Deion Sanders: Stop saying that Tua Tagovailoa is 'injury prone' | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Deion Sanders: Stop saying that Tua Tagovailoa is 'injury prone'

I have to admit to an unusual number of injuries while at Alabama. Miami will use him the right way and we'll protect him within the system that we use. I don't think you'll see free blitzers crushing him like they did Ryan Tannehill. Having said that every time he goes down hard our hearts will stop.

I have to admit to an unusual number of injuries while at Alabama. Miami will use him the right way and we'll protect him within the system that we use. I don't think you'll see free blitzers crushing him like they did Ryan Tannehill. Having said that every time he goes down hard our hearts will stop.
What ever is Tua weakness or dolphins offense line. that is what nfl defense will call to stop him. After 32 game. We all will knows what type qb Tua will be..

He's obviously injury prone. That doesn't detract from his character, but Deion is wrong.

Hey everybody doesn't have to like everybody :)

I can't stand Elway. He was a great player and all but i just don't care for him personally. Maybe because it was always a him vs Marino comparison back in the day :shrug:

Dion was one of the best ever so his opinion is valid regardless
Being great at a sport doesn't mean you are necessary any good at player evaluation or team management.

Just look at any team Michael Jordan has run.

People fall into this trap, which is a nonsensical appeal to authority, all the time.

I'm not saying there aren't many players that can apply the firsthand knowledge they acquired from playing at a high level to make great player evaluations.

But all pro athletes were born with physical gifts that most mortals could only dream of. And a significant portion, to put it bluntly, do not have the intelligence to have ever made it into college if it weren't for those gifts.

I definetly don't assume an all time great isn't a great scout, but I also don't assume they are. I let them prove it and look at their track record.

Last edited:

I can't stand Elway. He was a great player and all but i just don't care for him personally. Maybe because it was always a him vs Marino comparison back in the day :shrug:

I have nothing against Sanders but his statement really doesn’t deal with all the injuries Tua suffered at Alabama. He completely overlooked the ankle injuries and the leg injury and made it appear Tua only suffered one injury at Alabama.
He spent most of the comment praising the character of Tua instead of commenting on the fact Tua did suffer quite a few injuries while at Alabama.

College Tua was injury prone and borderline Fragile. That's just a simple fact. He was an amazing college QB but he did get hurt often. Rooting for Dolphin Tua like nobody's business over here. Hoping Dolphins Tua finds a way to stay healthy and makes Mahomes and Jackson look like amateurs while he becomes the next iron man QB.

College Tua was injury prone and borderline Fragile. That's just a simple fact. He was an amazing college QB but he did get hurt often. Rooting for Dolphin Tua like nobody's business over here. Hoping Dolphins Tua finds a way to stay healthy and makes Mahomes and Jackson look like amateurs while he becomes the next iron man QB.
So u really think Tua is that great. Make mohomes and jackson look like amateur..

Being great at a sport doesn't mean you are necessary any good at player evaluation or team management.

Just look at any team Michael Jordan has run.

People fall into this trap, which is a nonsensical appeal to authority, all the time.

I'm not saying there aren't many players that can apply the firsthand knowledge they acquired from playing at a high level to make great player evaluations.

But all pro athletes were born with physical gifts that most mortals could only dream of. And a significant portion, to put it bluntly, do not have the intelligence to have ever made it into college if it weren't for those gifts.

I definetly don't assume an all time great isn't a great scout, but I also don't assume they are. I let them prove it and look at their track record.
Ppl do this with Marino all the time. They assume he would be a good GM/coach/mentor, or have valuable input in player evaluation. Ppl even do it with Fitz now too.

It just isn't, necessarily, true.

Last edited:
I've never been a fan of sanders. Talks way too much. just like Irvin

The whole refusing to play for a certain team always left a bad taste in my mouth. Never thought much of Eli for the same reason even though he delivered two of my favorite Super Bowls

When he is healthy, Tua is an outstanding QB. Yet in less than 2 years in college he suffered a knee injury, had operations on both of his ankles due to injury and he dislocated his hip. While that doesn’t mean he will continue to suffer injuries in the NFL, the fact is he was injury prone while he played at Alabama.

If you dive deeper into Tua’s injuries you see that the only significant one was his hip. The two surgeries on his ankles (called tight-rope procedures) were 100% elective. It lengthens your tendons and makes it impossible to sprain your ankle the same way. It is cutting edge medical science that numerous athletes in many sports have already gotten (including Jalen Hurts). He sprained his thumb on his throwing hand when it got stuck in the helmet of one of his OL players (freak injury). I‘d argue that Tua was as unlucky with freak, unlikely to reoccur injuries as he was injury prone in college.

Well there are guys like me out there who think his injury history is more than concerning given the pick used to draft him.

I don't like the term "injury prone" because frankly every single NFL player is one bad play away from a career ending injury and some of that is just bad luck. I mean just look at Alex Smith, dude was never injured and then almost lost his leg.
So dismissing Tua's injury history is overlooking reality, saying he's going to break and not have a fruitful career is also being short-sighted since no one really knows.

If your a Miami fan of any magnitude I know one thing, you're now rooting for the kid to break all of Marino's records because if he does chances are we won a few Super Bowls along the way.

Back
Top Bottom