Defense turning a corner? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defense turning a corner?

I’d say it’s too early to judge, but there’s a noticeable improvement they have to carry on improving and be consistent with displays over the next 6 matches. Just as much as I love Flo and think he needs time before being judged, the same applies to his D, so just waiting for a next few weeks but I have a feeling this is going to be a very good, well drilled def this time next season

I’d say it’s too early to judge, but there’s a noticeable improvement they have to carry on improving and be consistent with displays over the next 6 matches. Just as much as I love Flo and think he needs time before being judged, the same applies to his D, so just waiting for a next few weeks but I have a feeling this is going to be a very good, well drilled def this time next season
Not sure how much it really means, but those pats defenses were notoriously slow starters.

It seems like there were a lot of years where ppl (including me) said wow they really lost a step, but then they just kept getting tougher as the season progressed, then peaking just as playoff time rolled around.

I mean Kittle ripped the Eagles for 15 catches, 183 yards and a TD in their loss the previous week. Holding him to 4 catches for 44 yards is a win any day.

What does Kittle have to do with the 9ers overall issues? The Eagles a 1 win team, who tied the Burrow led Bungles, aren't any better.

Hindsight 20/20, says Miami should have won that game. Period. Good win. You should expect those against bad teams, even with a good TE.

What does Kittle have to do with the 9ers overall issues? The Eagles a 1 win team, who tied the Burrow led Bungles, aren't any better.

Hindsight 20/20, says Miami should have won that game. Period. Good win. You should expect those against bad teams, even with a good TE.
I think you are missing the point.

Our D communicated well, executed their assignments, made big stops, and weren't caught repeatedly out of position.

You can only play the team in front of you.

How many times in the past have we played down to the competition? You can never be a good team if you do that. One of the first steps in a teams journey to the top, is beating the teams you should, with authority.

I'm not sure how that can be construed in a negative way.

I think you are missing the point.

Our D communicated well, executed their assignments, made big stops, and weren't caught repeatedly out of position.

You can only play the team in front of you.

How many times in the past have we played down to the competition? You can never be a good team if you do that. One of the first steps in a teams journey to the top, is beating the teams you should, with authority.

I'm not sure how that can be construed in a negative way.

No, some are trying to hype something up, that doesn't need it or warrant it.

We are splitting hairs. Its a big win in your eyes and others, to me, looking back we should have expected it.

I think the 49ers game was a turning point. 1) Without Byron Jones the communication issues were abundant. 2) Now that both Howard and Jones are getting healthier. Flores can implement his vision he had for the Defense when they signed Jones. 3) The ability of the CB's to shutdown opposing WR's has opened up the blitz packages and stunts along the line. The multiple fronts and disguised looks gets amplified with great secondary coverage. 4) Miami has arguably 2 of the top 10 CB's in the NFL, most team can't say that. This is a huge advantage for Miami. 5) The ability of Eric Rowe to be able to shutdown opposing TE's will only make the overall defense better as teams find it harder to throw the ball.

If both Jones and Howard can stay healthy this is going to be a very hard team to beat, moving forward.

Let's hope they can learn how to stop the run. Once they do it consistently, I'd think it be the point they've progressed into a top echelon type team.
Great point. This secondary played a terrific game against the 49ers.

Run defense still needs help, but this has the makings of a good unit with a few more additions. Ogbah has especially come on.

Looking at this unit, I'd add talent at MLB, safety, run-stopping DT who can at least push the pocket and another pass rusher.

No, some are trying to hype something up, that doesn't need it or warrant it.

We are splitting hairs. Its a big win in your eyes and others, to me, looking back we should have expected it.
I'm not trying to be arguementative here, and I can only speak for myself.

It's not so much that we won. It's how we won, and what that represents.

To me, it represents that we are progressing as a team, exactly the way I had hoped.

Now that we flew out to the west coast and routed the 49ers suddenly it's a hollow win because the 49ers aren't that great so far this year. Jimmy G. had been out for a couple of games and he was going to come back and beat up on the Dolphin's. Jimmy is great, Jimmy can't fail! Jimmy was on the BENCH for the entire second half!!!! We totally kicked his butt from stem to stern. We physically and mentally beat Jimmy up badly, so badly, Coach Kyle stopped the fight by taking him out. The 49ers were home and favored by 9. Nobody gave Miami any chance to not end up with an embarrassing loss and a long, sad flight home. BUT NO, that's not what went down. What went down was a massacre of tremendous heights, a domination, an old time whipping all rolled into one. I don't recall sitting back with a huge smile for almost an entire Dolphin game, the refs got me a little nuts trying to keep it close. 43-17 was the best the refs could do because Miami was on fire and Ryan Fitzpatrick's passer rating was in the 158 range with 4 TDs and on top of that, the defense was playing like their hair was on fire. This was a spectacular win for us so let's really enjoy this one for 2 big weeks.

The way things are set we now play the Jets who truly stink. We should be able to beat them easily at home. We need to come out and play our best game because we just aren't good enough to look ahead against anyone. The intensity we found vs SF needs to be there again in Miami. Then we'll be 3-3 and who knows what can happen with some luck and some health.

I'm not trying to be arguementative here, and I can only speak for myself.

It's not so much that we won. It's how we won, and what that represents.

To me, it represents that we are progressing as a team, exactly the way I had hoped.
That's the most important take. It's HOW MIAMI WON!!! Not how much they win by.

Miami won because of a suffocating defense, lead by the stellar play of Xavien Howard, Byron Jones and Eric Rowe in the secondary. They completely shut down the 49er recieving corps. In turn it allowed the front seven to attack, with stunts and blitzes. It doesn't matter who the opposing team has playing at WR and TE, if Miami takes that away on a weekly basis; teams will need to find another way to beat Miami.

That's the most important take. It's HOW MIAMI WON!!! Not how much they win by.

Miami won because of a suffocating defense, lead by the stellar play of Xavien Howard, Byron Jones and Eric Rowe in the secondary. They completely shut down the 49er recieving corps. In turn it allowed the front seven to attack, with stunts and blitzes. It doesn't matter who the opposing team has playing at WR and TE, if Miami takes that away on a weekly basis; teams will need to find another way to beat Miami.
Agree, but I wouldn't discount the offense here.

As many have pointed out, it a lot easier to play D, when your O is moving the ball at will, and the opponent is down multiple scores before the Gatorade boy gets his cups set up on the folding table.

That's "complementary" football. A hot new word for what has always been true.

Agree, but I wouldn't discount the offense here.

As many have pointed out, it a lot easier to play D, when your O is moving the ball at will, and the opponent is down multiple scores before the Gatorade boy gets his cups set up on the folding table.

That's "complementary" football. A hot new word for what has always been true.
I understand and am not discounting what the offense did against San Francisco. But if a team is unable to constantly throw the Football against Miami, they are at an advantage.

Back
Top Bottom