DEDRIC WARD SHOULD BE THE THIRD WR....AND QUESTIONS FOR MUCK AND CO...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DEDRIC WARD SHOULD BE THE THIRD WR....AND QUESTIONS FOR MUCK AND CO......

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hello To ALL......... Here I am....its Sunday....I am off....and I wish I was up there in Disney. But Instead.....I am just checking here...seeing if MUCK and his fun bunch up there can put up some good reports. Some questions to be looked for with some insight....

1. Why is JAMAR FLETCHER not progesssing? It appears that the DOlphins will be looking elsewhere for a veteran Cb...possibly this week...if FLETCHER does not play well tomorrow.

2. OFFENSIVE LINE.....I heard MCKINNEY and NAILS were superb out there....but is it possible that MARK DIXON will not be a member of the starting offensive line? He is still sore..and struggling. BRENT SMITH still ahead at LT....NAILS at LG. I hope WANNY is not thinking of a rotation in the offensive line...aka...SEARCY/PERRY DIXON/NAILS DIXON/SMITH. Its not a good idea....see GOGAN/DONNELLY.

3. I see the coaches raving about DEDRIC WARD....and the inconsistency of JAMES McKnight. I would rather have the consistency, and the trust that WARD brings to the field...instead of wondering whether or not Mcknight is going to drop one that may cost us a game. I see WARD having good field presence....he knows how to get first downs...and he catches over the middle. The only thing that Mcknight has over WARD is the speed....but when you need a catch when its 4th and 2 or third and 2...I would feel better if DEDIRC WARD is in there. IMO...WARD would do the better job...he is the better all around reciever than Mcknight is. He would be my third Wr.

4. It appears that RANDY McMICHAEl is continuing his great play....and I see the coaches starting him on opening day. Now....is there a batttle going on now...between ALONZO MAYES...and JED WEAVER? I think so. I don't see any reason for the Dolphins to keep 3 Tes....inlcluding PERRY...there is no sense.

5. FB.... It looks like the coaches are really coming to the realization that DEON DYER is a smashmouth.,in your face player...you simply cannot cut this guy....particularly for an average, athletic FB like FEMI A. KONRAD is having a decent...but unspectacular camp....but you have to keep him....and you have to keep DYER. KONRAD and DYER should be rotating around... when the DOlphins are in short yardage situations....DYER has to be in there. With RICKY being in there...on all downs....I really think KONRAD will be a very limited player once again in this offense. I see KONRAD catching a few ball a game....but does anyone see him of being more than just your average FB in this offense? I don't see it. I see DYER's game...much more necessary for RICKY than anything else.....he should be his lead blocker....it probably won't matter....KONRAD will start.

6. THE RETURN GAME.......Is anybody stepping up? I heard that ROBERT BAKER does the spectacular and then.....he just drops balls...more than enough to throw your hands up in frustration. SAM SIMMONS has not been that impressive....he really hasn't. Albert JOHNSON is fast....but is so raw in all his routes, and reads. He is a project...that still needs work.
Unfortunately....right now.....TRAVIS MINOR is your kick returner and if the season started today....its none other than JEFF OGDEN back on punts. I wanted BAKER to finally earn a job on this team....but he still has to really impress...and show that consistency. We will see who steps up in the pre-season...

7. TIM LEVCIK or ZAC KUSTOK.... It appears that LEVCIK's rifle arm may be the difference maker. KUSTOK is more athletic...but I think the coaches will go with LEVCIK when its all said and done. I hope one of these guys seperate themselves in the next two pre-season games....to make it easier.

RB.....LEONARD HENRY has made this team. Now....the Dolphins don't want him on the practice squad...fearing that another team will snag him. That leaves MINOR and if EDWARDS can remain on the field....he makes it too. It appears the Dolphins are keeping 6 backs...on the roster....with the two fullbacks.

DL/DE...... I would like to hear the battles that MUCK will be reporting on concerning the defensive line competition. I really have no preference.....WILLIAMS or BURNETT.....BOWENS or O-GUn. Its just a fantastic situation....this could be the deepest Defensive line setup in Dolphin History...as far as who starts and who comes in....I don't see it as anything to worry about. I think we are in great shape with a healthier JERMAINE HALEY now...to back up both BOWENS/CHESTER. I think the weakest link is ERNEST GRANT.....can anyone supplant him, MUCK and Co?

LB.... I have not heard as much as I would like about the play of MERLON GREENWOOD...I have heard more about his singing...than his playing. What about ROGERS.....his head is there....how about his play? ZACH looks stronger.....and TOMMY HENDRICKS is the backup? Is that a concern?
I don;t think SEAVERNS is going to make the team.....he is struggling in the running game...and that is the downfall of this rather interesting rookie. He needs to get bigger also. How is Scott GALYON looking? Can he make it through a season? I would like a report on the LB's work in these practices...

FLETCHER is now a major question mark....he will be on my radar screen when I do my TOP 40 Game Observations tommorrow night....after the game. I have heard that JAY will start...about 15 plays.....and that KUSTOK will take it most of the way...if not all. I hope to see a lot of EDWARDS...if he can go....and mostly we will really see a lot of LEONARD HENRY. We will see who sticks out....and who falls out......Lets take a look at that offensive line...and who is getting it done. Lets pay attention to the Dolphins possibly exhibiting more of an 8 man in the box style tommorrow as well.

Alright....take care.

DCH

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN
Hello To ALL......... Here I am....its Sunday....I am off....and I wish I was up there in Disney. But Instead.....I am just checking here...seeing if MUCK and his fun bunch up there can put up some good reports. Some questions to be looked for with some insight....

1. Why is JAMAR FLETCHER not progesssing? It appears that the DOlphins will be looking elsewhere for a veteran Cb...possibly this week...if FLETCHER does not play well tomorrow.

2. OFFENSIVE LINE.....I heard MCKINNEY and NAILS were superb out there....but is it possible that MARK DIXON will not be a member of the starting offensive line? He is still sore..and struggling. BRENT SMITH still ahead at LT....NAILS at LG. I hope WANNY is not thinking of a rotation in the offensive line...aka...SEARCY/PERRY DIXON/NAILS DIXON/SMITH. Its not a good idea....see GOGAN/DONNELLY.

3. I see the coaches raving about DEDRIC WARD....and the inconsistency of JAMES McKnight. I would rather have the consistency, and the trust that WARD brings to the field...instead of wondering whether or not Mcknight is going to drop one that may cost us a game. I see WARD having good field presence....he knows how to get first downs...and he catches over the middle. The only thing that Mcknight has over WARD is the speed....but when you need a catch when its 4th and 2 or third and 2...I would feel better if DEDIRC WARD is in there. IMO...WARD would do the better job...he is the better all around reciever than Mcknight is. He would be my third Wr.

4. It appears that RANDY McMICHAEl is continuing his great play....and I see the coaches starting him on opening day. Now....is there a batttle going on now...between ALONZO MAYES...and JED WEAVER? I think so. I don't see any reason for the Dolphins to keep 3 Tes....inlcluding PERRY...there is no sense.

5. FB.... It looks like the coaches are really coming to the realization that DEON DYER is a smashmouth.,in your face player...you simply cannot cut this guy....particularly for an average, athletic FB like FEMI A. KONRAD is having a decent...but unspectacular camp....but you have to keep him....and you have to keep DYER. KONRAD and DYER should be rotating around... when the DOlphins are in short yardage situations....DYER has to be in there. With RICKY being in there...on all downs....I really think KONRAD will be a very limited player once again in this offense. I see KONRAD catching a few ball a game....but does anyone see him of being more than just your average FB in this offense? I don't see it. I see DYER's game...much more necessary for RICKY than anything else.....he should be his lead blocker....it probably won't matter....KONRAD will start.

6. THE RETURN GAME.......Is anybody stepping up? I heard that ROBERT BAKER does the spectacular and then.....he just drops balls...more than enough to throw your hands up in frustration. SAM SIMMONS has not been that impressive....he really hasn't. Albert JOHNSON is fast....but is so raw in all his routes, and reads. He is a project...that still needs work.
Unfortunately....right now.....TRAVIS MINOR is your kick returner and if the season started today....its none other than JEFF OGDEN back on punts. I wanted BAKER to finally earn a job on this team....but he still has to really impress...and show that consistency. We will see who steps up in the pre-season...

7. TIM LEVCIK or ZAC KUSTOK.... It appears that LEVCIK's rifle arm may be the difference maker. KUSTOK is more athletic...but I think the coaches will go with LEVCIK when its all said and done. I hope one of these guys seperate themselves in the next two pre-season games....to make it easier.

RB.....LEONARD HENRY has made this team. Now....the Dolphins don't want him on the practice squad...fearing that another team will snag him. That leaves MINOR and if EDWARDS can remain on the field....he makes it too. It appears the Dolphins are keeping 6 backs...on the roster....with the two fullbacks.

DL/DE...... I would like to hear the battles that MUCK will be reporting on concerning the defensive line competition. I really have no preference.....WILLIAMS or BURNETT.....BOWENS or O-GUn. Its just a fantastic situation....this could be the deepest Defensive line setup in Dolphin History...as far as who starts and who comes in....I don't see it as anything to worry about. I think we are in great shape with a healthier JERMAINE HALEY now...to back up both BOWENS/CHESTER. I think the weakest link is ERNEST GRANT.....can anyone supplant him, MUCK and Co?

LB.... I have not heard as much as I would like about the play of MERLON GREENWOOD...I have heard more about his singing...than his playing. What about ROGERS.....his head is there....how about his play? ZACH looks stronger.....and TOMMY HENDRICKS is the backup? Is that a concern?
I don;t think SEAVERNS is going to make the team.....he is struggling in the running game...and that is the downfall of this rather interesting rookie. He needs to get bigger also. How is Scott GALYON looking? Can he make it through a season? I would like a report on the LB's work in these practices...

FLETCHER is now a major question mark....he will be on my radar screen when I do my TOP 40 Game Observations tommorrow night....after the game. I have heard that JAY will start...about 15 plays.....and that KUSTOK will take it most of the way...if not all. I hope to see a lot of EDWARDS...if he can go....and mostly we will really see a lot of LEONARD HENRY. We will see who sticks out....and who falls out......Lets take a look at that offensive line...and who is getting it done. Lets pay attention to the Dolphins possibly exhibiting more of an 8 man in the box style tommorrow as well.

Alright....take care.

DCH

DCH-

Great takes! I myself will be taking notes on our O-line tomorrow nite. We shall see who is really progressing and who isn't. I think in the end, that Tim Levcik will be our 3rd string QB. He's definitely a keeper and a QB that can be worked with could be developed into something more.........:eat:

i agree with you, dch, WARD should be the #3 WR...MCKNIGHT may have more speed but its minimal...WARD still runs a 4.4...i think we need to bring in another cb and lb...even if FLETCHER does well, we need more depth...and at lb, i am really uneasy with this group after the starters...i really hope MCMICHAEL is our starting te...he could be a weapon...i also think the ol will play itself out...will dixon be moved to lt??? our dl will be fine without gardener...

McKnight has size too ..thats a plus but damn someone put some stick-um on my boys hands!..lol I believe we may see a guy named henry taylor #98 he could be a valuable asset from what i saw of him in the scrimmage he looked great! As for sevrens...I thought he looked pretty good in there ..he made a few stops at the line so i didnt see him struggling with the run ? he has good speed and could make himself known on sp teams unit ? I would be happy with running backs williams and minor with deon and konrad as full backs .. forget robert edwards and his bad knees and forget femi too ..unless you get rid of conrad then keep femi I would go for that ... Seriously though I am not making any judgements till i see a real (sic) preseason game at least ! We would all be jumping the gunn to make any desicesions before the first 2 preseason games are played ...after that I would tell you who i wanted for 1st and 2nd string ...by the way maybe we trade a d-lineman for db help?We seem to be deep there and if fletcher is not ready what about omar lowe and ray green ?

I heard Fletch was doing allright. everyone is jumping too far up his britches i think. there are alot of guys who arent even playing cus they dont want to play them. there saving everything for two of the preseason games. my prediction is that we game plan for this one aginst a good defense and offense and bread and butter against new orleans with the short week. then last preseason game we show more. i wouldnt read too much into what youve seen so far except for the O and D lines which is what wanny is looking for right now. tmmorrow night we should get a true reading on where we are at. but even then if fletchers guy beats him underneath, its not the end of the world. becuase we dont want to give up the big play first. if he gets beat deep badly then i start to worry, but everyone gets beat, even madison and surtain. i have tapes to prove it. i just want to see fletch get more work and hold his ground and not screw up cus he will get mismatches all the time. he just has to play good. it will all come later. but this talk fo finding another cb is redicualous. it is the hardest position on the field. especially nickel cus of mismatches and PT.

I'm in the camp of "let's see if he can pick it up" in the remaining weeks before the season. Be certain, though, if he can't pick it up, teams are going to want to match everyone on him as no one will try throwing against Sam or Pat when there's easy pickins' with Fletch. It would be like a nightmare with such a fine defense, all the way around, to have it screwed by a NB that can't cut the mustard. I would hope Spiel is looking around for an experienced corner out there IF the coaches are privately doubting whether the guy will be able to pick up his play. I don't doubt the guy is talented, but it's as much, if not more, a mental thing and he's presently struggling with understanding what's going on.

