Defensive Line Coach Marion Hobby On Christian Wilkins' Strengths Personality 5/10 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Line Coach Marion Hobby On Christian Wilkins' Strengths Personality 5/10

Your assumption that they don't care is a bit extreme. You don't know that.
You seem to be implying it based on measurables that have no definite bearing on their actual feelings one way or another.
You are right, and I may be overstating it … but then again it does actually hurt me that we turn over the keys to our precious club to someone who appears not to care about its accomplishments, city and legacy. Connecting with the heart and soul of the Dolphins franchise, guys like Don Shula, Dan Marino, and events like the Perfect Season to me are sources of joy in this entertainment business that is professional football. I am far more entertained when I believe in the franchise, city, people, and philosophy.

Feeling like we're trying very hard to build a legion of mercenaries whose pride comes from being elite (only 32 of these jobs out there), and zero connection to the people, city, franchise or legacy of the people who came before us … really makes me disappointed. I get the distinct feeling that this disconnect is being cultivated … and it de-motivates me as a fan, and it lowers my respect level for the participants.

Ultimately the NFL is entertainment … not geopolitical policy, not philosophical enlightenment, and not military strategy. While it incorporates elements of all three, it is entertainment. Their choice to de-couple performance from caring is one that lowers the entertainment value in my eyes, and I dislike things that devalue the team that I hold so dear, the Miami Dolphins. If no one the rest of their lives ever said your name … it wouldn't change a lot, but it would change how you feel.

Everyone knows he is a Miami dolphins coach it also says it on his shirt why would he be mentioning it in an interview with someone who clearly ****ing knows he coaches Miami. I'm so confused on why your crying about this it's one of the dumbest things I've read on this board and that's saying alot. Not trying to bash you or anything it's just mind blowing that this bothers you
Imagine for a moment that your life remained exactly the same, with one exception. Nobody ever said your name … not to you, not about you, not in the papers, not anywhere. Sure, they routinely said everyone else's name, that all remains unchanged … just that your name was never uttered. It may appear on a birth certificate, but never in a personal email, never in a family discussion, never in a wedding announcement … nowhere. How would that make you feel?

Of course that wouldn't change who you are, and everyone would know who you are by your ID card or name in some records system … but any meaningful choice to say your name or not was specifically chosen to omit your name … and only your name. Personally, that would make me feel undervalued, unwanted and less respected. Maybe I'm the only person who has this view point … but that's why I dislike the clear active decision not to use the team name. It's not lack of knowledge or information … it's lack of pride and a desire to dis-associate. It's a choice. That's just my opinion.

No one is not saying Miami dolphins though so your argument is flawed. I'm sure they said it leading up to the segment and after the segment and it may have came from there website that also states the name of the franchisee. It's repeated on the radio on the TV on the internet it is not the coaches job to market the team

You are right, and I may be overstating it … but then again it does actually hurt me that we turn over the keys to our precious club to someone who appears not to care about its accomplishments, city and legacy. Connecting with the heart and soul of the Dolphins franchise, guys like Don Shula, Dan Marino, and events like the Perfect Season to me are sources of joy in this entertainment business that is professional football. I am far more entertained when I believe in the franchise, city, people, and philosophy.

Feeling like we're trying very hard to build a legion of mercenaries whose pride comes from being elite (only 32 of these jobs out there), and zero connection to the people, city, franchise or legacy of the people who came before us … really makes me disappointed. I get the distinct feeling that this disconnect is being cultivated … and it de-motivates me as a fan, and it lowers my respect level for the participants.

Ultimately the NFL is entertainment … not geopolitical policy, not philosophical enlightenment, and not military strategy. While it incorporates elements of all three, it is entertainment. Their choice to de-couple performance from caring is one that lowers the entertainment value in my eyes, and I dislike things that devalue the team that I hold so dear, the Miami Dolphins. If no one the rest of their lives ever said your name … it wouldn't change a lot, but it would change how you feel.
Digital, as the guy who won the best poster award, I feel like you dont mention FinHeaven nearly enough in your posts, I guess you're only posting in here for awards... :chuckle:

Seriously though, most of the times, mentionning the Miami Dolphins repeatedly would just sound odd and wouldnt make sense when anwsering questions from the media IMO...

