Defense turning a corner? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defense turning a corner?

I'm not trying to be arguementative here, and I can only speak for myself.

It's not so much that we won. It's how we won, and what that represents.

To me, it represents that we are progressing as a team, exactly the way I had hoped.

And I have stated numerous times in multiple threads that the best we can hope after the horrid start of the season on defense....is some continuity and maturity as the season progresses.

Which again, I appreciate.

No, some are trying to hype something up, that doesn't need it or warrant it.

We are splitting hairs. Its a big win in your eyes and others, to me, looking back we should have expected it.
Isn't "looking back" just the best form of logic.
I now completely agree with you.

I think a performance like this is going to boost some confidence going against 'lesser competition'. And hopefully this coaching staff continues to identify and exploit weaknesses.

Early in the season it was as if the defense played like there was significant turnover of players, a new DC, no OTA's or preseason games.

Hmm... Wonder why they are playing better 5 weeks into the season.

Early in the season it was as if the defense played like there was significant turnover of players, a new DC, no OTA's or preseason games.

Hmm... Wonder why they are playing better 5 weeks into the season.
Still need a Mike you can see it but I’m encouraged by the increased pass rush

I understand Miami is putting up points. But the 9ers have 2 wins. The Giants and the Jets. Take it for what its worth.

Just one little dose of reality here. You have to play the teams on your schedule.

If we point to another teams wins over "weaker" teams to diminish their record, shouldn't we be allowed to point to our loses to higher rated teams to elevate our record?

Playing with a lead -- certainly a sustained lead -- benefits the D.

In reflection to what Patchy said -- I think playing with a lead helps

build confidence and allows the D to be more aggressive and

potentially dominate. Way better than playing from behind!

Back to the proverbial clock -- convincingly winning time

of possession always benefits the D.

Bottom line --- excellent D is related to excellent O.

IMO. Of course.

YES! The word you are looking for is BALANCE, and we seem to have it and are integrating it better each week.

Even though we are beginning to win (and yes, I predicted a 2 -6 WL record for our 1st 6 games) I also predicted that we would dominate our last 10 games winning 7 or 8 of them, claiming we would be the team no one wanted to face at the end of the year. I based this on several things:

1) Flo as HC did the impossible last year with lower rated players. WE SHOWED GROWTH, a lot of success towards the end of that year, and that successful coaching approach continues with both his selected coaches and the players.
2) THE DRAFT WE JUST COMPLETED. Wow, just wow!
3) I anticipated a weaker overall schedule, yet we are still moving forward as a team.

With all these good things happening we have one more great thing going for us; THE 2021 DRAFT!

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who is unwilling to give our new GM, Grier, credit for these drafts, and by extension, the teams ongoing success, would be happier as a Jets fan!

A lot of the defensive issues we have had for the first month of the season were fixable. Not all mind you but most were. Really since the Jags game the biggest things in the front 7 have been reduced responsibility for Jerome Baker and playing AVG/Sieler more. Getting Jones back also helps. Iggy is a very good prospect but right now he had no business bring a top 2 CB. Just not disciplined enough mentally.

Now the run d is still a fairly big concern and I think until the ILB spot is upgraded will continue to be. But other areas on d should be better.

Back
Top Bottom