Defense Will Shock You This Year... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defense Will Shock You This Year...

Because people do it every year but without the crucial ingredients of B & B that make it all work. Teams have been trying to replicate what they do for 20 (is that right?) years and the results have been damning. Stop trying to be the Patriots and develop your own system of success ... that hopefully doesn't require cheating.

You are right in the sense that they are ahead of the curve schematically (get those DBs on the field) but their D hasn't been anything to write home about or try to copy for a long time.

I disagree. Their defense has been far from dominate, except when it matters. But what their defense has been able to do, is stay relevant, stay good enough, despite not being strong where people think they must, letting players walk, and using scheme fits to get the job done, not plugging non scheme fits in and hope they adapt. This is what everyone is hoping is brought to Miami. What they have done so far tells me it looks like that is the case. We don't have BB or Brady youre correct. But no one is sitting here saying "well we are building the patriot way, so we are going to win 8 super bowls". Being able to compete year in and year out is the goal. One would be nice. You dont have to have BB or Brady for that.

I disagree. Their defense has been far from dominate, except when it matters. But what their defense has been able to do, is stay relevant, stay good enough, despite not being strong where people think they must, letting players walk, and using scheme fits to get the job done, not plugging non scheme fits in and hope they adapt. This is what everyone is hoping is brought to Miami. What they have done so far tells me it looks like that is the case. We don't have BB or Brady youre correct. But no one is sitting here saying "well we are building the patriot way, so we are going to win 8 super bowls". Being able to compete year in and year out is the goal. One would be nice. You dont have to have BB or Brady for that.

Fair enough.

The scheme can only do so much. We don't really have anyone who can do those things effectively yet, and until they learn the system, they will be stretched to do even that much.
I agree. You do need some players. No one thinks we are completely rebuilt on the defensive side and ready to roll. I was just simply pointing out that NE did have a great edge rusher and did just fine.

I agree. You do need some players. No one thinks we are completely rebuilt on the defensive side and ready to roll. I was just simply pointing out that NE did have a great edge rusher and did just fine.
True, but those guys have been broken in on the system for a while, and despite what people are noticing athletically about Van Ginkel .. I don't think he's going to be as productive as Van Noy … I hope I'm wrong though.

Only 60? ****, now I gotta re-do my pool entry at work.
optimism is better than pessimism....and I put we may lose 12 games, maybe more...but I don't think you'll be able to pin those on defensive woes...if I'm wrong then oh well, you two poked fun at me and no big deal...but if I'm right...???

I honestly believe that our Defense is going to shock the NFL this year and have one of the most dramatic turnarounds in recent history. I get the feeling that A) Flores is going to find the best way to use Harris and he is finally going to live up to the 1st round potential. Even if we lose 12 games this year, our defense will keep them close and the L will strictly come from the Offenses inability to move the ball... or B) I could also be a punch-drunk homer who is blinded by team loyalty...going with (A) right now but high probability it could be (B)...who's with me??? (That and we haven't been able to cover a TE since the late 90's)...
Anything/anyone is better than Burke. Coincidence; Burke wasn't picked up as a "D" coordinator, not even by the guy/coach Gase who hired him as such.

I think if they stay healthy, the secondary could be fine, if not great, as long as they have someone step up to be that CB2.

As far as the rest of the D is concerned, I see a team that lacks the personnel to play 4-3 or 3-4. I just don't see them shocking anyone.
I’ll bet if we could find a way to line up a 3.5-3.5 front that would shock a lot of people.

Baker might not be heavy but he is stronger than he looks. He isn't a player I'd call out as being weak.
I didn't say "Baker" was week. I said our LB corps was the weakest part of our team. I said Baker was the best of the 3 despite being undersized.

A lot of complaints about our lack of DEs... and while it is a valid complaint, we were TERRIBLE against the run last year.
Most coaches will tell you that in the modern NFL, if you cant stop the run, you've no chance against the pass. You've got to stop the run first, and we couldn't do that.
With Wilkins... I think we can. He was the first step.

Its gonna be rough the first year no doubt. We don't have the quantity of DBs to replicate the patriots system. We got Minkah and Howard. Everything else is suspect as far as I am concerned. We dont have the pass rush. We dont have the linebackers. We have two good DBs. We have one unproven rookie on the dline. Our best returning Dlineman from last year is coming back from injury.

I know Flores can probably offset some of that with scheme but dammit havent we seen that success isnt guarantee because you came from NE. I am suspect until I see it.

I think you underestimate our linebackers somewhat. Their problem isnt lack of quality so much as it is the fact that all three of them look like INSIDE Linebackers.
Baker may surprise, but the other two are limited to inside duty.

I don't believe the situation on defense is as dire as many think.

We were horrible in run D, but I put a lot of that (as well as several other issues) on the monumental incompetence of Burke, and Gase.

What did we really lose? A declining Wake? An average, at best, Quinn?

I realize the cupboard is bare, when it comes to pass rushers, and we are short handed as far as quality corners, but the truth is, we are not less talented than last year.

I think a real coaching staff will, by default, make us better.

We were basically starting 3 rookies, counting Raekwon, and they should all be greatly improved from early last year.

Baker might not be heavy but he is stronger than he looks. He isn't a player I'd call out as being weak.
My point exactly, a poor man levante David for now you plays at a sub 230.

Back
Top Bottom