Defense turning a corner? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defense turning a corner?

Miami held George Kittle to 4 catches and 44 yards. Kittle annihilated their opponent the week earlier. The Niners D may be battered but Miami has been putting up points on everyone since week 2.

I understand Miami is putting up points. But the 9ers have 2 wins. The Giants and the Jets. Take it for what its worth.

Eric Rowe has held opposing TE's to an insane YPC rate. He's been incredible since his switch to Safety.

Through 5 games we have allowed 3.8 catches and .2 TDs (per game) to opposing TEs. Rowe might honestly be the most underrated player on our roster. He has been shutting down TEs since his switch to safety last year. I never got why people thought we needed 2 safeties during the offseason. Rowe does his job and earns his pay check every week. Can’t ask for anything more than that.

I do really like Rowe too.
This team is still a work in progress. Keep getting better each week, like last year, and see how things fall.
I am excited to see them play the Chiefs, Rams, and Raiders, just to see how we match up.
Some other nice tests will be NE at home and at Buffalo.
This year is about growth; those are some tough games and they will, as a whole, help us to get a better idea where we are.

I understand Miami is putting up points. But the 9ers have 2 wins. The Giants and the Jets. Take it for what its worth.

I mean Kittle ripped the Eagles for 15 catches, 183 yards and a TD in their loss the previous week. Holding him to 4 catches for 44 yards is a win any day.

We are seeing the impact of carefully considered free agent moves. Byron Jones dramatically changes the ceiling for this defense. When combined with a healthier X, their talent allows the d coordinator to get creative. Ogbah and Lawson dramatically changed the ability to set the edge. Further, it appears the Van Ginkel is Capable of setting the edge. Finally, the impact of Van Noy is huge. The timing of blitzes by the LBs has his finger prints all over it. His contribution as a field general far outshine his individual performance.

The criticism of the offseason moves is misplaced. The Phins had a monster offseason, and it is beginning to show.

Not trying to be negative here but I'm trying not to get too high when something goes right or too low when things go bad. SF has a lot of injuries and their QB was not 100% healthy. our defense played well but I'm gonna wait till we play a couple of good teams(the jets are bad) and see how our defense does in those games before I say they turned the corner.

Also even when Van Ginkel looks bad he looks good..
They run a counter opposite way.
2 steps in.. reads it.. stays away from contact.. sees the hole jumps left to ear hole the running back and bounces off and allows another 6 yards.. he will end up wrapping those up but damn actually using instincts..

Week to week I have seen better schemed pressure on the QB. Against the 49ers they did everything right save the penalties, some of which were bogus. In fact I believe without the bogus roughing the passer the 49ers don’t even score in the 2nd half. So is the defense becoming legit now that bryon is back?

Though I think bringing back Jones is a big reason, I think it's more then that.

The new players are geling with the players from last year...New players like Van Noy, Lawson, and Ogbah are taking a leadership by example approach...X is healthy and back to his old self just as Jones comes back...Young players like Van Ginkel, Wilkins, Baker are maturing fast.

This Defense is growing with each week...got to love the aggresiveness while still not making dumb mistakes.

Week to week I have seen better schemed pressure on the QB. Against the 49ers they did everything right save the penalties, some of which were bogus. In fact I believe without the bogus roughing the passer the 49ers don’t even score in the 2nd half. So is the defense becoming legit now that bryon is back?
I don't think it can be understated how much having Byron in the lineup changes the dynamics of the D. I think we had guys playing out of place in order to try and compensate for his absence. The pieces seemed to fit better this past game and I think we got a more accurate portrayal of what the vision is for this defense.

Playing with a lead -- certainly a sustained lead -- benefits the D.

In reflection to what Patchy said -- I think playing with a lead helps

build confidence and allows the D to be more aggressive and

potentially dominate. Way better than playing from behind!

Back to the proverbial clock -- convincingly winning time

of possession always benefits the D.

Bottom line --- excellent D is related to excellent O.

IMO. Of course.

IMO. Of course.
I think 3rd downs with Howard, Jones and Rowe in Miami's secondary, no matter what the situation is in terms of, How well Miami's offense is playing or the score. It's going to be extremely hard for opposing offenses to move the ball via the pass.

There aren't many teams who can field one stud CB, let alone two!!! Throw in Rowe's exceptional TE coverage and you have Potentially what you saw on Sunday against the 49ers on a weekly basis.

Not the blowout win, but the suffocating defense.

IMO. Of course.
Yeah right now it seems like our pass defense is fine tlnow that Jones is back. Overall though our line has been dominated in the run game and it still bothers me. We don't have anyone on the line that is shedding and disrupting the play with consistency. It is those guys that need to step up in the run game.

We are seeing the impact of carefully considered free agent moves. Byron Jones dramatically changes the ceiling for this defense. When combined with a healthier X, their talent allows the d coordinator to get creative. Ogbah and Lawson dramatically changed the ability to set the edge. Further, it appears the Van Ginkel is Capable of setting the edge. Finally, the impact of Van Noy is huge. The timing of blitzes by the LBs has his finger prints all over it. His contribution as a field general far outshine his individual performance.

The criticism of the offseason moves is misplaced. The Phins had a monster offseason, and it is beginning to show.
Just as important, aside from the Jones signing, we didn't hand out big money, or long term gaurantees. That's huge, in that it allows us future flexibility. We can easily move on from a guy that isn't what we had hoped. Howard, for example.

Back
Top Bottom