Job security for these coaches especially the position coaches and even the coordinators is more important than any team loyalty.

Position coaches especially know musical chairs is part of the gig

Last edited:
Digital, as the guy who won the best poster award, I feel like you dont mention FinHeaven nearly enough in your posts, I guess you're only posting in here for awards... :chuckle:

Seriously though, most of the times, mentionning the Miami Dolphins repeatedly would just sound odd and wouldnt make sense when anwsering questions from the media IMO...
LOL, funny stuff bro!

But seriously … don't you find it odd? Should we print t-shirts that say "Go Generic Team!" or something? I mean, the "No Name Defense" was an insult showing disrespect from Tom Landry that was worn as a badge of honor … but it was still a disrespectful comment from an opposing coach … not from our own coach.

LOL, funny stuff bro!

But seriously … don't you find it odd? Should we print t-shirts that say "Go Generic Team!" or something? I mean, the "No Name Defense" was an insult showing disrespect from Tom Landry that was worn as a badge of honor … but it was still a disrespectful comment from an opposing coach … not from our own coach.

I'm finding it odd that you are really hurt by this. I love the team's history but I don't have an issue with the coaches not giving us a lecture on it during every press conference. They are new here and are trying to build 'SOMETHING' worth a damn NOW. If the coaches did speak on it, I probably wouldn't have even paid much attention to it.
I'd consider that a 'nice to have' vs a 'showstopper' which it seems you are deadset on making this out to be.

I'm finding it odd that you are really hurt by this. I love the team's history but I don't have an issue with the coaches not giving us a lecture on it during every press conference. They are new here and are trying to build 'SOMETHING' worth a damn NOW. If the coaches did speak on it, I probably wouldn't have even paid much attention to it.
I'd consider that a 'nice to have' vs a 'showstopper' which it seems you are deadset on making this out to be.
I'm not making it out to be anything … I'm just giving my opinion. Yeah, it matters to me. When they name a street after Don Shula at the stadium … I notice that stuff. When there's a statute to Dan Marino, it makes me smile. Every year when there's 1 undefeated team left, I root for them to lose at least 1 game. Maybe I'm clinging to the warm feeling of when we were good … but I expect a coach to take pride in being a Miami Dolphin. I expect a player to respect the city, team and heritage. Maybe nobody else cares. Maybe it's just me. But I'm not just watching any team … yeah, I'm a fan of the NFL, but I'm more of a fan of the Miami Dolphins … not just some team that happens to be in town and doesn't give a damn where they're playing, or who played here before them.

Some people pick their team because of the city they represent--which suggests they care that the team cares about the city. Some people pick their team because they win--which suggests that they care about results (bandwagon fans abound). Some people pick their teams because of their names or colors--which suggests they care about the branding. Some people pick their teams because of their families--which suggests they have made strong family ties/loyalties concerning their team. Regardless … everyone has a reason for picking their team, and supporting it. I watched the Dolphins as a kid and liked them because my family watched the Washington Redskins and Miami Dolphins. I grew to admire Don Shula who was a stand-up person and great coach, and regularly the least penalized team. I loved Florida. I cherished those days and teams, and grew to love the Dolphins. It mattered to me. I'd like to see a coach who cares about that too. But hey, everyone likes teams for their own reasons … I'm just sharing mine.

If people don't want me to ever talk about why I love the Dolphins … maybe I should just stop sharing it.

