Denial is the first stage of grief... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Denial is the first stage of grief...

I tried to make that point in the spring. There was, literally, nothing to rebuild. We had too many bad contracts, our line wasn't a whole lot better (as a unit) than it is now, we had no avenue to get many young players aside from our normal mid level picks.

It needed to be bulldozed and a new foundation poured, including the "culture". I usually tune out the culture building narrative, but I think it was true, in this case.

Honestly, the only guy I feel bad about letting go was LT, and with what was offered, I have to agree with the move. He is going to command a HUGE contract when he hits the market. Look what James got from Denver. Tunsil is on a whole different level, and we have too many needs.
And on a team with so many holes it is better to have 3 high picks than one good player so I'm fine with the Tunsil trade.

Use the draft picks to add weapons and an o-line and then bring back Tannehill on a cheap deal. Tannehill and Rosen with a boatload of talent around them should be good enough. Who's with me in the "If Tannehill can't do it nobody can!" boat.

It needed to be bulldozed and a new foundation poured, including the "culture". I usually tune out the culture building narrative, but I think it was true, in this case.

I think that's true, and I think it's one of the biggest dangers in an extreme tank job like this. The driving force seems to be "get us a QB and enough talent and the rest will take care of itself." And, really, I'm not sure that's the case. It's kind of like just throwing money at a problem: It only will do so much. You need something more if you want to be a championship team. For the life of me, I can't detect anything in this tank that is telling me what kind of character we are looking for in the players and teams three years from now.

Embrace the suck and look forward to the Draft. This will be an ugly long season but with Draft capital accumulated and the stockpile of cash up our sleeve, the future can be bright. Full marks to the owner and GM Chris Grier for having the guts to blow it up and completely re-engineer the team. In hindsight I expect us to be able to look back on this season as the painful year that was necessary to correct the problem of repetitive mediocrity.
I may be in the minority but I think that Grier is showing some skill in the negotiations to extract high Draft picks from desperate GMs/coaches. When was the last time that Miami could say that about a GM? We are the party that traditionally gets screwed in the negotiations.

Last edited:
This is me admitting that I was wrong. I was in denial that my beloved Dolphins, a team that I've cheered for since I was a kid, would purposely "tank" so that they could set themselves up in better draft position this next year (or two). I was naive. I tried to justify all these moves and insisted that it was not a "tank" but rather a "rebuild." Call it what you want, but this is absolutely a tank. This last trade with the Steelers was the final straw for me. It is disappointing for me that the team doesn't seem to care about winning games this year, but at the same time I'm starting to buy into the plan.

I'm not going to quit watching this team play on Sunday's, I'm just going to take the loss's much easier. Rooting against the Steelers and the Texans (and possibly the Saints) is also going to make Sunday's a little bit more exciting.

As painful as this season is going to be, these next couple of drafts are going to be a blast to watch and analyze, and I have a lot of hope about the future of this franchise.

Regarding this current team, which players do you think have potential to stick on the starting lineup the next couple of years? I know a lot of people are saying get rid of everybody (except maybe X) and start over, but that isn't really feasible. I think the team could keep Jerome Baker, Michael Deiter, Sam Eguavoen, Mike Gesicki, Davon Godchaux, Xavien Howard, Jason Sanders, Christian Wilkins, Preston Williams, and Albert Wilson as possible starters and players like Kalen Ballage, Vince Biegel, Jonathan Ledbetter, Andrew Van Ginkel, Chandler Cox, Jesse Davis, Jakeem Grant, Charles Harris, John Jenkins, Patrick Laird, Bobby McCain, Raekwon McMillian, Durham Smythe, Julien Davenport, and Josh Rosen staying on as depth. Other young players currently on this roster may develop and be worth keeping around as well, but that gives us about 30 open roster spots that we can fill via the draft and free agency. Another thing to keep in mind is that some of these players may be better than they look on Sundays, as it's difficult to shine when everybody around you is hot garbage.

April can't get here soon enough! Go Fins!
Don’t hope for the saints to tank. They might actually snatch a QB early.

I don't think anyone expected the team to be good, I know it's fun to think so, just not historically bad. 4 - 6 wins maybe, now that's looking like 0 - 1, not a huge difference and yes 0 - 1 is better. My thinking was it would just be hard to lose that many games but these guys nailed it in the last couple weeks leading up to the season. Nailed it, they left nothing to chance.

Also, lets say we stuck with the Gase "win now" method. Look at him, he's 0-2 and hos roster is dropping like flies. Guarantee he brings in an old friend to play QB for the next 3 weeks lol.
Actually many thought we would be average but they weren’t following the money.... zero money spent in FA the tell all

I said it would take until week 4 for everyone to fully embrace the tank. I was wrong. It only took 2 games.
Some People have left not willing to admit wrong they just flake off

Few will be contrarians because that is the role they embrace

Just follow the money it will tell you all you need to know about the appetite of the FO to win

It's a lot easier to watch the team on Sunday when you don't have high expectations. I'll admit that I thought the defense would be competitive, but after week 1 I was aware that there will be a lot of blowouts. I'll watch every week and start the opposing players in Fanduel lineups. I've never looked forward to an offseason more than this year. I hope our one win is the Redskins, because the local radio, here in DC, would be amazing that Monday. I know a few Redskins fans that wish they were doing the same thing the Dolphins are right now.

Back
Top Bottom