Defensive Line Taking Form | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Line Taking Form

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
The starting line is pretty well set, but I think the depth on the interior may be a problem area.

LDE - Vonnie Holliday
LDT - Keith Traylor
RDT - Kevin Carter
RDE - Jason Taylor

The question is coming at the back up slots. Matt Roth and David Bowens will supply good depth at defensive end, with Roth possibly pushing for a starting job at some point. Defensive tackle is a different story though. If Larry Chester can come back 100% or close to it, then we have two big bodies to play the one technique. The spot behind Carter is going to be an interesting spot though. I wonder if they will eventually decide to keep Jeff Zgonina for depth purposes? It probably wouldn't be a bad idea, because he can play. He just can't start for an entire season. Kevin Vickerson is a young guy who isn't quite ready to be a key member of the defensive line rotation, IMO. There is some developing that will have to take place with him. Dario Romero is a guy that has played well for a back up player, and he could be the guy to back up Kevin Carter if the Dolphins decide to let Zgonina go. Josh Shaw is a player that Nick Saban coached at Michigan State, and Dan Quinn even had him in San Francisco, so there is some familiarity with him. These back up slots will be interesting battles. I believe the Dolphins will keep 10 defensive linemen, with the last two spots going to developmental types. IMO, those spots will probably go to Kevin Vickerson and maybe Ronald Flemons.

KB21 said:
The starting line is pretty well set, but I think the depth on the interior may be a problem area.

LDE - Vonnie Holliday
LDT - Keith Traylor
RDT - Kevin Carter
RDE - Jason Taylor

The question is coming at the back up slots. Matt Roth and David Bowens will supply good depth at defensive end, with Roth possibly pushing for a starting job at some point. Defensive tackle is a different story though. If Larry Chester can come back 100% or close to it, then we have two big bodies to play the one technique. The spot behind Carter is going to be an interesting spot though. I wonder if they will eventually decide to keep Jeff Zgonina for depth purposes? It probably wouldn't be a bad idea, because he can play. He just can't start for an entire season. Kevin Vickerson is a young guy who isn't quite ready to be a key member of the defensive line rotation, IMO. There is some developing that will have to take place with him. Dario Romero is a guy that has played well for a back up player, and he could be the guy to back up Kevin Carter if the Dolphins decide to let Zgonina go. Josh Shaw is a player that Nick Saban coached at Michigan State, and Dan Quinn even had him in San Francisco, so there is some familiarity with him. These back up slots will be interesting battles. I believe the Dolphins will keep 10 defensive linemen, with the last two spots going to developmental types. IMO, those spots will probably go to Kevin Vickerson and maybe Ronald Flemons.

I know the guy was cut (and therefore a moot point) but I thought that Mario Monds would have been a good guy to have in our DL rotation. He was like a poor man's Gilbert Brown in the fact that he was all girth but I felt that he could have helped out in stopping the run.

The way I see it, we have good depth on the DL for rushing the passer but not necessarily for stopping the run.

phinfan2003 said:
I know the guy was cut (and therefore a moot point) but I thought that Mario Monds would have been a good to have in our DL rotation. He was like a poor man's Gilbert Brown in the fact that he was all girth but I felt that he could have helped out in stopping the run.

The way I see it, we have good depth on the DL for rushing the passer but not necessarily for stopping the run.

I liked Monds as well. He played pretty well in limited duty at the end of last year.

I did'nt see him being a starter or anything but with the uncertainty surrounding Chester now it would have been nice to give him another look in my opinion.

miami's line sucks. if you have a backup with the kansas city chiefs starting...as well as giving a washed up hog a 2 year deal out of desperation (traylor)...then you've got problems. taylor is a beast, and carter is decent...but please.

I think Vickerson could be a surprise this year. The knock on him is that he plays too high, but he's tenacious and is mad because the NFL passed on him until the 7th round and has a "I'm going to prove all you guys were wrong" attitude. He was a highly prized recruit out of high school and had a very good senior year on a bad foot.

I don't think Vickerson will start, but given our situation at DT, I think he'll make the team and contribute.

juventus said:
miami's line sucks. if you have a backup with the kansas city chiefs starting...as well as giving a washed up hog a 2 year deal out of desperation (traylor)...then you've got problems. taylor is a beast, and carter is decent...but please.

Troll

juventus said:

I expect better much better things from you in your second post. :lol:

d-line looks good. need some sort of safety help and we will be set.. may sound mean but i hope ricky blows out a knee the first day of his camp after he signs the league vet minimum.. you laugh at that but these things have a way of working themselves out.

you need more then a FS to be "set". you need another CB opposite madison, some new LBs (crowder is a start), and an interior line....or else teams will run crazy on the fins and wont even have to pass the ball. thomas is a great LB but he needs those fatasses in the front to take up blockers

juventus said:
you need more then a FS to be "set". you need another CB opposite madison, some new LBs (crowder is a start), and an interior line....or else teams will run crazy on the fins and wont even have to pass the ball. thomas is a great LB but he needs those fatasses in the front to take up blockers

You obviously have no clue about what you're talking about. We have Howard opposite of Madison, he started for the Panthers when they went to the SB. We are set at LB.

KB21 said:

LDE - Vonnie Holliday
LDT - Keith Traylor
RDT - Kevin Carter
RDE - Jason Taylor

Great post KB! I argee with you with Matt Roth and David Bowens, we have some nice DEPTH at DE. I'm really hoping that Larry Chester comes back at 100% and stays healthy... if he does do you think he would start with Traylor (most likey) or be back-up to Traylor and Carter... or start with Traylor and move Carter to DE opposite of JT? I personally would love Kevin Carter at DE with only a reserve role at DT, but I'm really excited about getting Traylor. Also, I'm just wondering... (prior to Keith Traylor), I was hearing that Kevin Carter might be playing LDT, any specific reason why you have Traylor at LDT and Carter at RDT?

well im not a dolphin fan but it doesnt have take a genius to know miami's defense is a FS away from being set. howard? LOL ok buddy. that guy was the weak link of carolina's defense. wasnt he like 4th on the depth chart last year? come on guys...get real...just a lil...please?lol

juventus said:

very horrible post. How is traylor washed up? did u get that from watching the pats win all but two games last year? carter is alot better then o-gun in my opionion, with taylor on the other side he will alot of chances to make plays.

juventus said:
well im not a dolphin fan but it doesnt have take a genius to know miami's defense is a FS away from being set. howard? LOL ok buddy. that guy was the weak link of carolina's defense. wasnt he like 4th on the depth chart last year? come on guys...get real...just a lil...please?lol

so our d-line is horrible but now were a FS away from being set? way to be a hypocrite

Back
Top Bottom