Odd … you quote me and bold and italicize it and increase the font by a lot … but do not highlight the rest of the thought in the same sentence where I say it is not going to happen. Here is the literally what I wrote immediately after that sentence … sized boldened and italicized just like you did the other part … just so we're showing the whole thought:

"If they move the franchise to London, hey, they laid the groundwork … and I do NOT think that will happen … "

Odd that you didn't emphasize that part of the sentence that immediately follows, and explains that I did not think it would happen.

Hey … please read the entire thing, don't just pick and choose what you want to refute because you are taking the thought out of context.

If you want to continue your personal attack calling me a dog "so you can salivate like a Pavlovian dog" … yes, I understand his research … and the thinly veiled insult. Wearing the gear isn't the same as embracing the concept … and I realize you know that. So don't even put that up as some sort of false equivalent please.

I've read your posts for years … and never expected this from you @spiketex and hope you will go back to discussing the topic rather than mis-emphasizing my quotes and personal insults.
OK, I hear what you are saying, but I don't doubt that the entire staff is fully committed to the team. They are now the Miami Dolphins coaching staff.

**** the history of "this proud franchise" LOL.

Marino, Shula, Griese mean **** to anyone today in terms of how they want the team to win, I don't care if Flores calls the team the clown car patrol, as long as he wins a lot of games.

@Digital

Are you okay? Your post lately, imo, have been off or are showing another side.

I get the love for the Miami Dolphins and it's city and great history. I think we all do to some level.

BUT, just because we've been Dolphins fans for a long time shouldn't extend to anyone on the team that

1) Just got the the Miami Dolphins organization has part of the coaching staff
2) Just got to the NFL as rookies.

The only exceptions, IMO, are those that grew up locally or were fans of the Dolphins growing up.

I'd prefer instead of lsaying Miami Dolphins this and that because that's what 1)Your supposed to say and 2) It sounds nice, that the actually be given the opportunity to naturally fall in love with their new homes, city, this franchise and its rich history.

Most of this stuff whether you like it or not is an arranged marriage and as such give this folks a chance to discover what they like and eventually love about their new partner.

What you're asking of these new players and coaches at the onset just isn't fair and more likely would be fake if they conformed to what you want.

I'm not making it out to be anything … I'm just giving my opinion. Yeah, it matters to me. When they name a street after Don Shula at the stadium … I notice that stuff. When there's a statute to Dan Marino, it makes me smile. Every year when there's 1 undefeated team left, I root for them to lose at least 1 game. Maybe I'm clinging to the warm feeling of when we were good … but I expect a coach to take pride in being a Miami Dolphin. I expect a player to respect the city, team and heritage. Maybe nobody else cares. Maybe it's just me. But I'm not just watching any team … yeah, I'm a fan of the NFL, but I'm more of a fan of the Miami Dolphins … not just some team that happens to be in town and doesn't give a damn where they're playing, or who played here before them.

Some people pick their team because of the city they represent--which suggests they care that the team cares about the city. Some people pick their team because they win--which suggests that they care about results (bandwagon fans abound). Some people pick their teams because of their names or colors--which suggests they care about the branding. Some people pick their teams because of their families--which suggests they have made strong family ties/loyalties concerning their team. Regardless … everyone has a reason for picking their team, and supporting it. I watched the Dolphins as a kid and liked them because my family watched the Washington Redskins and Miami Dolphins. I grew to admire Don Shula who was a stand-up person and great coach, and regularly the least penalized team. I loved Florida. I cherished those days and teams, and grew to love the Dolphins. It mattered to me. I'd like to see a coach who cares about that too. But hey, everyone likes teams for their own reasons … I'm just sharing mine.

If people don't want me to ever talk about why I love the Dolphins … maybe I should just stop sharing it.

Amen!

And to answer your question: NEVER STOP BRO! NEVER ****ING STOP!

I get what you’re saying, man, but I am of the opinion that the passion is a little bit misdirected in this instance. I DO believe these guys have pride in the organization they’re representing. However, I believe that the last two regimes paid that respect through lip service. I am optimistic this one will pay respect through actions and results.

Back
Top Bottom