Deep ball attempts to WRs? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Deep ball attempts to WRs?

normaldude

Starter
Reaction score
I didn't see the game, just the highlights. It looks like our longest play was the 27 yd pass to Jordan Cameron.

I'm just wondering if we attempted any deep ball throws (30+ yds) to our WRs, esp Kenny Stills. TIA.

No, no attempts deep. Cameron did have 2 catches about 25 yards deep

Was the total miss of Sims for a TD longer than 30? I think there was another long miss to Landry...not sure how long there. He did have a very nice long completion to Cameron, thanks to a great diving catch.

He threw a couple of deep outs while moving that were badly overthrown. He did fire a couple deep to Jordan Cameron that connected.

Thanks. A bit disappointing. This training camp, the beat writers really got my hopes up, talking about how Tannehill was connecting on more deep balls than the past 3 training camps combined. Hopefully, a fully healthy DeVante Parker will help stretch the field a bit.

He threw two 'vertical' deep balls to Cameron that were both caught for big gains. The throws to Sims and Stills are plays he usually makes. He just straight up missed those two throws.

He threw two 'vertical' deep balls to Cameron that were both caught for big gains. The throws to Sims and Stills are plays he usually makes. He just straight up missed those two throws.

I guess on the positive side, it's clear that Jordan Cameron is still a real weapon. He had a very quiet preseason.

No - we made little attempt to stretch the field. Very disappointed even more since I was in attendance at FedEX. Really felt a couple deep balls would have been a good idea to get RT on track. Also seemed like coverage should have been tested. I think our wideouts could have beat the skins deep from what I saw.

I would actually not be upset about this. The problem I see in the NFL with how team's approach QBs is that they don't tailor the offense to the QB's skill set. Case in point, RG3. Now with RT, there's enough tape to know that he just doesn't possess that skill. Instead of forcing the issue they've tailored their offense around WR with RAC skills like Landry and Parker. RT cannot break down defenses. He can only go to his initial read so having a short passing game with quick passes to shifty WR and TE up the seam plays to his skill set. Is it good enough to win a SB? Of course not. But there's enough talent around him that can at least get you to the playoffs. You'll see by Mike Wallace's numbers this season how impressive a deep threat he is because he finally has a QB that can deliver him the ball deep (no..Ben as much as I love him, does not have more than an average deep ball as it sails and flutters oftentimes). I only brought up Wallace to demonstrate that they made the right call getting rid of him and that his production for Vikings would show that

I would actually not be upset about this. The problem I see in the NFL with how team's approach QBs is that they don't tailor the offense to the QB's skill set. Case in point, RG3. Now with RT, there's enough tape to know that he just doesn't possess that skill. Instead of forcing the issue they've tailored their offense around WR with RAC skills like Landry and Parker. RT cannot break down defenses. He can only go to his initial read so having a short passing game with quick passes to shifty WR and TE up the seam plays to his skill set. Is it good enough to win a SB? Of course not. But there's enough talent around him that can at least get you to the playoffs. You'll see by Mike Wallace's numbers this season how impressive a deep threat he is because he finally has a QB that can deliver him the ball deep (no..Ben as much as I love him, does not have more than an average deep ball as it sails and flutters oftentimes). I only brought up Wallace to demonstrate that they made the right call getting rid of him and that his production for Vikings would show that

Shouldn't you be more worried about why the Steelers thought it was a good idea to leave Gronk uncovered so often?

Didn't challenge deep very often. There are so many damn weapons on the field on offense. That we don't have an attacking offense which better utilizes that talent is a real shame and seems to limit what we're capable of.

Back
Top Bottom