Am I the only one that saw enough in the scrimage to say Kustok does not have what it take to even be a 3rd string QB? His 2 helium balls he thre against Tenn(1 that was picked) showed me that he will never have the arm strength to make it. Levcik is obviously very raw, and by no means anywhere near ready to be a 2nd string guy, but he has the right tools to atleast try to mold. Kustok would just be a waste of time.

Originally posted by Dajesus
Am I the only one that saw enough in the scrimage to say Kustok does not have what it take to even be a 3rd string QB? His 2 helium balls he thre against Tenn(1 that was picked) showed me that he will never have the arm strength to make it. Levcik is obviously very raw, and by no means anywhere near ready to be a 2nd string guy, but he has the right tools to atleast try to mold. Kustok would just be a waste of time.

I agree... I like the "diamond in the rough" look of Levick... I know it may be a pipe-dream, but wouldn't it be nice for Dan to come in and give the kid a little guidance?

Henry Taylor is giving Ernest Grant all kinds of competition. For the life of me, I wish I could remember who exactly teamed up with Haley and replaced Timbo and Larry with the first team in full-scale drills (I was so sure at the time that I neglected to write it down). But they did a pretty good job. Wally O also looked good yesterday. Did I mention that he also knocked down a Rob Johnson pass with two hands from RE?? He was very active yesterday. Wally looked much better than he did last year vs. the Bucs. I think it's gonna be hard not to keep 5 DEs.

I also think, at this point, that Seaverns is the odd man out. Hendricks is doing a good job in the middle. He looked confident out there and looked improved in coverage. Russell is going unchallenged at SLB. And with the way Galyon played down the stretch last year, Seaverns is going to have to come on strong. Also, I have yet to see Seaverns working anywhere except MLB. And he's running 3rd team there.

I agree with 54. Tomorrow will be the first time we can start putting stock in anything. It's the first true GAME SITUATION.

I wouldn't worry too much about giving up passes underneath. That's what Gruden's passing offense is all about: crossing routes and RBs in the flats.

I do seem to remember Surtain struggling very badly when he first started being our nickel. Then he became great at it...then struggled as a starter for a year and became great at it too.

My point is, we have a very tough scheme for a DB to master. Fletch is working hard and learning from his mistakes.

With that said, we have no experienced DB's in case our young guy fails. It would be a tough thing to have a rookie and 2 second year players as our backup DB's. We'd be just like with Jerry Wilson in that every team would just line up 3 WR's and beat him all day.

Ward should undoubtedly be our #3 until someone beats him out. He has played the best and shown the best hands so why would he not be it? Because someone else is faster? If speed was all it took to play NFL we'd be signing up track teams.

McKnight is a little bigger, but Ward uses his body better to shield man, making him play bigger. He is almost as fast...really last year in camp McKnight ran a 4.33 and Ward ran a 4.37. (Chambers ran a 4.40) I'd say with the hands and routes Ward runs being far superior to McKnight how could he beat him unless his hands do in fact improve markedly?

Originally posted by Phinstd
I do seem to remember Surtain struggling very badly when he first started being our nickel. Then he became great at it...then struggled as a starter for a year and became great at it too.

I don't recall that. I do recall hearing a snippet from camp notes very early on about Surtain getting beat, a time or two, but beyond that, I remember hearing camp notes, over and over, reporting Pat making fantastic plays, over and over. He appeared fully competent at nickel by the opener; the start of his second year (he took over as a starter from Buckley around game 10 or 11 of his second year). Again, though, there are several weeks for him to learn to fit his awesome talent into the working scheme.

My point is, we have a very tough scheme for a DB to master. Fletch is working hard and learning from his mistakes.

With that said, we have no experienced DB's in case our young guy fails. It would be a tough thing to have a rookie and 2 second year players as our backup DB's. We'd be just like with Jerry Wilson in that every team would just line up 3 WR's and beat him all day.

That is the concern: an all around great D with a Jerry Wilson lined up at corner. "All the underneath stuff" which I keep seeing brushed off as not something to worry about, IS something to be concerned about. In a tight 3rd and 7 or 8, someone will pick on that all day long if its there. He better step up or we're phuqqed.

Well hear all you want JJ even said he as struggling as a nickle at first. The stated he needed to pick it up as a 2nd year player when he took over for Buckley late.

BTW, I'm talking about the games, not preseason or hearsay.

Surtain did struggle for much of both his first two years in each step he took.

Ya I remember Surtain struggling as well. People on certain message boards were even cursing on JJ for "wasting" a first round pick on the guy......soujnds familiar eh?? hehe

Back
Top Bottom