Deep ball attempts to WRs? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Deep ball attempts to WRs?

No - we made little attempt to stretch the field. Very disappointed even more since I was in attendance at FedEX. Really felt a couple deep balls would have been a good idea to get RT on track. Also seemed like coverage should have been tested. I think our wideouts could have beat the skins deep from what I saw.

We have no real WRs that can stretch the field. Stills is the only one that comes even close, but he's not starting. Got beat out by Matthews, a 4.6 WR.

This is going to be a problem going forward. As well as the LB play, run D (Mitchell, Wake and OV will always be liabilities in run D -- add in horrible LB play and inability to cover quick hitting passes, and wow -- sad.), and CB play. Two picks, but low-level play throughout, and Taylor isn't an NFL shutdown corner and never will be.

Safety is also a huge issue. Jones is the only real safety out there. Aikens a liability. Missing Delmas already.

I'm glad for the win, but I see huge problems going forward. TE, with Sims out -- big issue.

Add in the complete inability to have physicality in the run game with poor run blocking -- wow. Miami is soft, yet again, in the run game. Other teams have backs that bounce off tackles and drag people for yards downfield -- which happened over and over again to Miami LBs and DBs this game. But Miami has soft backs that go down with first tackle most of the time. Huge problem. The best teams can impose their will in the run game when needed. Miami has ZERO backs to do this, and never the blocking, either -- at least not in the last how many years?

LD

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay for anyone that watched the game, their time of possession and running game put our defense of the field a long time. We had a 3 and out the first possession. A lot of our play calling was dictated by trying to sustain drives and give the D some much needed rest. Tanne did miss 2 passes. The one to Sims was pretty freaking bad as he was wide open and he didn't need to float the ball like he did. The one to Stills should have been better but Stills should have also given him a little more room on the boundary. Tanne was running right and his throw sailed just right. It was not nearly as off as the Sims pass. On the flip side, Tanne made the plays he needed to make to win the game at the end. After watching some supposed elite QBs this week miss much easier and many more throws than Tanne did today, I am not overly concerned. I hope Sims is okay though!

I didn't see the game, just the highlights. It looks like our longest play was the 27 yd pass to Jordan Cameron.

I'm just wondering if we attempted any deep ball throws (30+ yds) to our WRs, esp Kenny Stills. TIA.
Oh darn...our longest play was more than one quarter of the entire firewood l field...

Everyone here needs to stop finding things to bitch about.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It is just game 1 to remember guys!!! glad we got the win, wasnt pretty..... i wouldnt be to worried over deep balls right now. lets move on for week 2 and see how we can improve!!!

but yeah there wasnt many deep balls thrown at all, but he was pretty spot on for the most part with his throws. The one deep ball to Cameron Jordan was a GREAT catch too!!! one i remember him definitely missing was to the corner of the endzone where he laid it out there too far and away from Dion Sims... but Tannehill was rolling to his left and wasnt fully set on the throw.. .something to work on there.

We have no real WRs that can stretch the field. Stills is the only one that comes even close, but he's not starting. Got beat out by Matthews, a 4.6 WR.

This is going to be a problem going forward. As well as the LB play, run D (Mitchell, Wake and OV will always be liabilities in run D -- add in horrible LB play and inability to cover quick hitting passes, and wow -- sad.), and CB play. Two picks, but low-level play throughout, and Taylor isn't an NFL shutdown corner and never will be.

Safety is also a huge issue. Jones is the only real safety out there. Aikens a liability. Missing Delmas already.

I'm glad for the win, but I see huge problems going forward. TE, with Sims out -- big issue.

Add in the complete inability to have physicality in the run game with poor run blocking -- wow. Miami is soft, yet again, in the run game. Other teams have backs that bounce off tackles and drag people for yards downfield -- which happened over and over again to Miami LBs and DBs this game. But Miami has soft backs that go down with first tackle most of the time. Huge problem. The best teams can impose their will in the run game when needed. Miami has ZERO backs to do this, and never the blocking, either -- at least not in the last how many years?

LD

Soft post! Yet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay for anyone that watched the game, their time of possession and running game put our defense of the field a long time. We had a 3 and out the first possession. A lot of our play calling was dictated by trying to sustain drives and give the D some much needed rest. Tanne did miss 2 passes. The one to Sims was pretty freaking bad as he was wide open and he didn't need to float the ball like he did. The one to Stills should have been better but Stills should have also given him a little more room on the boundary. Tanne was running right and his throw sailed just right. It was not nearly as off as the Sims pass. On the flip side, Tanne made the plays he needed to make to win the game at the end. After watching some supposed elite QBs this week miss much easier and many more throws than Tanne did today, I am not overly concerned. I hope Sims is okay though!

