Deon Dyer may be gone (merged FB fight) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Deon Dyer may be gone (merged FB fight)

He won't beat out Dyer. Once the get the ball in Dyers hands they'll see that he can catch just as good as Femi and Dyer has the advantage blocking.

I like Dyer as a player as well. He could play on my team anyday. I just can not understand why they would sign a veteran FB at this late stage of pre-season. This does not look like a training camp-fodder type player.

Considering how late in the game he was available...perhaps he is what they say, injury insurance. They're just gonna shake things out and see whats up. Dyer needs to be pushed I think he may get a bit comfy because he knows that nobody on the roster can power block like him so he thinks his roster spot's always secure because who else would you use in goal line situations.

Lets see what Femi can do. He comes with serious limitations (can't pass block for CRAP, major fumblitis).

Do you guys realize that we drafted the top rated FB in two years in a row?? Both Dyer and Konrad were pretty much recognized by everyone as the top dogs when they came out.

I'm just going to assume that Wanny and Norv have a plan on this one and I'm sure it's a good one. Whomever is back there will, hopefully, do very well.

"Wannstedt said the Dolphins could carry six running backs on the regular-season roster. However, it's unlikely the team would carry two fullbacks."

"Wannstedt also declared Konrad's starting job open for competition."

From the Sun Sentinal

The competition is on folks.

No that's just it...

Originally posted by Phinstd
This from The Sporting News.

The addition of fullback Obafemi Ayanbadejo makes things interesting because he fits the Norv Turner system more than backup Deon Dyer. Ayanbadejo is a good pass catcher and runner, in the Rob Konrad mold, while Dyer is the pure lead blocker. Getting Ayanbadejo, who spent the last three seasons with Baltimore, is a good move because of the competition it will create. . . .

Sounds like the team may be thinking about letting go of Dyer. If so we better get close to that 4th rd pick back for him.

It would be a mistake to let him go unless Konrad improves his blocking.

... yes for any FB blocking is important, but in this offense if that's all you can do, you are not going to last very long. The only chance Dyer has of staying is that he has improved his catching ability significantly over the off-season. I shomehow doubt he has.

This is not a offense that the FB is an important part of the running game as far as lead blocking for the HB. The OL and basically the WR's down the field are meant for that. The FB is either going to go out for a pass or pass block for the QB.

Oliver...

Hmmm...

Originally posted by clayton83
i hope it's that friggin' konrad that is let go. that overrated stiff hasn't proved a thing yet, and now there is talk of giving konrad more money and losing dyer in the process.

please god, NOOOOOOOO!

dyer is a real football player and we need a lot more of those, not injury prone, overhyped slow guys that string us along year after year and are a waste of precious cap money.

:monkey: on peter jennings,

courtesy of the red, white and blue!!

... I guess you forget Konrads rookie season, the only season he was actually given the opportunity to catch balls? Gailey rarely threw the ball to the FB or the TE.

Konrad has proven nothing, what exactly has Dyer proven? Seems to me someone may be a lil biased here.

For me I want the FB's who can actually catch balls, rather than a FB like Dyer who even if he catches the ball he can't do a damn thing with it after. Who do you think has a better chance of scoring a TD Konrad or Dyer?

Oliver...

No they do not use the FB...

Originally posted by booyeah_
I don't like the idea of cutting Dyer. Sure he may not fit the system perfectly, but so what. I think they'll be many times this season where Ricky is gonna need a big blocking fullback.

... that way, the FB is there to catch passes and pass block for the QB. What this all comes down to IMO, is who is the best special teams player.

Oliver...

LOL no he doesnt Muck...

Originally posted by Muck
Deon Dyer fits EVERYONE'S system.

... Dyer is not a pass catching FB, he is not as athletic as Konrad or Ayanbadejo out of the backfield with the football.

Dyer is a wrecking ball, but he's a wrecking ball that won't be used in this offense, why keep him then?

This all comes down to who is the better special teams player Dyer or Ayanbadejo.

Oliver...

I kind of agree with oliver...even though I love the player that Dyer is.....if he can't catch passess out of the backfield well enough to beat NFL defenders, then the Dolphins would have almost no choice but to let him go. If the fullback position is so important to Norv's offense then you have to have two that are similar in style. It would be nice to have that big banger down on the goal line......but what if Konrad gets hurt(what are the chance of that NOT happening?) in a game and we're stuck with Dyer running around all un-coordinated in the passing game? If Dyer hasn't improved alot with his pass catching(and route running and YAC) and we aren't going to keep three fullbacks, then he has to go. No question about it. But here's thought to soften the blow...picture this.....you're a middle linebacker against the Dolphins....the fins have 3rd and 1.....your responsibility is to hit the hole. HARD!......the ball is snapped....a hole opens up.... you fill it.....only to be met head on by a 270 lb lead blocker named ....Shawn Draper........good night!:D

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
"Wannstedt said the Dolphins could carry six running backs on the regular-season roster. However, it's unlikely the team would carry two fullbacks."

"Wannstedt also declared Konrad's starting job open for competition."

From the Sun Sentinal

The competition is on folks.
here's the link Free-for-all at fullback kicks off The article's point is that Konrad should be able to do all the Norv want from a FB, but must prove it. It's point on DD is that he must play better/well on ST to win the backup role. Seems that Ayanbadejo experience in both areas makes him reasonable competition to win either role, but that both players from 2001 were underutilized by Chan so need to prove themselves to Norv

P.S.

I would love to see Konrad win the starting job and catch 4-5 passes a game while we build up a lead going into the 4th Q and then have DD come in to blow away LBs while RW is grinding out those clock killing 4th Q drives.

Re: P.S.

Originally posted by dolphan39
I would love to see Konrad win the starting job and catch 4-5 passes a game while we build up a lead going into the 4th Q and then have DD come in to blow away LBs while RW is grinding out those clock killing 4th Q drives.

This post got me pumped! Thanks, 39.

Back
Top Bottom