn't have considering there are so many unknowns already with the defensive side of the team.

So yeah, it makes no sense to invest so much on the WRs, but not knowing what we have in Carroo and not knowing if DVP will be productive for us next year is something that worries me a little. Maybe if we had a better pass catching TE I would feel better about letting Stills and his 9 TDs go. But right now we don't have that.

So what you are saying is the most logical thing to do would be to let go one of Parker or Landry in order to keep Stills on the team?

How do you rank them skills wise and ceiling wise? Im curious...

I value Stills maybe more then most on this board. He tracks the ball very well and always gets open deep. I don't think Caroo can do that he doesn't have the speed. The most comparable guy skillset wise is probably Landry. Both have been compared to Anquaun Boldin. That's my 2 cents. I don't think they will ever get rid of Landry though so idk what they were thinking

It doesn't make sense, you are right. Which is why I hated the Carroo pick. But it's done, so there's not much to do about it now.

Personally, I want to keep Kenny Stills because he's proven to be very productive in Gase's system, he has really good chemistry with RT, he's young but has plenty of NFL experience, and he's a guy we invested a 3rd round pick in. But I understand we might not be able to keep him if the cost is too high.

I just don't know if Carroo will be able to be a productive WR for us, no matter how many picks we invested in him. Or if DVP will be able to stay healthy and finally produce like our #1 WR. Those are unknowns to me going into 2017, unknowns that I wish we didn't have considering there are so many unknowns already with the defensive side of the team.

So yeah, it makes no sense to invest so much on the WRs, but not knowing what we have in Carroo and not knowing if DVP will be productive for us next year is something that worries me a little. Maybe if we had a better pass catching TE I would feel better about letting Stills and his 9 TDs go. But right now we don't have that.

Honestly I would like to keep Stills too, I mean if he really wants to stay here and takes 7.5 per, I'd certainly be somewhat satisfied... But the reality is your going to look at 10M+ for him, and thats a fairly harsh price tag for a backup plan in case the 2 WRs you've already invested in dont pan out... Some will call it being safe, I call it doubling down on your mistakes... Or actually having no confidence whatsoever in your previous decisions...

Last edited by a moderator:

I think Carroo could fill the role Parker has played and Parker could play a bigger role with more down the field targets. Parker isn't the speed deep threat that Stills is, but his size and leaping ability are enough to stretch opposing defenses. If Stills stays at a decent price fine, but if he leaves and you have to go with something like Parker, Carroo, Landry and either Miami's Stacy Coley or a late round addition like UNC's Mack Hollins you could still have a decent recieving corp. If that were the case I would still want to sign a cost sensible veteran wr, based on Parker's health issues and the youth of Carroo and a rookie. Also adding a te that can stretch defenses, such as David Njoku, would also help make up for the loss of Stills too.

For the record Parker has had 141 tarkets during his two season in the NFL, just a few more than the 131 Jarvis Landry had this season and much less the 165 targets Landry had in 2015. So if Parker could stay healthy enough to hit 130-140 targets per season his career numbers of 82 receptions 1238 yards, 15.1 yards per receptions and 7 td's could be what we would be looking at per season. That wouldn't be shabby at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom