De Vonta Smith wins AP Player of the Year - Ramifications for Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

De Vonta Smith wins AP Player of the Year - Ramifications for Miami

Who here would be willing to move our next year's first in a package to get back in Smith range after we take Parsons top 5?

I feel with 8 picks in first 60 of past 2 drafts, we can afford to move next year's to get in range and draft our top ten offensive and defensive weapons.

To answer you're question, being a Heisman winner shouldn't have any impact on draft stock. Scouts watch players not awards. Depending on where you stand on drafting this kid that's either a good or bad thing

Chase is still my WR #1, sitting out the year has hurt his stock a little, folks have forgotten how dominant he was last year.

However I wouldn't be crying a bucket load of tears though if we decided to go with Smith or Waddle instead.

The most important thing though is getting the right fit for Tua, the offense and the other wideouts we have on the squad (no point in getting another receiver like Gesicki, Parker or Williams who wins at the catch point). Think what we desperately need went in last yesars draft, route runners that can win off the line, like Juedy and Jefferson.

I would love D. Smith, however would not pick him at 3. Best option is to trade down a few spots and grab him with additional picks.

Who here would be willing to move our next year's first in a package to get back in Smith range after we take Parsons top 5?

I feel with 8 picks in first 60 of past 2 drafts, we can afford to move next year's to get in range and draft our top ten offensive and defensive weapons.

You're fired.

You absolutely do not take him top 3. You trade back to the QB needy team, and you move back to 7 or 9. I think Detroit is in the market for a QB this draft. You then take that extra capital (likely an extra future 1st and a 3rd or something equivalent) and potentially make a move for your #2 LB or #2 OT I guess but if you're trading away 2022's 1st you're not Grier.

Isn’t chase the better prospect? He’s def heavier. Smith is 6’1 174 isn’t that really light?

Why do you think that matters in today’s NFL where contact is limited in order to protect players? Also, rules are in place to benefit offensive players.

Go check the size/weights of Marvin Harrison Sr., Desean Jackson, Isaac Bruce, TY Hilton, Tyreek Hill, Wes Welker, Jakeem Grant, Ted Ginn Jr, Steve Smith Sr, Cole Beasley, Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, etc, etc, etc.

In short: It. Does. Not. Matter.

Devonta Smith either can play or he can’t. His weight won’t preclude him, just the same as all those players listed above.

And it’s easier to be smallish today than when Clayton and Duper played.

Last edited:
Why do you think that matters in today’s NFL where contact is limited in order to protect players? Also, rules are in place to benefit offensive players.

Go check the size/weights of Marvin Harrison Sr., Desean Jackson, Isaac Bruce, TY Hilton, Tyreek Hill, Wes Welker, Jakeem Grant, Ted Ginn Jr, Steve Smith Sr, Cole Beasley, Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, etc, etc, etc.

Devonta Smith either can play or he can’t. His weight won’t preclude him, just the same as all those players listed above.

Some of those examples are questionable. Steve Smith was 185 but 5’9. Big difference. And are you really trying to use Jakeem grant as an example for nfl success? That’s too funny

I'm in agreement with you. But it's about build. For example T.Hill is built like a Tank! Same goes for S.Smith

He's similiar in frame to T.Ginn, M.Harrison, D.Jackson.

His potential is so high and how much he can help our offense makes him my first choice. Have to find trading partner to move no lower than 5-6th max and take him there.

There's no way you draft this kid #3 overall! None!

Now makes him favourite for the Heisman Trophy as the last 4 player of the year winners have and 17 of 22.
Even if he doesn't, I ask people with greater knowledge how will this affect his draft stock? Will he now go higher?
Many on there would love to draft him but is he worth a 3rd or 4th? Or will be still be there at our pick approx 20 give or take a few positions?
What sort of deals would you do to get him if you rate him?
He still needs a sandwich......damn that kid is skinny.

both Clayton and Duper were strong for the their respective size, hell Duper was built more like Barry Sanders than a WR.

Some of those examples are questionable. Steve Smith was 185 but 5’9. Big difference. And are you really trying to use Jakeem grant as an example for nfl success? That’s too funny

Is he an NFL player? Does he see the field??

The list wasn’t supposed to be a who’s who of pro bowlers. It was merely a list of NFL players off the top of my head that have had successful careers despite being small.

None of those examples are questionable. They are are legit. Smallish players. Some more successful than others, but all successful in making it in the league for numerous years. Most were pretty good.

And the list doesn’t stop there. A myriad more could be added.

Point was, size doesn’t matter.

I actually believe a great comp for Devonta Smith is Marvin Harrison — which is why he was the first name off the top of my head.

He had a pretty good career, don’t ya think?

Back
Top Bottom