Defence | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defence

t2thejz

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Defense

This is the first time our D is gonna have the attitude it needs. Its always been good but never had enough meaness and attituede. Now with J.Seau, the players will feed off him. Z.Thomas ecspecialy. If we bring Knight in, we will have even more intensity and leadership. I think our D finally has the prescence to be great. Its always been in the top 5 but for some reason i dont think it has been great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about the attitude on defense but I'm afraid some of the let downs last year were due to coaching philosophy. Bates/Wannstedt seem to willing to get a lead then play the dreaded prevent defense. We need to have that killer instinct for and from the players and coaches.

I hope this comes out alright. I'm new here - this is my first post.

From the great (independent minded) state of South Carolina!!!

The letdowns are because of lack of concentration by the players, not the scheme we use. We actually did a fair amount of blitzing this year, but many of our players did not execute the play (i.e. wrap up, cover your man, etc) which resulted in our losses.

People always say Bates sucks, and, while he doesn't get the press of a Monte Kiffin (overrated), a Jim Johnson (very good dc), or a Marvin Lewis (overrated), he is a good dc, and our defense works with our personnel, as long as guys don't have mental lapses.

The Jim Bates argument is similar, IMO, to those always crying for a name wr, or saying that we have to pass more. Always looking for form over function (eg pass vs run, blitz vs 4 man rush). I firmly believe that as long as we stay healthy, we play the most effective football in the nation, and a Superbowl is within our grasp.

Sorry for the ramble.

Well, I've always been a strong critic of Bates. Both good and bad.

Example:
Look at how our defense played against the Raiders last season. I mean our D went after them every damn down of the game. The first play of the game, Gannon was almost sacked by JT. Then the very next two down he IS sacked by JT.

But then look at the last game of the Pats how we played back to 'prevent' the big play. Hell, the short out's is what the Pats do. Thats how they beat the Rams the year before. And we played off. Thats what killed us IMO.

We didn't really do anything different between the two games. Note that it was a four man rush that got Taylor in on Gannon. Then note that the four man rush could not against the Pats (Jason was being triple teamed though. That's where Ogun had to step up). Our system works well (and it had all Pats game until then too) in all situations, and pregame adaptations have been good for us.

What should Bates have done differently in the last 5 min of the pats game? If our Lbs could adequately cover the rb, we would have been in the playoffs. If our punter can kick a straight punt, we would have been in the playoffs. If our placekicker could kick the ball inbounds in OT, we would have been in the playoffs. If the ball had bounced with its momentum instead of backwards to the 3yard line, we would have been in the playoffs.

Nothing Bates could have done would have worked when a select # of players royally choked in the last 5 minutes of a pivotal game.

Back
Top Bottom