Defense created confusion for themselves | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defense created confusion for themselves

qmar

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Not a knock on the scheme necessarily, more of a knock on the lack of awareness by a couple of defenders last night.

I just don't get why some of these guy when faking a blitz, they don't peel back immediately when the ball is hiked. The idea is to make the QB think you are blitzing and by getting up at the line, you are somewhat accomplishing that. There is no reason to engage an offensive lineman and then peel back. You will not have enought time to get back and play the pass. 2 examples tonight.

• 3rd down I believe, Bell and Dansby are pressed at the line pre-snap. Sanchez hikes and Bell (who was planning to drop back in coverage the whole time) leans forward first, gets briefly engaged by an offensive lineman, then peels back and is not in position to make a play on a pass to Keller over the middle. He puts his hands up facing away from Sanchez but isn't far back enough to make a play.
  • Jets at the 15 or so, Dolphins down 7-0. Keller has been killing us all game so far. Bobby Carpenter's assignment was to come to the line but peel back after the snap and help the safety on Keller. He fakes the blitz by leaning forward after the snap. He then tries to peel back and get in position but he doesn't have enough time due to the second it took to lean forward and fake the blitz.
It may just be me, but I don't often see players actually engage lineman or fake pressure post snap when their assignment is to peel back in coverage. I'm sure there are some designed defensive formations, but those formations are more to cover a RB coming out of the backfield, not to get back 10 yards to cover the TE. Very disappointing with those two plays.

One other play that really killed this team and blew this game for the Dolphins - Braylen's 3rd and 10 catch that kept the Jets alive on their last drive. Jason Allen has to play short knowing he has help from Clemons. If Allen was in correct position and the ball was thrown, that's basically a guaranteed interception with a good chance it gets taken to the house. But I think if Allen was in correct position, that ball doesn't even get thrown and maybe the Jets punt there. Now the Phins are down 1 and with plenty of time to drive down and put up a FG. Very disappointing night.

Back
Top Bottom