Dch' S Top 25 Camp Observations From Tonight.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dch' S Top 25 Camp Observations From Tonight....

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hello To ALL.... I did have the opportunity to attend tonight's practice. The entire practice dealt with the RED ZONE offense...as the first and second team offenses/defenses battled it out.....as the team worked from first the 10 yard line....and then back to the 20 yard line....all this lasted for about half the practice.....with ONLY JAY FIEDLER and RAY LUCAS directing the show. The second end of the practice---was all 2 minute drill work....with the ball starting at midfield...and the frist and second teams alternating turns....trying to hurry up...get in as many plays as they can...with hope in ending up in the endzone. All said..... it was a very good...not a spectacular practice for the Dolphins. There was some good work tonight...and what I came away with tonight....were these top 25 observations:

1. I believe I counted JAY FIEDLER throwing 2 interceptions tonight.....but that was the only bad part. The good news I did see....was that JAY was throwing and moving around much bettter than everyone has seen as of late. He reacted quite well to the live pass rushes....and although he was not as accurate yet...as I thought he could be.....he did miss quite a few open recievers...particularly deep.....he was much more sure of himself...not "forcing" the ball out...and throwing the absolute horendous pass....the ones that we have seen as of late. As for the two interceptions....one of them literally came the way of BROCK MARION...that went off the hands of ORONDE GADSDEN...and like I said before....JAY had underthrown a wide-open Chris CHAMBERS on a long pass....which was intercepted by SURTAIN... My thoughts on FIEDLER....were that he did show some marked improvement in his confidence..his reads were there...and he moved around the ball I thought well. JAY is still having some trouble with accuracy....he is still not where the coaches would like him to be. JAY is making progress....he has many more practices to go before SATURDAY....he will have no excuses not to show us all something vs. the TEXANS.

2. SPECATCULAR THROW....FIEDLER TO RANDY McMICAHEL......this one went down the middle of the field....over ZACH THOMAS...and ARTURO FREEMAN...for about 40 yards...in the beginning of the two minute drill....a beauty...and it drew a huge applause from a packed crowd...over 1000 people who were there. Mcmichael was very active once again....cathching about 6 balls...working of course...with the first team.

3. RAY LUCAS.....looked very good as he continues to find a nice pace and rhythm in this offense. RAY was throwing the ball hard....and sometimes just too hard for anyone to catch. RAY fired a ball so hard to ROBERT EDWARDS...it only needed to travel about 1o feet and EDWARDS could have walked in for a score...but RAY panicked in the furious rush of the line....and the ball torpedoed off of EDWARDS hands. But that is correctable....and the main thing that LUCAS is doing nice in this offense...is that he is really moving the team when he is in there. RAY is moving this football team....much more in a more rhythmic pace than JAY is....and that is a major point....whether it be in practice...or in the games. Ray is so much better than last year at this time....there is no comparsion.

4. SPECTACULAR PLAY #2.....LUCAS TO ALBERT JOHNSON for a nice TD score...this one about 40 yards also.....A bullet pass that JOHNSON caught deep in the middle of traffic...not down the sideline....another huge ovation!

5. MENTAL MISTAKES.....were definately cut down. WANNY blew his whistle a couple of times for some disorganization....but what you did not see....was the obviuous idiotic errors....jumping off-sides...blatant things. There was a referee there on the sidelines...whose main and only job was to tell WANNY who was messing up.. thats how serious WANNY has these mental errors on his mind. It was better than I have recently seen...the play was not sloppy.

6. MARK DIXON.....I thought looked much better than anytime I have witnessed him...as far as him moving around.. No limps and no signs of pain...and I was really watching his battles with JASON TAYLOR. I would not say by any means...that DIXON dominated out there....he had problems containing JT out of the gate....but by far...and by far....the most important observation...was this: DIXON's performance today...was better than any of SMITH's and SPRIGGS performances against the defensive line...that I had seen in any previous practice. This move....really....is the best move for this football team...if DIXON's leg can hold up....he will be gaining confidence by the day.....he just needs time to stay in there...get healthier by the day as well. I liked what I saw....he will get the job done...no doubt there if he can stay healthy....this guy does not give up on any play....thats what i like....he has the tenacity it takes...plus the footwork that is needed over there.

