Definately a fit for Flores defense - OLB / Edge Zach Baun | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Definately a fit for Flores defense - OLB / Edge Zach Baun

Watt was often mocked in the 1st, and Slimm, CK, and I all had him rated high (Top 10 or close for all of us). Baun looks good, but he's more than 10 lbs lighter (252 vs 240) than Watt and made comments about switching to Off Ball, where he played all week at the Sr Bowl.

If Baun can get his weight up and test well, I'll buy the Top 50 talk. Like I said, he's very good, but he's not going to make it on the edge at 240, and he's an older prospect, so it's less likely that he'll be able to add enough good weight.

I agree with all of this. He's a different player if he's pure off ball. But I don't think he will be pure off ball, and also I think he can be just as valuable there. Maybe more so.

Late 1st round is where he is mocking now.

Would be good value and a great fit at #26.

I like him more on tbe los than I do off. Plays with good awareness. More I watch the more I like. Think he has more pure pass rush going for him than van ginkel who is more of a flush to finish guy.

has some versatility though and I like the way he plays angles and attacks shoulders.

scheme fit wise it looks pretty spot on.

I don’t want to overdraft it for the ask but the more I look the more I think if not pick 26 pick 39. Pick 70 seems like a stretch. It would probably have to be 39 before I’d look at it. Overaged less than ideal frame for full time edge ask with 240 on it is a bit of a red flag.

a little light in the pants for on the los ask vs tackles but so is van ginkel. Of course ginkel was a 5th rounder. Would prefer something closer to 250 plus and not losing any of the athlete.

concerns id have for on the los play is is he maxed out physically? Can he carry more weight on the frame etc

as a counter anae carries 257 on his frame. A full 15 lb difference to use vs tackles on the edge. But I don’t think outside of pure situational pass rush he offers you as much as Baun. And I don’t necessarily think anae plays to that size either.

Last edited:
The fact that Zack Baun can play off the ball as a real linebacker is a big draw because of the versatility it presents for your defense.

He's legit good dropping back into coverage, has a natural feel passing lanes and a good back pedal. From a physicality and run fit standpoint, that stuff will come with time and reps, like Tedy Bruschi.

Being able to rotate down and be a pass rusher from the base of being a good off ball linebacker presents real problems to the protection scheme.

Looks like a solid player but just don’t wanna overdraft him. Will he dominate or just be a role player?
I'm thinking a good role player you'll actually remember his name or that he is on the roster....or alive? lol

Baun- assuming we stay at 18, 26, 39.
If he’s there at #39 - we check the board -but he does not make my top 25.

Probably will be on the board at 26, probably gone by 39.

The Fins should have a shot at a quality edge guy at 18(assuming they still have that pick)so Baun may not be a priority later.

Although I am fine with taking more than one DE/Edge player.

Wonder if the FO will look to trade Jerome Baker for a pick in 2020 to find an LB that fits the scheme better

I would be ecstatic about getting Baun, he's moving up the boards pretty quickly. I'd spend a 2nd on him thouth

Wonder if the FO will look to trade Jerome Baker for a pick in 2020 to find an LB that fits the scheme better
On the Locked On podcast that was Travis' surprise move of the offseason. He said we could trade Baker who's a great player overall, just doesn't fit the mold of Coach Flo's LBs, for a day 2 pick and then grab someone like Baun.

Personally would suck to see Baker go because I really do like him, but if we ended up with Baun it would lessen the sting a bit.

Baker is also a leader we need. I wouldn't say his skillset doesn't fit our system. He can rush the passer, cover and stop the run. I also think he is improving faster than most the other players on our roster.

A lot of you see more Dolphins football than I do for sure. However, everytime I focus on Jerome Baker for a few plays he only stands out for me in not such a good way. Everytime I see this guy meet a RB in the hole he gets exposed. Dalvin Cook embarrassed him in the hole in 2018 and I watched Rex Burkhead stiff arm him into a coma against New England.

Baker can run, but when he meets a RB in the hole I've rarely seen anything good. JAG in my opinion.

A lot of you see more Dolphins football than I do for sure. However, everytime I focus on Jerome Baker for a few plays he only stands out for me in not such a good way. Everytime I see this guy meet a RB in the hole he gets exposed. Dalvin Cook embarrassed him in the hole in 2018 and I watched Rex Burkhead stiff arm him into a coma against New England.

Baker can run, but when he meets a RB in the hole I've rarely seen anything good. JAG in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom