Defense and running game win titles? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defense and running game win titles?

finresurrection said:
Seems a lot of folks believe in this theory. Sounds legit but think back 2 years. We had a top "D". We had Ricky running for 1,800. where's the championship?

Seems to me there was one thing missing in this theory: Defenses that SCORE and a running game win championships. as evidenced by Baltimore.

Our "D" has been solid for years but we never seem to take the turnovers to the house.

It is my opinion that if at all possible trade down. Yes I know everyone is clamoring for that to happen so we can grab a top 3 RB still and gather extra picks. I would rather see us grab LB Merriman or LB Johnson early rd 1 and S Thomas Davis late rd 1 (based on trades). DEFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS.

grab an RB in 2 or 3 (Fason, Morency, Shelton, Arrington), QB in 2 or 3 (Campbell, Greene, McPherson), then depth in the later rds.

We have a good nucleus that just needs some explosiveness on "D". The guys are out there. let's go get them.

I'm sorry, I can't agree that our D has been solid for years..that is not true. Our D has let down numerous times, especially last year. Yes, it is a good D, better than most, but it breaks more than just bending...The coaching has been our downfall....playing O to not lose, rather than to win the game. It has taken me some time to come to this realization. I do agree with you that we need a more agressive D and a solid running game to compete. Taking Merriman or Johnson (although I would prefer Merriman) wouldn't dissapoint me at all...

LarryFinFan said:
I'm sorry, I can't agree that our D has been solid for years..that is not true. Our D has let down numerous times, especially last year. Yes, it is a good D, better than most, but it breaks more than just bending...The coaching has been our downfall....playing O to not lose, rather than to win the game. It has taken me some time to come to this realization. I do agree with you that we need a more agressive D and a solid running game to compete. Taking Merriman or Johnson (although I would prefer Merriman) wouldn't dissapoint me at all...

You get it.... we had a superficial "stat" defense.... that's all

I don't think anybody believes you you don't need to run. Obviously an offense functions better with balance. The thing is you don't need a top tier rb to have balance. The NE examples works b/c they won it with Smith and Dillon (who they acquired for a 2nd rd pick). Most years there are rbs available that are good enough to get you there assuming you have the other parts (QB, OL, D). The other parts are much harder to acquire.

Defense never wins ANY championship unless OFFENSE gets Defense in a position to win it by getting the defense to a championship game in the first place.

UltraDol-Fan said:
Honestly I believe we could have won it all the year we had Ricky run for 1800 yards if we had better special teams.

And cut down on the massive turnovers. All those turnovers on Offense catch up after a while. Even more so when you don't have the big play threat.

Run the ball often, pass the ball well.

I've got NFL stats dating to '78 in Excel workbooks and have studied them extensively. The successful formula seldom varies. You need an average of 28+ rushing attempts per game and at least 7 yards per pass attempt. The defensive requirements are similar. You'll never go anywhere if you allow the opposition to run the ball all day or make big passing plays downfield.

In the salary cap era, it's obvious the requirements have declined somewhat. It's no longer absolutely vital to be completely balanced, as long as you are dominant in a key area(s). The '99 Rams were the first team in ages to violate the 28 rushing attempts per game criteria. The 2000 Ravens and 2002 Buccs did not meet the 7.0 yards per pass attempt rule. The Rams' passing attack and the defenses of the Ravens and Buccs were able to overcome their deficiencies, or strategic flaws, in the other areas.

But that's certainly not recommended. Do the right thing. If Linehan insists on rushing far fewer than 28 times per game, as he demonstrated at Minnesota last year, our defense and/or and passing game will have to be virtually the best in the league to ever threaten success in the playoffs.

finresurrection said:
Seems a lot of folks believe in this theory. Sounds legit but think back 2 years. We had a top "D". We had Ricky running for 1,800. where's the championship?

Seems to me there was one thing missing in this theory: Defenses that SCORE and a running game win championships. as evidenced by Baltimore.

Our "D" has been solid for years but we never seem to take the turnovers to the house.

It is my opinion that if at all possible trade down. Yes I know everyone is clamoring for that to happen so we can grab a top 3 RB still and gather extra picks. I would rather see us grab LB Merriman or LB Johnson early rd 1 and S Thomas Davis late rd 1 (based on trades). DEFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS.

grab an RB in 2 or 3 (Fason, Morency, Shelton, Arrington), QB in 2 or 3 (Campbell, Greene, McPherson), then depth in the later rds.

We have a good nucleus that just needs some explosiveness on "D". The guys are out there. let's go get them.
You also need a QB.

Back
Top Bottom