Defensive Player of the Year a Lock!!!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Player of the Year a Lock!!!!

Breed said:
It shouldn't even be close....

Jason Taylor: 50 total tackles, 11.5 sacks, 8 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions, 10 passes defended, 2 defensive touchdowns.

Julius Peppers: 54 total tackles, 11 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 0 interceptions, 6 passes defended, 0 defensive touchdowns.

Adalius Thomas: 67 total tackles, 10 sacks, 0 forced fumbles, 1 interception, 4 passes defended, 0 defensive touchdowns.

Brian Urlacher: 106 total tackles, 0 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 3 interceptions, 7 passes defended, 0 defensive touchdowns. The Bears play MNF tommorow, so Urlacher has only played 12 games so far. Has Urlacher even been the best at his position?

Merriman shouldn't even be mentioned because of his suspension for cheating.

Taylor has blown away the competition.

8 forced fumbles? :eek: Honestly, outside of the cheater, there's no one who's even in the same league this year. JT should get it, he deserves to get it, and whether or not Merriman *knew* he was taking steroids, he should automatically not be in the running for violating the substance abuse policy.

Dmancari23 said:
I think JT deserves it as much as anyone, but there are definitely other candidates out there.

Champ Bailey- Easily the best defensive back in the game, the guy single-handedly locks up 33% of the field. Other teams don't even throw to his side of the field, period.

Shawne Merrimane- Despite the suspension, I don't believe he's out of the running for the award. His numbers are incredible and are made even more impressive by the fact that he's missed 4 games and is still leading the league in several categories.

Jason Taylor- Obviously our best player far and away. Good numbers so far, not the best sack numbers of his career, but everything else looks good on paper. Affects more games on his own than any other Phins player.

Ed Reed/Ray Lewis- The Ravens defense is just ridiculous and it's hard not to mention these 2 guys in any defensive POY conversation year in and year out.

Brian Urlacher- Best player or the league's best defense. He'll get plenty of consideration for that alone. Not to mention that the team is as good as it is because of that defense.

I think any of those guys could easily win the award and there shouldn't be a complaint from anyone. JT is tremendous, but the fact that he's on a bad team may hurt his chances, but who knows? Personally I think the award comes down to Urlacher/Merrimane. It's such a crapshoot.

Champ Bailey is without a doubt the best CB in the game, but he isn't having the year Taylor,Peppers,Merriman and Thomas (Adalius) are having. Bailey is a longshot.

Ray Lewis has already missed 2 games, so he shouldn't be in the mix. 78 total tackles, 2 sacks, 0 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions, 8 passes defended and 0 defensive touchdowns. You can count out Ray Lewis.

Ed Reed has missed a game and is only on pace for 60 tackles 0 sacks, 3 interceptions and 1 defensive touchdown. You can count out Ed Reed.

Merriman has a shot, as does Urlacher.........JT should be the clear favorite though.

emocomputerjock said:
8 forced fumbles? :eek: Honestly, outside of the cheater, there's no one who's even in the same league this year. JT should get it, he deserves to get it, and whether or not Merriman *knew* he was taking steroids, he should automatically not be in the running for violating the substance abuse policy.

I agree, unfortunately........Merriman is still very popular. It's amazing all the hate that's directed at Barry Bonds, but few people seem to care about Merriman cheating.

Breed said:
I agree, unfortunately........Merriman is still very popular. It's amazing all the hate that's directed at Barry Bonds, but few people seem to care about Merriman cheating.

Personally, I can't stand either of them. Any professional athlete using performance-enchaning drugs is scum - there's enough cutthroat do-whatever-it-takes in the real world. I mean, there's not enough role models as is, and for guys who are on tv, and who have the opportunity to be something greater, being proven a cheater is the ultimate waste of an opportunity. Then again, we can handle crooks and thieves anywhere else (especially in public office), so I suppose on the whole the lack of outrage for cheating in football is understandable.

emocomputerjock said:
Personally, I can't stand either of them. Any professional athlete using performance-enchaning drugs is scum - there's enough cutthroat do-whatever-it-takes in the real world. I mean, there's not enough role models as is, and for guys who are on tv, and who have the opportunity to be something greater, being proven a cheater is the ultimate waste of an opportunity. Then again, we can handle crooks and thieves anywhere else (especially in public office), so I suppose on the whole the lack of outrage for cheating in football is understandable.
Hey emo, question.... Did/do you like any old-school players in any professional sport? Chances are some of the most popular players from other eras took some sort of performance enhancing drug. It was a RAMPANT problem before the testing was implemented. I think it's a bit unfair to hold against players today only because we know about it, when it was an even bigger problem in the 70's, 80's and eras from before. The only difference is the awareness. I don't look down on Barry Bonds or Shawn Merrimane or whomever. It's their choice. The truth is, if any one of us were in similar positions, how many of us would've made the right choice? I say right now, if I could do something or take something to further my career I would do it, just as long it didn't hurt anyone else other than myself. These guys are human beings, just like anyone else.

I have readd all your arguements and taken into consideration all of the hype about Merriman and Bailey and x,y,z... But as far as production on the field, and off the field as well, there is NO BETTER candidate for DPOY that JT...

Bottom line... And if another is selected and awarded the title other than JT... Well let's just say that the press hasn't heard anything yet...:tantrum:

Looking at those stats, Urlacher doesn't look much more then Zach Thomas type player. I.e. all over the field type person who doesn't get much sacks etc.

Back
Top Bottom