December swoon? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

December swoon?

miami_mi

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Interesting that we don't talk about the December curse that's been haunting this team. Are we that bad, in that we aren't looking that far ahead and envisioning a playoff run in December. Do you guys/gals think that Saban can pace our team, so by the time December rolls around, we'll be peaking. Of course this thinking may not happen till next year, when our team is more comfortable with the new offense and defense.

I don't think we've been that bad lately in December/January.

miami_mi said:
Interesting that we don't talk about the December curse that's been haunting this team. Are we that bad, in that we aren't looking that far ahead and envisioning a playoff run in December. Do you guys/gals think that Saban can pace our team, so by the time December rolls around, we'll be peaking. Of course this thinking may not happen till next year, when our team is more comfortable with the new offense and defense.

The Dec. swoon was not mentioned because we never had a winning record...we were never 9-2...and than lost 5 games in a row...no dec. swoon because we had no shot last season.

Go Fins!!!

I guess the better question is how can Saban pace our team, so that by December we won't look tired. We seem to always start off hot, then cool off by December.

miami_mi said:
I guess the better question is how can Saban pace our team, so that by December we won't look tired. We seem to always start off hot, then cool off by December.

The reason we have started off hot and then hit a wall in December is because the DEFENSE was tired. Since JJ was here and through the Wanny years, this team relied too heavily on the defense. The defense would eventually get worn down. The offense was always the same: Boring and predictable. I think those days are over. The offense and defense will compliment eachother. The days of over reliance on the defense are over. We will stay fresher through the season.

I still believe this year at least we will rely heavily on the defense. I'm sure it will take the offense at least till mid-season to start hitting it's groove.

miami_mi said:

We need to keep our players fresh...our D-Line rotation will be nasty this season.

We have solid depth at the running back position...Brown, Gordon, Harris, Morris, Minor.

I feel like our O-Line is also much improved...I like our acquisitions...the main position I'm concerned about is center and left tackle...but our new O-Line coach is one of the best...he'll pay off.

We also got some young blood in there now...who have great passion for the game.

Go Fins!!!

A december swoon next to a year-long swoon isn't really news :)

I think another reason for our habitual December faltering was the mental state of the team. With Wanny and some of his ridiculous play calling, I'd be insane and ready to quit after 4 months too.

taylorj99 said:
I think another reason for our habitual December faltering was the mental state of the team. With Wanny and some of his ridiculous play calling, I'd be insane and ready to quit after 4 months too.

I remember when Wanny gave the ball to Lamar Smith 40 times during that playoff game. The poor guy had nothing left against Oakland, that was painful to watch. I think Lamar had like 12 yards against Oakland.

Our swoon started in September last year so we broke the streak.:lol:

phinfan2003 said:
I don't think we've been that bad lately in December/January.

Last year you were long out of it before December but 2 years ago you lost 2 in Dec to cost you a playoff spot, in '02 you lost your last 2 to miss a playoff spot, in '01 you lost 2 in Dec to cost you the division, in '00 you lost 2 of your last 3 but luckily the Jets lost 3 of the last 3 so you won the div, in '99 you lost 5 of your last 6, in '98 you lost 2 of your last 3, in '97 you blew the div by losing your last 2.

I'd say the tradition is alive and well w/ the exception of last year when you didn't have a chance to blow it since you were already out of it by Dec :D

Back
Top Bottom