Deon Dyer may be gone (merged FB fight) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Deon Dyer may be gone (merged FB fight)

The problem is this...

Originally posted by dolphan39
I would love to see Konrad win the starting job and catch 4-5 passes a game while we build up a lead going into the 4th Q and then have DD come in to blow away LBs while RW is grinding out those clock killing 4th Q drives.

... the Dolphins will not be running a offense that requires a brusing FB. It's nice to have a bruising FB when you run that type of offense, we don't anymore. If Konrad was starting when we ran a brusing offense (Gailey's) why would that change now that we are about to run a offense that suits his talents?

Oliver...

Re: Re: P.S.

Originally posted by Capt. Dick

This post got me pumped! Thanks, 39.
Of course Konrad had only 5 catches last year and has not been used by Jay/Chan. But we have no TEs that are blockers like Goodwin - unless Draper that ex-OT is - so we need to have FB that can block for short yardage IMO.

here's another article from the Herald about this: http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/sports/football/nfl/miami_dolphins/3745483.htm

''Is it open?'' Wannstedt said. ``I don't know. But I'm not positive what these guys are going to do, and that makes it exciting. So I guess it is open for competition.''

You still need the a fullback who will get in there in short yardage siuation and just drive his man..Im sorry if any one job is secured is Dyer and I think femi was brought here to bring out the best of Konrad and Dyer.I know last offseason Dyer was working hard on his receiving skills but was slow down due to an injury and Now he might show that he can also catch out the backfield....

Last edited by a moderator:
fins fullbacks fight????????????

why all the fight for a spot?
whats so great about konrad other than he "could catch better than dyer"?
dyer supposedly worked on it all off season while konrad's blocking simply sux! he was pointed out for missed assignments on a few televised games. and his catching?

what about all his drops? attributed at the time to hitting the "rookie wall" midway thru first season here.

his drops weren't a whole lot better next season either albeit he got less throws (had to be partly because of drops wouldn't ya think?)

and if deon's catching got better how about his bone jarring blocks helping ricky this season?

i for one don't want to see dyer in anything but aqua this season!

well what does everyone else feel?

Originally posted by inFINSible But here's thought to soften the blow...picture this.....you're a middle linebacker against the Dolphins....the fins have 3rd and 1.....your responsibility is to hit the hole. HARD!......the ball is snapped....a hole opens up.... you fill it.....only to be met head on by a 270 lb lead blocker named ....Shawn Draper........good night!:D

You DO mean a MLB in PRE-SEASON, BEFORE Draper gets cut, right???

I don't see how...

Originally posted by minus
You still need the a fullback who will get in there in goaline siuation and just drive his man..Im sorry if any one job is secured is dyer and I think femi was brought here to bring out the best of konrad and Dyer.I know last offseason Dyer was working hard on his receiving skills but was slow down due to an injury.Now he might show that he can also catch out the backfield....

... in modern football you can justify keeping a FB just for goal line situations, when you have 2 other FB's that fit your offense the majority of the time. Maybe this would be the case back in the 80's, but not in today's NFL, IMO.

Plus I'm sorry I don't buy into this concept that Dyer is a better blocker than Konrad. If that were the case Dyer should have been starting the last 2-years seeing as how Gailey ran the type of offense that liked the better blocking FB over the pass catching FB.

Oliver...

Dyer is a better power blocker,but he can't hit a moving target for crap. He puts his head down and lunges a whole lot. He also picks the wrong man to block alot. He does put a wallop on his man but I'd like to see him have more overall consistency in his game.

He's a tough SOB and is great for blocking!!! i agree we should go with Dyer...

Re: Konrad, Dyer and the other guy

Originally posted by jaxdolfan
The word on the street is that Ayayaypendejo is a fumbler not unlike McKnight.

This guy is training camp fodder and insurance in case of injury. Dyer caught some balls in preseason last year....along with Hunter Goodwin.

i heard the fumbling thing also and it was shown sometime last year when he left it on the ground and ravens coach blasted him coming off the field. atleast i would bet it was him that happened too?????

Re: No that's just it...

Originally posted by Oliver

...The FB is either going to go out for a pass or pass block for the QB.

Oliver...

and thats my point Konrad blew his assignments on more than one occasion last season.

and his early season catches fizzled off bigtime his rookie year as he dropped everything that came his way, and every game analyst/commentator pointed that out so no one could miss it.

I consider Konrad the classic "break your heart" player. He has just always SEEMED to be on the verge of either, getting into the end zone, picking up that key first down, or making that great catch, only to fall just short of it.

Just never good, or consistent enough to make it happen consistently. Has he matured at this point in his career? Who knows? Will we EVER see his full potential come to fruition in Miami? Who knows? Will he continue as a heartbreaker? Again, who knows?

Originally posted by scotgif

You DO mean a MLB in PRE-SEASON, BEFORE Draper gets cut, right???

I searched and I couldn't find it but....I know that somewhere in in all the Dolphins News I have read today, Wannstedt praised Draper. That's the only reason I brought it up...you're probably right though, unless Draper turns into Super Man, his only action will be in preseason. I think even if he looks improved and promising, he would have a hard time getting a roster spot.

Poiny of all this is that Turner's scheme does not use a FB to lead the RB through the hole. He uses him to come out of the backfield and catch passes or stay in and pass block.

Gailey had a traditional use for the FB as a guy who leads through the hole and blasts his man before the RB gets there.

If we don't use the FB for what Dyer is good at then his value is greatly diminished and he is not entitled to a roster spot at that point.If he can do the other things needed of the position he'll make the team,plain and simple.

Back
Top Bottom