7. Before I forget....there was a real good fight that broke out tonight: It was JED WEAVER vs. TOMMY HENDRICKS. They locked it up for about 15 seconds or so....it was a tangle up on a pass play intended for WEAVER that sparked it. Hendricks talked up the trash to WEAVER....and WEAVER threw the first punch. WANNY was in there to break it up and it really bothered nobody....as the fans really liked it...

8. ALBERT JOHNSON..... he dropped 1 easy ball.....but that TD really made that obsolete. JOHNSON is really making a push...as he looks terrific on returns...showing blazing speed to the seams. I hope that he makes the team....as the returner...and we also keep...this guy as well.....

9. ROBERT BAKER. BAKER caught a few tonight...but did not do anything spectacular. But BAKER is really being looked for by RAY LUCAS when he is in there..particularly deep. BAKER is running the same patterns as CHRIS CHAMBERS for the most part. This year.....BAKER deserves to be on this team. He is a better alternative to JEFF OGDEN...and he is the one having a better camp. I am hoping that someway both of the mentioned above....can make this football team...these guys are hungry.

10. LEON SEARCY/TODD PERRY.......the battle is severe...but PERRY is ahead and he is showing himself to be a muched impoved OL this camp. SEARCY was only working with the second team....and he let O-GUN in on one play that went for an easy sack. I would have never believed that PERRY would have beaten out SEARCY when SEARCY signed....but you have t0 give Perry credit for upping his game. I don;t think WANNY does any more changes....this is probably where SEARCY will be....backing up at Guard.

11. LEVCIK/KUSTOK and TODD WADE...... LEVCIK and KUSTOK...only were listening to the plays called in by NORV...tonight....completely inactive. The Dolphins may cut both these guys...if nobody really steps it up during the next two games. Both QB's....in there minds...are playing scared during the live games....and that is not good for either one of them. On TODD WADE.....just wanted to report that he was held out of tonights workout....he was riding the bike....I am not sure why...but it cant be serious.

12. ROBERT EDWARDS.....looked pretty good out there. He did score a short TD on a pass....which was a busted assignment...but more importantly....he ran around smoothly...with no setbacks.

13. LB JOSHUA SYMONETTE....broke up a beautiful play down the middle of the field...intended for DEDRIC WARD.....he seemingly came at the last minute..out of left field.. still a long-shot....but he is making things happen.

14. JUSTIN SEAVERNS.....was not that active today.....as TOMMY HENDRICKS was really given a lot of work tonight...backing up ZACH THOMAS.....not a good sign I thought....but SEAVERNS still can have a big game this SAT....to get noticed and more of a look.

15. SAM SIMMONS.....and not OMARE LOWE....I was wrong.. If had to pick now....which draft pick gets cut first.....it would be SIMMONS....not lOWE. SIMMONS has been a dissapointment...has done very little to get noticed....nothing I saw today changed that either.

16. FLETCHER.....that guy was ok tonight.....he did not give up any big yardage plays from where I sat. He is playing off the WR....maybe just a tad too much....and I saw MEL PHILLIPS inch him in....a few times...to play tighter. But if FLETCHER keeps the WR in front of the first down markers....that is all we ask.....and thats what I saw tonight....some short gains...nothing embarrasing.

17. DYER/ FEMI....... I did not see much of the FB"S catch much tonight.....I know KONRAD early caught a few balls....but right now.....I think its sill even....it could go either way....between FEMI and DYER. These drills today....did not feature the FB;s.....so it was hard to evaluate this battle. Its going to come down to the wire...on this one.