Great post! I am glad at least one person understands complementary football concepts.

LD

I knew this is going to happen. But I didn't expect it to happen after game 1.

To be honest after I heard all offseason how bad Hardline, Gibson, Wallace and Co were and how great we are now at the WR spot there are no more excuses like 'it's on the WRs' or 'we do not have the right WRs'. This train is now gone. Sorry.

It's hard to throw down field when you are faking/running Jet Sweeps and WR screens most of the day. If one of our WRs get a 30 yard gain, he ran 33 yards to get it. Meanwhile, we have this monster in the middle of the field named Cameron. One day, we may attempt to throw his way more often in an attempt to gain yards. Lazor made some bonehead calls yesterday. Out thinking himself. He got too cute in the first half.

Going into halftime, reporter asked Joe what we did so differently on our scoring drive to close out the half, "we ran our 2 minute offense".

Okay, give me that all game Joe. Attack, attack, attack. Put the defense on it's heels and stop letting it roam around in the backfield tackling us for short gains.

On a side note, I can tell Lamar Miller could have a big year.... if we stuck with the run.

If we attacked downfield with the pass and ran consistently... we would be dangerous. It's like we try to get too cute when all we need to do is line up, tell the D what we are about to do and then do it anyway. We have unrealized potential; tons of it.

you guys whine more than children, Washington had a team out there also, you all want them to throw deep to satisfy what? there is no rule about a team has to throw deep, just win the game, and to think some of you pros have been on this site for years. THE ONLY THING THAT MATTER IS DID THEY WIN THE GAME WITH THE GAME PLAN THEY INSTALLED, and the answer is "YES".

you guys whine more than children, Washington had a team out there also, you all want them to throw deep to satisfy what? there is no rule about a team has to throw deep, just win the game, and to think some of you pros have been on this site for years. THE ONLY THING THAT MATTER IS DID THEY WIN THE GAME WITH THE GAME PLAN THEY INSTALLED, and the answer is "YES".

Attempting the deep ball changes the coverage and the mindset/reactions of the 2ndary. They knew we were going to throw somewhere downfield (about .1 to 10 yards) and played that. When we went deeper seemed like we nearly always had success. RT did not have a good game. Lazor meh. Hope next week is better.

You expect to see a couple passes aired out a game. I saw neither side really do it. I get that Cousins didn't especially since Jackson went down. I dont get RT because we heard a lot about the deep ball progress with this new corps. Maybe I should believe my wife - she says the O was holding back the good stuff for next week and after - ha ha.

I also say this, having been at the game and being able to see first hand - we have no energy on the sideline. No evidence of will and I put that on JP. This was the first JP live game I have seen. You can't even find the guy when you look at the sidelines . Invisible and conveys 0 leadership. Yea I knew that from TV but seeing is believing. Go ahead and flame me.

I too was excited to hear the reports that his long ball accuracy improved in the off season/training camp but where is it??? Anyone seen evidence of it?

Sims laid out and knocked himself out trying for one of Tannehill's "long" (read: poorly thrown) passes......same thing with the pass to Stills which should/would have been a TD if thrown by one of the NFL's above average QB's.

I get it.....every QB, even the top level ones throw bad passes or miss on long balls at times....but Tannehill CONSISTENTLY throws inaccurate long ball passes and at this point it seems this defect is here to stay.

Tannehill has shown a terrible non-ability to connect on the long ball but people keep defending him. Last year one of the big excuses made by Tannehill defenders was Mike Wallace not trying hard enough or not "giving Tannehill a chance"........what will be the big excuse this year??....need to find another whipping boy (anyone other than RT) I guess. Pretty soon the excuses will run out and those with rose colored glasses will be forced to take them off and see the harsh glare.

Rant over.....I will now don my fire re tar dant (had to space word to it would be accepted...really?) suit....FLAME AWAY.

Oc has to call a better game...point blank

But what i do see is a lack of respect for vertical speed from the opposition...they are sitting on the sticks...that could be a problem for us...the pitch and catch 8 to 12 yard boundary stop routes for easy yards are history

Back
Top Bottom