18. ALONZO MAYES......was not active out there at all.....as it really looks like WEAVER will all that is needed around here.....to backup RANDY McMicheal. I think ALONZO "LAST DAYS" MAYES.....that nickname will stick....and will be in the FINAL 50 TOP NICKNAMES.....which while I am here......I am currently working on it..... MAYES will go.

19. ADAWALE OGUNLEYE......the guy is really coming on...and is showing the coaches why he may need to be in there more. Another 2 sacks tonight....if he continues this sack streak into the next pre-season game....he may get more playing time than first expected.

20. ROB BURNETT....has not practiced...did not today....and the coaches really want him to start getting in there. He got off to a great start.....but he may be the one who may be handing off more of his time...to guys like O-GUN. BURNETT needs to get the game time rust off.

21. JAMES Mcknight/DEDRIC WARD.......WARD had the drops today....and not Mcknight. Mcknight is still ahead of WARD on the depth chart.....it could come down to the next two pre-seasons games for that third WR spot. LUCAS seems to have a comfort zone with WARD.... those guys really hook up much more than FIEDLER looks for WARD. It just seems that Mcknight works better with JAY....thats why the odds for Mcknight to stay at #3 are very good.

22. BRENT SMITH and MARCUS SPRIGGS......were backing up...alternating with the second teams at LT...with LUCAS. BIG SURPRISE to ME....was that with TODD WADE out on the bike....it was CORNELL GREEN...at RT with the first unit in these drills. This was a surprise....that neither one of those guys....were worked at RT..with the first team.

23. LINEBACKING PLAY....of GREENWOOD and ROGERS.....was very good tonight. I thought that they came up and read and stuffed outside running lanes....with RICKY in particular very well. And any short pass patterns that came to the outside...were handled at the point of reception. I thought that the outside backers were impressive.....they were in constant position to make plays.

24. I did not see CHESTER and BOWENS in there....just watching.....but JERMAINE HALEY and HENRY TAYLOR were in there....and it was important to note that TAYLOR was getting more time than GRANT in particular. The Dolphins are trying to trade GRANT.....the RAIDERS were interested but not anymore....DREW told me...as the RAIDERS signed ADAMS today. TAYLOR looks like he could make the final cut...

25. LEONARD HENRY.....really did not get much of a chance to do anything tonight.... neither did TRAVIS MINOR....the guy that got the most work was EDWARDS.....and I think WANNY came out of this satisfied with what he saw from him. If EdWARDS plays well this SAT.....he will really solidify a spot on this roster...as RICKY's main backup. I think the coaches want to sneak HENRY on the practice squad.....but they think he will be eventually taken. It really looks like its either going to be HENRY or EDWARDS making the final roster....not both. Like I said.....If EDWARDS can stay healthy, and practice.....he is going to make the final cut. The only other thinking is that if you are going to make TRAVIS MINOR available in a trade....to keep HENRY. Im not sure that happens either....but If MINOR does not return kicks....in favor of JOHNSON....or BAKER.....then I see MINORS role to this team....well MINOR. RICKY is not coming out of the game.....and then if he does....it looks like EDWARDS has some decent hands as well. Is there any way the Dolphins look at keeping HENRY over MINOR.......I just wanted to throw that out....or does he just go to the practice squad...and we take it that way? The RB position....the FB situation...as well as what to do about LEONARD HENRY.....is what the coaches debate about...probably every day.

Thats the 25.... DCH

DCH.....................

Thanks a million for the in depth analysis!!! I read and salivated on every word of it!!!!:band:

Good report DCH...The dolphins I think may keep Mayes..but at this point I think I rather keep Leonard and cut Mayes..That surprises me because I was a very big fan of Mayes...He's really disappointed me this TC..I agree we should keep Baker and Johnson...they feel they have a lot to prove..after the dolphins have kept them camp after camp..I think they could be special for us this year.. Sam Simmons will be cut, no doubt..just has not distinguish himself like McMicheal or chris did last year..again Leonard has..we can't try to get him though the cut and on to ps..he will be snatch up..He's our safety vail if Edwards reinjureds himself..16 game season is a long time\he's not proven yet, even though I like him...we would be taking a big if, if we don't give ourselves depth..and Leonard is definetly good depth..This kid is a keeper I telll you..there's something about him..For some reason I see Terrell Davis in him..If Ricky, Minor and Edwards got hurt . I would feel totally comfortable with him in the backfield. Back to Baker and Johnson..We would have to cut down on the number of DL and OL to keep them.. Whew that's a tough one because of the injuries and potential injuries to those positions, we don't want to be caught short there,,like last year..if we cut vets..another team will pick them up..I like the fact that there's a lot of tough calls this year, but I know we are going to be disappointed know matter which way the coaching staff go..

great, report DIRTYCASHHOLDIN thanks much :D

Wade tweaked his hamstring and that is why he was riding instead of blocking. I guess we are only keep Spriggs or Smith as the backup LT so why not give Cornell Green sometime at RT.

Not sure why we have not cut Mayes already so that he might get picked up elsewhere unless he still has a shot to make the team :nono: or there is some spite ag. him

Man do I hope we do not trade Minor - I have always liked the guy (until he fumbled ag. TB :evil: )

Love the Ward / Mcknight insight- agree that Jay is more used to McK, but Ward had an OJ-like effort last year in his brief appearances.

I just hope Dolphins end up keeping Henry some how...I would hate to lose him while he is in the waivers.Watch the guy have a chance to start with another team and have a good season(Like what happen with Tyrone Wheatley).:shakeno: :down: :angry: :nono:

I say we trade Ogden if possible (as many others have said),but I'd put AJ on the P-squad if we're not gonna keep him.(I don't mind if they do for returns) he would make it on P-squad I think.

Keep Henry as we need to look at more than just this year. I'm still worried about 4th DB anyone have any news about who it might end up being. Injuries can happen at that position and boom that 4th becomes our nickle and plays a ton.

But who does Denver have we can get with a trade of Grant or Odgen...then again Denver maybe interest in Grant..but our running backs..I doubt it..even with TD gone..They still have 4 solid rb's..they were deep there. They don't have a deep OL, so I doubt they'd give up someone from there..Plus I saw them play last night against SF and the the 2nd OL is avg..But their blocking scheme is great.

I think Henry could get easily hidden on the psquad in light of his performance against Tampa Bay. The starters will play well into the 3rd quarter against Houston, then Robert Edwards comes in for Ricky. The only way Henry sees time in that game is if Edwards gets injured and comes out...at which point its all moot cuz if Edwards comes out hobbling again I think the coaches won't really have any confidence in him whatsoever.

An interesting notion...trading Henry. I'd like to see Grant traded away...maybe to Baltimore, who was trying to re-sign Sam Adams...or maybe to Cincy who originally tried to get him. Seattle or Denver maybe. Who was the other dude we were considering trading?

You guys that are advocating all these trades need to realize this, the guys that we are talking about trading have very little or no value on the open trade market.

These are scrubs, backups, guys that are on the verge of being cut. Now, don't get me wrong, there are always those daimonds in the rough, that only need a chance to play, to prove their ability, but those are the exceptions.

If we could get a 7th round pick for Ogden, or Grant, I would be very surprised. Also, why would a team make a trade for a bubble guy, when they could just pick him up off the waiver wire, the following week?

Originally posted by scotgif
If we could get a 7th round pick for Ogden, or Grant, I would be very surprised. Also, why would a team make a trade for a bubble guy, when they could just pick him up off the waiver wire, the following week?
a team that needs a DT might send a conditional pick for Grant so as not to lose him to a worse team via the waiver wire, i.e. what we did w/D Gregory.

:topic:

One interesting note on Dixon
Dixon is now the league's second-smallest starter at the position behind another converted guard, San Francisco's Derek Deese (6-3, 289 pounds).

from http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...marvez20aug20.column?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Great Report!

From what's reported out there, I do not hear much about the running game in practices, ie. OL run blocking and R. Williams' running.

Back
Top Bottom